New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
This is fun...
Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: March 05, 2003 12:06AM

Seeing as I managed to introduce Jasper to the concept of The Game over Microcon, I thought I'd see if I could get the fforumites interested in The Game as well.

The Game is very simple to play. It only has 3 rules.
(1) As soon as you know about The Game, you are playing The Game.
(2) When you know you are playing The Game, you are losing The Game.
(3) When you have forgotten you are playing The Game, you have won The Game.

Therefore, you are all playing The Game now. You are all losing The Game now. When you have left this page, and have forgotten about The Game, you will be winning it.

When you lose The Game, you announce "I've lost!" At this point, most people around you will wonder what the hell you are talking about. But others, those who know about The Game, will swear and attempt to hit you, because you will have reminded them about The Game, and they will have lost, too.

Of course, you can also play it the way that we seem to be playing it a lot round here - when you lose, you go up to someone that you know is playing The Game, and tell them "You've just lost!" Then they try to hit you. Initiate all your friends into The Game. Let's make this a world wide movement.

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Re: This is fun...
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: March 05, 2003 11:23PM

World-wide movement of people slapping me? Hmm, not sure I like the sound of that.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Mr Flibble (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: March 07, 2003 02:19PM

Jo, I've just lost now, you are soooooooooo annoying.
I think it's about the 8th time today. STILL in slight shock about you telling Mr Fforde about the GAME. I love my signed badge :D

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: March 07, 2003 02:25PM

hmm, lots of new people on the fforum recently (howdy, y'all), but with no profiles! how odd.

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: March 07, 2003 05:02PM

WHOIS Mr Flibble?
I'm guessing I know you (from the whole ex.ac.uk thing), but who are you?

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: March 07, 2003 05:08PM

The no profiles thing just means they haven't set up a profile. I discovered the other day (from another computer) that you can, in fact, post without setting up a profile, and you get to just type something into the name field (and it presumably uses the email addy you used to enter the Fforum).

The good news is, you can't use something that's already being used by someone with a profile (or you get an error message telling you that name is already in use, so you've got to use another). So to post as "Magda" I had to log in as me.

Which means that once you've nabbed a name in your profile, you've got dibs on it.

Post Edited (03-08-03 03:45)

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: March 07, 2003 06:52PM

Oh good. The idea of a rash of PSD imitators scares me almost as much as it should scare you. I keep forgetting to mention the game, as I keep forgetting about it. Am I a natural or very bad?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: March 09, 2003 03:39PM

Sounds like you are very good at it :)
I, on the other hand, am very bad at it, and therefore enjoy taking people down with me <grin>
Just wait till I come back to Stratford! I'll enjoy telling all and sundry about the Game :)
Nice to see some more Exeter bods on the fforums :)

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Date: March 09, 2003 04:47PM

Dammit! I'd forgotten again...

PSD

==========

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: March 21, 2003 02:29PM

DAVE! I LOST!

PSD

==========

Date: March 21, 2003 02:32PM

*suddenly remembers about The Game*

*searches for the Fforum Macro*

*thud*
*thud*
*thud*

*attempts to hit PSD for reminding him about The Game*

Date: March 21, 2003 02:46PM

Anybody else pissed off with me?

PSD

==========

Posted by: Mr Flibble (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: March 21, 2003 02:52PM

I've lost. I hate you Jo. You're soooo mean every time I think of Jasper Fforde or Creme Eggs or you or Xnet or Nadriel - it is quite quite annoying. I am Lightweight on the Exeter forums - a slight Mr Flibble obsession due to Red Dwarf submersion from an early age.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: March 21, 2003 02:55PM

PSD: Yes.

Date: March 21, 2003 02:57PM

jo doesn't apear to be about much at the mo - so i made sure
I emailed her - mwhahahaha!

PSD

==========

Date: March 21, 2003 03:00PM

well done that man.

Posted by: adam (---.environment-agency.gov.uk)
Date: March 21, 2003 03:03PM

If I refuse to play the game on anti-social grounds, does that mean I win?

btw : when I say 'on anti-social grounds' I'm not talking about Elland Road or Anfield.

Date: March 21, 2003 03:04PM

What about the Den?

PSD

==========

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: March 21, 2003 03:06PM

If you're refusing to play the game, you're thinking about the game so you've lost.

Posted by: skiffle (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 21, 2003 03:14PM

Read one of the first posts about the game and promptly forgot about it for the next month, in spite of being on-line fairly regularly.
Does this mean I've won ?

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.