New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 30
Re: Intros again?
Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.kpunet.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 03:06AM

Hey, thanks very much. I appreciate it. Again, you all are scarily nice. Must be something in this tea I keep hearing about :) The 'stak' thing was a failed attempt at comedic irony; glad to find it didn't injure you--I can be a bit of a, how shall I put it, git sometimes. By the way, I absorbed The Fourth Bear in audio form, and have been trying desperately to enter its Special Features section on the site without success, because I can't spell the fourth bear's name, pathetically enough. So I was wondering if, even though this isn't supposed to be a 'SPOILERZONE', someone could type it out, er, discreetly for me. If not, no prob. Jus' askin'.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 07:59AM

Hi Daffy,

be very wary of those girls: they can be dangerous.

Spelling, grammar etc. is all fairly optional around here - you will get some gentle chiding, but if anyone can't understand something, they will usually ask.

You have probably already spotted that threads tend to wander off-topic quite quickly. Don't worry, they sometimes head back or even migrate to other parts of the Fforum.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: January 29, 2007 10:13AM

Daffy I doubt we'll burn you at a stak, but we might burn a stak at you. Assuming you like your stak very well done, that is.

Welcome to the forum, and, hey calm down and have tea. The tea is good. The tea is great. The tea will make everrrrything jusst fiiiiine.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: January 29, 2007 01:38PM

Don't worry; we don't kill people for misspellings, intentional or accidental. Only misused apostrophes.

As for the fourth bear's name, make sure you're using an "o", not a "u".

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.bur.dialup.dodo.com.au)
Date: January 29, 2007 02:50PM

Oh dear. The poor lad will have stak-jokes for the next few years now, wont he?

Ah well. (plays with lighter)

Where's Puck? We can at least use her to get the stak burning...

Date: January 29, 2007 03:06PM

It occurs to me I've never done a proper one of these...

NAME: Sarah. Although St Sarah the Splendid is quite acceptable.
LOCALE: Oz.

I think everything else has been covered.

Oh, and online I was grown in a special pot.

Posted by: Zambezi_Bushbaby (196.44.177.---)
Date: January 30, 2007 12:16PM

Welcome all newies... still feeling very new here myself!

Has anyone seen where the pies went to?

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (61.68.165.---)
Date: January 30, 2007 12:24PM

I think they were all loaded into the mangonel...

Date: January 30, 2007 12:43PM

Are you calling me a mangonel?

Hmmmm perhaps you are right.

Date: January 30, 2007 12:46PM

So... let me guess, I have to make a bunch more?

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Posted by: mrs SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 01:58PM

DAFW if you have snow I shall be very jealous.....but I have marshmallows if anyone's run out at the stak. And it's very of nice of you, DAFW, to keep us warm in winter.

Date: January 30, 2007 04:49PM

Hi, what's a mangonel? Also, I'm glad to have a small reputation of *some* kind already, even if it is for committing a misspelling unworthy of a hamster :)
By the way, I happen to be a morally motivated vegetarian, and consequently, I would rather eat an inkwell than a stak (or steak).

Date: January 30, 2007 05:11PM

Daffy, don't worry. everybody round here has their leg pulled at sometime or other.

No-one would force you to eat a stak, steak or anything else you don't want, burt some will try to trick you into having Battenburg. (I like it, but others don't)

How do you like your inkwells?

In answer to your question, a mangonel is just another name for an onager.
Cheers

Date: January 30, 2007 05:46PM

Inkwells taste a bit like olives, strangely enough. I like mine with Tabasco sauce and dill; it's nutritious and delicious! Also, I am going to Google both 'mangonel' AND 'onager' right now... I think I used to know what an onager is, but, sadly, I don't anymore.
Coincidentally, I am feeling a strong impulse to strike myself sharply in the back of the head with a hammer right now...

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:11PM

You never played Age of Empires II then?

Mangonel is a much better name. Has "mangle" in it. Waay better for a siege weapon.

Have an "e". Put it wherever you want to in your stak. And I haven't seen Puck for a while Kitten. Maybe we burnt her once too often.

Anyway, nice to met you Daffy. I charge extra for spelling, so don't fret too much. Just remember that "our" in words is allowed. ;)

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: January 30, 2007 11:33PM

MartinB! shame on you!

tis not daffy's fault that 'our' takes holidays from some words when in America, I would aswell! Bet it (our) goes to Disney Land - I would!

Mongonels are kinda like giant catapaults, only they lob huge massive boulders I think around the 1/2 tonne mark, not precisely sure, could be more. Anyways, they were difficult to build, difficult to aim and dangerous to work (think of the built up potential energy + flying splinters of wood + fleshy men - eugh) - but very effective at flattening pretty much anything. We had a programme with a wee guy called Tony Robinson (likes history) who tried to build a replica using contemporary materials - I think they were successful but there were quite a few problems - I must have been reading or sleeping while the programme was on. Anyways, they sound quite fun! I think the besiegers used to fill them with severed heads and the like and then pelt them at the defenders, but they probably did that with catapaults too!

Date: January 31, 2007 02:54AM

Thounk you four the infou about the mangounel and the ouanger--I didn't actoully Gougle it, sou your definitioun didn't gou tou waste :)
Nou, sadly, I houven't plouyed Ouge of Oumpoures II; I have a pousessed Moucintoush. Oulso, here coumes my poureodic soufety-nout oupoulougy four bouing a git: bouy, am I sourry four bouing souch a git!!

gOUd enOUgh? :)

Date: January 31, 2007 08:07AM

Martin - I think that you have been well and truly stomped!

Time to call Ouncle?

Date: January 31, 2007 01:24PM

(small round of applause for DAFW)

...(After jumping around like a lunatic because someone mentioned Tony Robinson)

Date: January 31, 2007 03:34PM

<claps>

----------

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.