New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Geocites.... Ack.
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 13, 2003 08:26PM

Does anyone here have a geocities website?

And if so, are they having problems logging in at the moment?

It's really annoying me, because I have some site updates I want to do and it's being very antisocial....

Also could a few people just check for me that my website is viewable? I can see it but that doesn't always mean everyone can. The link is in my profile.

Thank you all very much!

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Re: Geocites.... Ack.
Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 13, 2003 08:28PM

Hey Sarah, if that was a ruse to get the visitor count up for your site it worked - I just fell for it!

And a very nice site it is too :)

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: August 13, 2003 08:37PM

Sarah, I can get to your site but it loads very slow. Geocities probably got hit by the worm virus that's floating around.

I know my company got nailed by it last night badly - blew out an entire server.

Date: August 13, 2003 08:46PM

No, it wasn't a ruse, but if it works that way I'm not going to complain. ;-)

Actually my member count is very good - 12248 as of writing - which is total for just over a year. Not bad for a very amateur site with some fanfic and pictures on.

If geocities has been hit by a worm then I guess my best option is to sit tight and wait. Would you believe I can't find an e-mail address for anyone at Geocities or Yahoo anywhere on the yahoo/geocities site?

--------------

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 13, 2003 09:12PM

Hmmm. My site's hosted by geocities, maybe I should check it. I so want to update it, but now I've replaced the printer cable that went missing during the renovations to my flat, I since lost the scanner lead. I know I had that, because I was wondering if I could substitute it for the printer lead. Now I can't find the $%%$$£ thing.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 14, 2003 12:42PM

Sarah B _
Your site seems to be opening OK, and not particularly slowly, on this computer.

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 14, 2003 12:44PM

Simon... my curiosity has finally got the better of me, and I have to ask this question.

Who, or what, is Botchkamos Istochnik?

(PS Book and CDs shall be posted back to you on Monday. Sorry it took so long!)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: splat21 (213.38.32.---)
Date: August 14, 2003 12:56PM

Sarah B I managed to get into your site quickly with no problems - maybe they've fixed the virus now(?) Like your site btw :)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: August 14, 2003 03:13PM

Sarah _
Botchkamos Istochnik was the name that the Russians gave to Tunbridge Wells after it was granted to them as war reparations back in the 1980s, of course... I'd thought that you, as another fan of Baroque music, might have recognised the origin of this semi-translated quotation...
(Hint: GFH)

(PS: That's OK. Did you like the book enough that you'd be interested in borrowing the next volume in that series too, or not?)

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Date: August 14, 2003 06:12PM

I don't remember Handel having had anything in particular against Tunbridge Wells. Must ask my dad - he knows about things like that.

I would love to borrow the next volume in the series - thanks! I really enjoyed the first book, as I thought it had a wonderful combination of suspense and humour. You're right about Austin, too. He's just like an older, slightly more crotchety version of Minsky.

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: August 14, 2003 07:10PM

Handel attended a performance (by a local society of amateur singers?) of his oratorio 'The Messiah' in Tunbridge Wells, and was decidely NOT impressed by this: "God rot Tunbridge Wells!" is alleged to have been his response afterwards...

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Date: August 14, 2003 07:19PM

Ah, I see! Thanks for that. :-)

Sarah

Date: August 14, 2003 10:39PM

Thank you to people who like my site! :)

Still doesn't work. Hmm...

--------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.