New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 30
Re: Intros again?
Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 03, 2006 08:43PM

Only up the wall when my kids are with me at the weekends. Does that count?
I'll pass on the cake,as it means I'd have to take the long way home from work, which is even more uphill than the short way, but thank you for the offer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: Barbie (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: October 04, 2006 11:22PM

MartinB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Forgive me, cake for all the newbies.
>
> I have been most remiss.
>
> Out of interest, does anyone else climb?

Except on the back of a horse I don't, I'm afraid. Thanks for the cake, I've crisps on offer - German "Sour Cream & Herbs" Aldi stuff. Anyone?

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: October 05, 2006 12:29AM

I hope you are not sitting in front of a computer, since munchies have a tendency to just disappear when sat beside a monitor (only to show up later miraculously inside the stomach of unsuspecting users)...

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2006 12:32AM by PrinzHilde.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hep.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: October 06, 2006 11:13AM

Hi,

I'm Shiva (yes that really is my name) and I'm currently living in South East London. I'm doing a PhD in...er...particle physics, and I do have a life outside of physics, no really, I do. I have a beautiful pet snake called Ellington Barley, he's a royal python, and only a baby. I'm a singer/songwriter, and also a bit of an artist. Anything to get me away from those pesky particles.

What with all the physics stuff I generally try to read anything but popular science books in my spare time, Jasper is one of my favorite distractions, along with Terry Pratchett. I did read 'A Brief History of Time' but found it a bit slow going.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 06, 2006 03:11PM

Shiva Las Vegas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did read 'A Brief History of Time' but found it a bit slow going.

Hi Shiva,
You should get the version of Brief History etc. with Quentin Blake illustrations and all of SH's comedy poems left in. It's a riot of fun.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hep.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: October 06, 2006 03:56PM

Hi SkidMarks,

yeah, there's also another gripping version, 'The Briefest History of Time' where SH trys to explain that physics IS fun, it's just that people define fun in different ways...hehe

Date: October 06, 2006 04:14PM

Yes,

I enjoyed Physics, but gave it up when I went to university. I read Mechanical Engineering.......

Posted by: Puck (---.dorm.reed.edu)
Date: October 06, 2006 07:05PM

I am currently in training to get certified to operate a nuclear reactor. Not kidding.

*chuckles*

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Date: October 07, 2006 11:51AM

D'oh!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 08, 2006 12:12AM

<cough>ThreeMileIsland</cough>

Hehe. I'm hoping I'll get to play with the SKA in a few years.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: October 08, 2006 02:12AM

If you seriously think that a nuclear installation is a site (or a Billion-Euro scientific laboratory for that matter) for playing, you should be immediately removed.

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Posted by: Puck (---.wless.reed.edu)
Date: October 08, 2006 02:50AM

Oh, I dunno about that... our reactor has rubber duckies floating in it...

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: October 08, 2006 06:19AM

Y'know, Puck, you never did explain to me how the duckies came into it...

At any rate, I'm Unbound Element, or UE. This is the latest internet identity I've come up with to date (I tend to recycle them) and it's tied in with an old one. I'd try to come up with an introduction that's as concise as all the earlier ones, but I've been known to summarize books with the plot.
I'm a college freshman facing major instability (by which I mean I'm uncertain about the major I'm pursuing, not...oh. That too.) and I'm using my increased workload and new social agenda as my current excuse for not being around the fforums all that often.
Other than mentioning I'm in the real estate market (for sugar bowls), I think I did a pretty good job there being quick about it.

Posted by: Lady Teaspoon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 08, 2006 11:01PM

Hello All,

I'm Lady Teaspoon because I used to be Lady MacBeth, which got abbreviated to Lady TheScottishPlay by those not wishing to curse their theatre by refering to me, which is further actually abbreviated to Lady TSP which is also the acronym for Teaspoon. Therefore, I am Lady Teaspoon.

QED

Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 09, 2006 02:12AM

I'm Zuki-pah.

Intros can be found by clicking here and here (scroll to the bottom).

'Who looks after the animals?'

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 09, 2006 09:47AM

I did wounder where that had come from Lady MacBeth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: October 21, 2006 08:48PM

I'm Susan, college senior also suffering major instability (not really, I'm keeping the computer engineering major since I've worked so hard for it, but I'm probably going to go into math from here). I like musicals and theatre in general, and math. And I did I mention math?

Back after staying away most of the term in an attempt to actually get work done (didn't happen, of course) but I'm hoping that if I can actually keep my time on this fforum down to less than four hours a day, I might be able to pass my classes.

Posted by: aria (---.an1.ewr18.da.uu.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 09:05PM

I am aria both by birth and personal assignment.

I live in Massachusetts, USA. Married, one daughter (and for those of you who know my mother please inform her that one is enough. She doesn't seem to hear me when I say it). Currently studying for an MBA. I'm an accountant by trade. *ducks as something is thrown at me and hides face in shame*

I am an avid reader (a practice which most likely keeps my right brain from atrophying into mush). Sci-fi and fantasy, especially, are my favorites, but I will read any non-fiction based on fictional characters and events in a pinch.

I'm a Sagitarius who likes to walk in the woods and eat ice cream out of the carton.

I do not climb, MartinB, sorry, although in high school I did have my pilot's licence. Then I went to college, became poor, and lost it. I am grateful for the cake and offer brownies to all- or if you're not too picky grab a spoon and share my half gallon of ice cream.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.bur.dialup.dodo.com.au)
Date: October 22, 2006 07:31AM

Non fiction based on fiction?

Very Zen.

(Would grab spoon, but as we all know, there is no spoon)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 22, 2006 08:30AM

I am Elle, of Sydney, Australia. Victoria is my other favourite name. Hence, it was the first one that came to mind when Elle was rejected. My other favourite names are Catherine, (which is my middle name), and Marianne.

I am currently doing my HSC, which is the finishing certificate in NSW schools. Hopefully I'll be doing communications at the Uni of Tech, Sydney next year, in Media Arts and Production. I like films, I would like to be a director.

I actually am much more a film person than books, and I have a big collection of old and new films, of which i am very proud.

My favourite music is Tori Amos, Emily Bezar, Dusty Springfield, Fiona Apple, Sarah McLachlan, Peggy Lee, Anita Ellis and soundtracks to films.

My favourite era for fashion is the 40's, and my favourite actresses are Rita Hayworth and Ingrid Bergman, also Ginger Rogers and Lucille Ball for being funny knockabout comedians. There should be more of them, and in my opinion the closest we get now to something even half so stupidly or pointlessly funny is the television show Arrested Development, and Phoebe Buffay of Friends. Incidentally, I recently completed a bet with a friend that we couldn't watch the entire series of Friends before the HSC finished. After 80 hours of viewing over three weeks, (may I recommend NEVER DOING THAT, and I do actually have a life, but since we have leaving exams no one wants to go out anywhere so you're pretty much confined to your home anyway), I am now somewhat proud to say that i have done it.

I like Vanilla ice cream and Vanilla milkshakes.

I don't know what Battenburg cake is, but i'm willing to try it.

I learn German, and I'm visiting a friend there at the end of the year. Guten Morgen. Ah yes, I am so skillful.

That's probably enough, i would say. I like writing lists, hence the length of this post. Sorry.

*retreats into the shadows*

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.