New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
*tiptoes in*
Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: August 14, 2003 04:30PM

Hi, I've just returned from my holidays (hmmm still 3 days till work though), and I do want to start re-posting here.... apart from what some people might think ;)
I'm just afraid I won't be able to, but I'll try to at least keep up with the latest infos. So, what's new?

England has been hotter than Portugal ;)

Q: What to do when you can't breathe, in a city you're visiting?
A: Go to the local shopping centre (ie air conditioning) and go watch a movie (2 hours without thinking of heat)

--- gosh I'm hopeless ----

By the way, Gaia has a very nice indian restaurant hehe

Re: *tiptoes in*
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 14, 2003 04:40PM

What's new? Well, there's the suggested pantomime. (See the latter stages of 'Role Play Game', all of 'The Panto Loons', & maybe a few references in one or two of this page's other threads as well...)

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Post Edited (08-14-03 18:58)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 14, 2003 06:32PM

SB - nothing much new, Sarah and Dave R are still using the fforum for their conversation, rather than , say, shouting down the stairs at each other, there's a new chatroom, and er, not much else.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 14, 2003 06:38PM

Well, Klinsmann the small evil ginger cat did get kicked out of the gutter, of course...

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: August 15, 2003 02:36AM

Sarah, he's not one of those vindictive evil ginger cats, is he? <Starting to get concerned>

Date: August 15, 2003 12:08PM

Yes, he is... but it's all right, Minsky's keeping an eye on him!

Klinsmann is intelligent enough to enjoy being evil, but not quite intelligent enough to realise that being good is the better policy in the long term. Minsky, however, is superintelligent, and consequently has morals, which for a cat is quite astonishing. (That is absolutely true and not just whimsy, by the way - I could tell you some quite amazing anecdotes about Minsky's social conscience.) So with Minsky to police him and Heidi to give him a good wash whenever he gets too uppity, he shouldn't actually be a threat.

He's still in a sulk, by the way. I think it's something along the lines of "every time I try to take over the world, I get washed by my sister... how's a cat to become an evil criminal mastermind with family like that?"

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 15, 2003 02:47PM

The cats are exactly as drawn in 'The Nextarillion' (unfortunately), or were until their recent transformation into outdoor cats while Sarah was away.

Minsky is that smart, though it pains me to say so, as it would Dave Rubach.

I'll leave the 'Minsky is smart' material to N4, however.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 15, 2003 05:00PM

I'm an SB too.

How confusing.

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2003 05:06PM

I think PSD's just gotten acronym happy, SarryFairy. MOST of us just call her Bea :-P

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 15, 2003 05:10PM

Sarah,

I guess that's the one advantage of having so many cats. (The only one, mind you, at least from my perspective.)

N.

Date: August 15, 2003 06:16PM

Heidi's take on the Klinsmann situation is as follows: "How on earth is one supposed to get one's picture in the Tatler with family like that?"

That's cats for you. They're only human. ;-)

Sarah

Posted by: Jen (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: August 15, 2003 08:44PM

My cat Macduff is as dumb as a bag of hammers but very good natured. Think "ignorance is bliss" and you've got the DuffMan. Grublet, however, is *very* smart and fairly-to-moderately evil (mostly to Macduff), however very small.

She's a bit like Wile Coyote, you can see hunkered down under something, or hiding behind a door, just waiting for Macduff to walk by, and when he does bam! She jumps him. She never wins the ensuing battle, though, because he's twice the size of her.

However, she does try at least once a day, bless her. Maybe I should tell her about the Acme company?

Date: August 15, 2003 10:27PM

Macduff sounds like my Chomsky, who is Minsky's brother. Minsky got all the dignity in that litter as well as all the brains, but I still think Chomsky is a sweetie!

Grublet had better not be introduced to Klinsmann. It would be a really dreadful combination. Klinsmann never tires of inventing new forms of evil to commit, but his favourite is what is known in this house as "yuckling". Yuckling another cat involves waiting till they head for the food bowl, and then insinuating yourself in the way so that they keep having to push you away in order to eat. There is no excuse for yuckling, as there are four food bowls, one for each cat, and they are regularly kept topped up (I free-feed).

The cats have been out all night every night since my return, the weather being what it is, and a morning ritual has evolved in that time. It goes like this:

1. Open back door and let all four cats in.
2. Wait till complaints are registered, usually by Minsky walking up and giving me a meaningful look. This does not take long.
3. Pick up Klinsmann and throw him out again.
4. Wait for other cats to finish breakfast.
5. Open door again, let other cats out, let Klinsmann in to eat breakfast alone.

Now if he'd just learn to behave himself, he'd get to eat at the same time as everyone else!

Sarah

Date: August 15, 2003 10:42PM

Sarah, Grublet yuckles (not sure if that's right) as well. I have to sequester her when I'm feeding them "special treats" like tuna, of Macduff would never get a look in.

She knows she's not supposed to be doing it too, she keeps throwing furtive glances at me as she heads over to the food while Macduff is eating ....

We've had to come to an agreement about her jumping onto the counter, as well. As long as I don't see it, it's not happening.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 15, 2003 10:49PM

Skiffle was feeling lively in the bathroom this afternoon. She suddenly decided to lunge forward, spin, and take a swipe at Diesel. Unfortunately, she hadn't allowed for the fact that instead of a carpet, there's now a vinyl floor. A slippery, vinyl floor. Skiffle ended up sprawled on her side looking most undigified, while I tried not to laugh too much.

Date: August 15, 2003 10:59PM

It's so funny when they do that! Heidi occasionally misjudges when she leaps on the wooden chest in the living room, and takes a very unladylike slide which I have to pretend I didn't see...

Sarah

Date: August 15, 2003 11:04PM

It's so funny when they do that! Heidi occasionally misjudges when she leaps on the wooden chest in the living room, and takes a very unladylike slide which I have to pretend I didn't see...

Sarah

Date: August 15, 2003 11:31PM

And then they look at you with the "I meant to do that of course" face.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 16, 2003 12:00AM

Skiffle didn't bother. She just took it out on Diesel.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 16, 2003 11:09AM

Sarah _
So that is what "yuckling" is... You've used the term before, and I'd been meaning to ask for a definition. Did the word originate in some region's dialect, presumably with a vaguely similar meaning, or was it coined by yourself (or by Minsky?)?

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.