New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: blogs
Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: March 30, 2003 06:12PM

Yup, I know about Terry's P's views, and the reasons for them, which is why I asked. I wouldn't bother with straight fanfic, myself - I agree with Jon's points there - but crossovers and parodies are fun.

If I get around to doing anything of the sort, I certainly wouldn't post it direct to here, but what I was actually meaning was whether Mr Fforde would frown upon its very existence, as some authors do, or whether it would just be the legal questions that were the problem.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: March 30, 2003 06:14PM

*shrugs* I write B7 fanfic because, to be honest, the characters were often wasted on the plots in the original series. Not to mention the sets, for heaven's sake. To quote Paul Darrow himself, "the special effects weren't very special". So it's an interesting challenge to take all these wonderful characters and set them in a storyline where they can appear to full advantage. Avon, for instance, is a full-scale tragic hero (or anti-hero) who wouldn't have been out of place in the hands of Shakespeare; however, in the hands of some of the writers who got hold of him, it took all Mr Darrow's considerable acting skills to prevent him looking ridiculous. Several scriptwriters got hold of the characters, some were better than others (aaaah, Robert Holmes and "Gambit" - now that _was_ a good episode), and I don't have a problem with having a go myself and seeing if I can do any better in what is, after all, a completely different medium.

Having said all that, I am much more in agreement about fanfic based on books. I wouldn't have written anything involving the Discworld if it hadn't been a crossover story, and in all honesty I think there _is_ a case for crossover fanfic because the original authors certainly aren't going to write it. Let's face it, working out the implications of what happens when crabby, unsociable Avon meets crabby, unsociable Granny Weatherwax is jolly good fun. But I don't see the point of writing stuff which is simply and solely based on one book, or one series of books, and on that point, Jon, I think you and I are in full agreement.

Oh, and don't anyone get me started on slash... grrr... I have one very strict rule: if you are ever going to use anyone else's characters, then respect the way they were originally written and don't try to go outside it. If you want to write about a man and an elf having a gay relationship, then that's fine, but if you decide to call them Aragorn and Legolas then I may just possibly kill you. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Oh, all right. Do it if you must. Just don't _tell_ me about it and then we'll all be happy, OK? ;-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: skiffle (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 30, 2003 06:29PM

Nearly a decade ago (as memory serves) I wrote to the company that publishes the 'Star Wars' novels. I had an idea for a book about Wedge and Rogue Squadron that I wanted to write. Being even more obscure than I am now, and not having had any sci-fi published, they turned down my brilliant idea.
Three or four years later, up pops a series of X-Wing novels.

Of course, they might have thought of the idea anyway.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: March 30, 2003 07:04PM

*awful realisation dawns as she recalls what she said about Avon in the last post*

BLAKE: ... And so, my trusty comrades, we commence
Our desperate...

AVON (interrupts): Blake, one thing thou hast forgot.

VILA (aside): Forsooth, methinks these two again will dispute;
I'll hie away and find another drink.

JENNA: _They_ would dispute! Stay, Vila, if you will,
Or bring thou me at least that same decoction;
I'faith, I'm dying for a decent line.

CALLY: Thou speak'st also for me.

VILA: Why, marry, good ladies, follow me and we shall make merry together!

AVON: Hold thy peace, thou scurvy, impudent knave.

BLAKE (slightly desperately): So we commence our deed of derring-do,
But, speak thou, Avon - what have I forgot?

AVON: Thou hast forgotten that our noble bark,
Still smitten by the stormy gales of war,
Hath need of rest that damage be undone.

VILA: He says we shouldn't, and for once he's right.

CALLY (telepathically): Full marks for scansion, Vila, zero for style.

BLAKE: It is a chance, my friend, a desp'rate chance.

AVON (sneering magnificently): "My friend," say'st thou? Nay, I am no man's friend!
And if by chance our paths should coincide,
Why, what of that? So might the feeble path
Of some poor comet cross a massy star's;
So might the...

ZEN (interrupts): Information. Let me speak.

AVON (more or less resigned to loss of soliloquy): What would that damn'd computer with us now?

Please feel free to continue this!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: April 02, 2003 04:01AM

ROFL!

BTW, I thought Robert Holmes was one of the better writers for Dr. Who as well. I recall hearing a story about when he was hired to do one of his early Tom Baker shows (Talons of Weng Chiang?), or possibly one of the later Pertwee ones. The producers told him to be sure not to do something like an eariler show (one of the ones with the Autons) which involved clowns running around killing people and chairs and dolls attacking people, which had frightened children. He calmly nodded his head and agreed not to write anything like that, while carefully neglecting to point out that he'd actually written the show in question.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.