New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 16
Dr Who
Posted by: Mrs Next (---.cable.ubr03.brad.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 13, 2006 07:32PM

Five minutes into the latest programme (I'm addicted, what can I say) there are Zeppelins, pictures that move, has the writer read Jasper? I'll update after the episode finishes!

Re: Dr Who
Posted by: robcraine (83.218.25.---)
Date: May 13, 2006 09:37PM

No dodos from what I saw...

And what are you doing posting on here while the show's on?

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: 198505 (---.stb.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 13, 2006 11:01PM

I was thinking more Steam Punk meets Kricket ( the nobs living on the Zeppelins) than Fforde.
google Castel Frankenstien, or steam punk for more details.

Posted by: vampire (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 06:09AM

I watched a couple episodes of Dr. Who recently, almost by accident, and they were, as it appears those here already know, utterly glorious.
Not knowing the backstory, though, much of it didn't make any sense, and what with the long history of the show and the various incarnations of it, I haven't got a clue where to begin. Help?

Post Edited (05-20-06 07:09)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wants it? How Gollum-esque!

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 20, 2006 04:29PM

Hard to say, which did you see?

Posted by: robcraine (83.218.26.---)
Date: May 20, 2006 09:10PM

Well... you should start at the beginning, and carry on until you get to the end.

But thats one heck of a lot of TV episodes.... I think starting at the beginning of the current two bbc series might be a good idea - they were certainly written for new fans and old, and will have most of the relevent backstory in. Although there are one or two in jokes.

But... for a brief potted history... the Doctor travels through time and spave with the help of a TARDIS (Time And Reletive Dimension In Space - shaped like a police telephone box to prevent suspicion. Although surely only 50ish years of british history contains such boxes...) and one or two more or less dimwitted assistants, who he can keep explaining the plot to.

He is a Time Lord... which means he has two hearts and can 'regenerate' a certain number of times when he dies, an event which coincides with an actor quitting, or losing, his job.

There were more TimeLords, but after a battle with the Daleks, both races were assumed extinct...

Now Watch On...

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2006 12:17AM

Amazon.com is selling the dvd set of the first stories. I am almost ready to buy the set, but the site said it didn;t know the region of the dvds so it couldn;t guarantee they would work.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (---.cable.ubr04.king.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 21, 2006 12:54AM

Seconding Rob's suggestion: if you want to get into it without getting beffuddled, the easiest way is getting hold of the more recent series (starting a year ago or so). These were done about fifteen years after the last lot, so were done so that people who'd not seen the earlier lot could get into it, and start from the point of view of a pretty ordinary english girl.

Rob Craine's description fits fine, if you replace the one or two dimwitted assistants with about twenty or so . The "back- references" to shows before then are often only noticeable if you know what you're looking for, and are rarely necessary for understanding the plot (and if they are, they're explained).

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Mrs Next (---.cable.ubr03.brad.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 21, 2006 04:18PM

OK, then guys, favourite doctor and assistant? Before the new series I would have said Tom Baker and K9 but now I'm not so sure!

Date: May 21, 2006 04:37PM

Silvester MaCoy and Sophie whats her name, she played Ace.

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: May 21, 2006 05:52PM

Tom Baker's Doctor and Leela (Louisa Jameson) were the best combination, at least my dad didn't complain about us watching it whilst she was in it.

I stopped watching it when Peter Davidson took over. He was naff.

Posted by: robcraine (83.218.27.---)
Date: May 21, 2006 08:31PM

I'm going to say Paul McGann... cos I'm sure no-one else will ;)

Rob

------

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: May 22, 2006 02:19PM

Best Doctor was Jon Pertwee, with Bessie (that was the name of the car, right?) and Jo. Admittedly I haven't seen all that many of any of the old shows, but Pertwee was fun in the ones I have seen.

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Posted by: Haylo (---.no-dns-yet.ntli.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 06:03PM

I'm going to stick up for Chris Ecclestone- if he hadn't put in such an amazing performance I never would have gotten hooked on the new series. Having only watched a few of what must have been the worst of the old episodes you couldn't have paid me to watch Dr Who before the new series came on...

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (---.cable.ubr04.king.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 23, 2006 06:35PM

For reference, has anyone else watched the episode "The Mind Robber"? (Patrick Troughton era). Just thought while watching it how Nextian it was in content and feel.

I'm torn between McCoy and Tom Baker, but that might just be which ones I've seen.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: tieff (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 06:47AM

Am I the only phorum member old enough to remember William Hartnell, the first doctor? That aside, I vote for Jon Pertwee, through Christopher Ecclestone came a close second. Pity he left. Can't get the current series here in Germany, so I'm relying on my children in UK to video them!!
The DVDs are Europe area (02, if I remember correctly) - you should be able to get a good DVD player to change area or set to 00 for all areas.

Date: May 24, 2006 07:31PM

I remember a post somewhere saying that Christopher Ecclestone was stunned to see the action figure of himself as The Doctor, and it would seem to be at that point that he decided to quit

Date: May 27, 2006 08:56PM

What was Aunt Eller doing as the (quite weak imo) baddie in this week's episode??!!!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: May 28, 2006 03:45AM

Call me a musical freak (go ahead, do! I'd be proud!), but is this the same Aunt Eller as in Oklahoma! (where the wind comes sweeping down the plain)?

Date: May 28, 2006 11:55AM

MuseSusan- you're a musical freak lol!

Yep, Maureen Lipman who played Aunt Eller in the 98/99 London production of Oklahoma played the baddie in this week's episode of Dr Who. I know she's done lots of t.v work, it was just strange seeing someone like her on it, especially when I adore that production of Oklahoma and now always see Maureen Lipman as Aunt Eller as she did such an amazing job in that role...

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.