New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 29 of 30
Re: Intros again?
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 05:17AM

Loads pie catapault

Welcome! I just have wait and see if Lymond is calling dips, then you can have a lot of very fast moving peach pie :)

It strikes me that orange could be an extremely sensible name for a town. If it grows oranges or somesuch.

What would everyone rename their towns so that they make more sense?

I think I'd go with Crimerates Rising. Or possible. Used-to-be-a-swamp

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 19, 2007 05:48AM

I've been to Orange! Well, through it, actually. It's in/near/around/vaguely-associated-with the San Fernando Valley, isn't it? I live not too far away, although these days school in New York really is more like home…

Since when are you interested in sensible town names, Kitten?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 19, 2007 09:49AM

Welcome OC Not.

We have children and old fogies here.

A sage once said "Act your shoe size not your age." (O.K. it was an advert for shoes, but the sentiment seems to work around here)

Bk has already introduced you to pie, so I will just wave happily and point you in the direction of the Birthdays thread. I can easily put your year of birth as "perpetually 36" if that helps............

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 19, 2007 09:55AM

Hi OC, and welcome!

Can't see peach pie going to well with a barm cake somehow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 11:23AM

Hello.

Hmmm.... There is a town called Oranjemund in the Northern Cape.... Means Orange Mouth. Which it is. On the mouth of the Orange River.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 06:09PM

There is a town nearby called Riverside, with no river anywhere in the vicinity. People drive through it and go another 100 miles (through the desert)to get to the river. Strange.

Orange Mouth sounds like my nephew after one too many creamsicles...

-------------------------------------
I was born foolish, and every day in every way I am getting foolisher and foolisher.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: July 20, 2007 03:06AM

Through a desert?

I like that :)

Re: Save Puck!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range86-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 04:00PM

you can't set fire to puck Midsummer... wouldn't be the same with a generic!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 05:16PM

??? I don't know how the post got in here, but Puck is inflammable and so by the Fforum conventions...........

Wooooomph!

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: July 21, 2007 04:30AM

thats only one day a year that we cant burn up the brownie... Although it's been a LOT longer than that!

I need to find a new fforumite to set fire to.

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 08:09PM

Hmmm.... Would not be the same without the crinkle of fairy wings melting like plastic....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: looshkin (82.111.128.---)
Date: April 11, 2011 12:46PM

Hmmm, I don't know if this is the right forum to post in as there seem to be many intro threads, and this one hasn't been updated since 2007... but I thought I would introduce myself anyway!

Hello!
My name is Chris, and I am 1 year and quarter of a century old.

I'm based in the United Kingdom, and I live just outside London (technically in Essex) in an area called Woodford. It is not by a wood, or a ford, so it's false advertising really, but we don't get many tourists as the highlight of the area is probably a Budgens supermarket.
I work for the Ministry of Defence in Whitehall (it may sound exciting - its not), and before anyone asks - No I am not a spy.

I first got into the Thursday Next series and fell in love with Mr J Fforde about 7 years ago. The Mother (encouraging my bizarre and slightly odd taste in reading) decided to buy me the first book. I now think she regrets it as I ramble on at her about cheese smuggling and mandatory toast eating requirements.

Despite many of the books including "Special Features" and directions to the website, I have only recently found the fforum. Much to my hilarity, and my work colleagues dismay, confusion and annoyance, I have spent the last few weeks laughing (at times quite openly) over the fforum as I trawl back through the many posts.

Anyway, enough ramblings for now.

Chris

Posted by: MistyCat (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: April 11, 2011 02:35PM

Hi, looshkin, and welcome to the fforum.

I'm not really the greetings guy, but there's been quite a falloff in activity around here over the last week while the bagpipe exterminators are laying the poisoned pibrochs so I'll just point you at the refreshments over in the Treehouse.

Just be wary around the rocket-fuel Stumpy Scrumpy.

Posted by: rentawitch (---.dsl.easynet.co.uk)
Date: April 12, 2011 11:18AM

Hi and welcome to all.
Hello Chris from Woodford - I was once Chris/Kris from Walthamstow/Hornchurch/Chadwell Heath but am now Kris from Fulham soon to be Wincanton :)

The falloff in activity may be because of the lobsters.

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.range86-174.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 08:28PM

Welcome Chris/Looshkin,

There is plenty of Battenburg and tea on the trolley please help yourself.

Mothers definitely have a lot to answer for. I indoctrinated my eldest to Mr Fforde and now share a home with countless dodos especially a very large one that begs to be fed marshmallows

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: April 13, 2011 12:51PM

Welcome be careful around the pies. There are plenty and they are marked to help you to make an educated guess about the contents - Savoury have a "S" marked on them, while the sweet one are marked with a "S".

Just to round things out a little I have just cooked up a couple of batches of fresh pies - Sweetbread and Sweetmeat. The big question is should they be savoury or sweet? Sweet is in the name so I've labelled them with a "S"!

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: April 13, 2011 02:43PM

I would suggest that as sweetmeats are sugared or honeyed, they are truly sweet and need an "S", but sweetbreads are animal organs, even if sweet in taste they are savoury and should be marked accordingly.

As long as you remember sweet to the left, savoury to the right, you won't go wrong.

This week the special pies are pork & apple so will be differentiated with an appropriate sign. Any suggestions?

Welcome all!

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 15, 2011 09:08AM

How about a 'P'? :P

Welcome, new person, the shields are in the corner and first aid is available in the basement to the Treehouse, accessible via ladder, tunnel, high security door and finally Australian Honour Guard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 09:09AM by EgonSpengler.

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: April 15, 2011 11:41AM

EgonSpengler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about a 'P'? :P
>

but people will already know that they are pies..............

Posted by: looshkin (82.111.128.---)
Date: April 15, 2011 01:23PM

Why thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

I now am torn between all the delicious refreshments that are being sent my way.
Never before have I experienced the delights of so many fforum ffoods at once:

I can begin with a few pre-dinner glasses of delicious Stumpy Scrumpy
Followed by a starter of freshly boiled (if slightly vicious) lobster,
For my Main Course I can eat copious amounts of Battenburg, accompanied by any leftover Marshmallows that haven’t been eaten by the Dodos.
I can wash this down with quite a few cups of fictional Tea
Then for dessert, I can munch through the various sweet and savoury pies, each labelled with an “S”

Might I suggest that the pies (both savoury and sweet) be labelled with “SP” as this may help distinguish them…

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 29 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.