New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Adaptation
Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: March 11, 2003 10:44AM

I went to see Adaptation last night. The latest Nicholas Cage / Meryl Streep movie. Highly recommended.

I was wondering if anyone has read 'The Orchid Thief' by Susan Orlean (which the film is based around). Is it worth reading ?

Re: Adaptation
Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: March 11, 2003 11:54AM

I saw it on Saturday, wasn't it brilliant that that in the last 20 minutes they managed to have the car chase, the romantic interest and the shooting scenes.

The book seems slightly boring though... haven't read it though.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: March 11, 2003 12:32PM

I agree. It was fantastic. I won't say any more as I don't want to inadvertantly give anything away. It's all very literate. About a guy writing a screenplay of a book which is based on a true story. Hence my query.

Basically, how similar is the film to the book to the truth. Is it worth reading the book to get that version or is it (as Carla and I suspect) best just to stick with a great film.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: March 11, 2003 08:31PM

Just to make it really incestuous, according to the reviews, it's about a real guy who really tried to write a screenplay for a real book. Everything in the film is however fictional. Apart from the real bits. Which are invented. Possibly.

Do you really need me to tell you it's by the same guy who did Being John Malkovich?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Carla (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: March 11, 2003 11:37PM

and he did confessions of a dangerous mind which i just saw tonight,
brilliant

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: March 11, 2003 11:39PM

And the Fatboy Slim video for Praise You. Do you think he'd fit in here?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.