New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 30
Re: Intros again?
Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: December 05, 2006 03:03PM

'shau'? I say 'chau' as in itch. Itchy soup? Now there's a thought. One to send the tonsils running for cover.

Posted by: Mooxico (67.42.115.---)
Date: December 05, 2006 05:00PM

::::uploading cooked pie crust to SkidMarks; luckily, we have devised a way to get them to him so that they arrive intact.::::

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 10:09PM

Kitten picked up the Simpsons reference. She wins the bowl of chow-da.
The bravest person I've never met is the one who first ate an oyster, but whoever figured out you had to cook a mussell was a genius.

Posted by: kaz (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 06, 2006 09:12PM

It was probably the same person who figured out that all cooked meat is much more palatable than raw meat.

And they reckon the wheel is the most important invention.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 09:47PM

I bet it was more a matter of clumsy tent construction. You can just imagine it--the whole family sitting around the fire in their tent of animal furs, eating fresh-caught raw meat, when suddenly the tent poles fall down. Everyone struggles to get out of the burning tent, leaving their food inside, and when they come back to sift through the ashes they discover this wonderful-smelling brown stuff where their food was dropped. So they taste it, and start spreading the news to the whole village that hey, guess what? You can make your dinner taste even better by burning the house down!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 06, 2006 10:00PM

kaz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And they reckon the wheel is the most important
> invention.

Sorry, I'm sticking with the Thermos flask.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 11:26PM

Yeah, how does it know whether to keep the drink hot or cold?

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: December 07, 2006 04:17AM

It uses thermosdynamics.

Posted by: Zambezi_Bushbaby (196.44.177.---)
Date: December 07, 2006 09:16PM

Hey Everyone,

Sorry this is kinda a late intro, am new to this group... just joined today.

I am a student at Rhodes University, but I live in Zimbabwe. I am a serious animal lover and am working towards a wildlife management lifestyle in the African Bush. So far have just finished first year of a BSc in the biological sciences.

Love all sorts of different stuff, and love getting to know people and learning and finding out about different views.

Zambezi_Bushbaby

Date: December 07, 2006 09:19PM

Just joined today? That is far better than I managed!!!

welcomes!

Pies etc. The good stuff will be along soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2006 09:19PM by SkidMarks.

Posted by: Mooxico (---.sub-75-210-2.myvzw.com)
Date: December 08, 2006 04:52AM

Welcome, Zambezi! Would you like a fresh cocoa?

Date: December 08, 2006 08:30AM

Fresh cocoa would be swell, miss the substance here! Out of interest, is anyone here interested in Animals and the Bush?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: December 08, 2006 08:51AM

Kia Ora!
I've just joined up today too, so here goes...
I'm a proud kiwi chick who loves to read. I'm not too fussy about any particular genre, I'll read pretty much anything! After I'd finished all of the Discworld books, a friend suggested I try Jasper Fforde and I was hooked after the first few pages of The Eyre Affair.
I also love travelling, movies and photography (although I'm not so great at the latter). Looking forward to posting on this forum =)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: December 10, 2006 11:14PM

Hello! I've only just joined the forum, looks like this is the first place to start.

I've read all of Mr. Fforde's books now, I started with "the big over easy" when it came out, and since then i've really loved his work. He has to be my favorite author now, though I've only been reading regularly for a few years.

Anywho, Hello and stuff.

Jonny

Posted by: Lymond (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: December 11, 2006 02:19AM

I have nothing to declare except my genius.

Well and to say that I introduced myself briefly somewhere else and that I have a large DVD and music collection topped only by my books (very few of which are course textbooks as they should be), Nearly everything written by Elizabeth Peters, David Gemmell and David Eddings with token books from a couple of other authors and everything I can lay hands on by Dorothy Dunnett.

I have lots of odd things pinned up on my walls such as a monopoly board I drew from memory one palaeontology lecture, got home and found it was completely correct, greatly chuffed about that one.

Ps Ellevictoria, you should add Vienna Teng to that list of music if you haven't already!! (Shameless plugging of the album Waking Hour)

Date: December 11, 2006 08:02AM

Welcome, Guinevere, Johnny-L. You will find this a fairly comfortable place to waste your valuable study time.

Help yourself to whatever is left of the pies. Mrs. SkidMarks will bake a new batch soon. (As Mrs. SkidMarks is also from New Zealand, perhaps Guinevere and she can entertain us later with a Hakka?)

Date: December 11, 2006 04:43PM

This seems a great place to ... er .. waste... study time!

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: December 12, 2006 05:20AM

Thanks for the pie! Well, not too good at the haka (it's a bloke thing really) but I'll get out the guitar and start a singalong for Pokarekare ana if you like =) and say hi to your kiwi chicky from me *waves*

Date: December 12, 2006 09:41AM

Hmmm, I think I should be working on my drivers... ah well, better to type and have fun in here than to be working again!
*sigh*

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Posted by: mrs SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 12, 2006 12:20PM

Hi, everyone

this is my first time and in answer to your (probable) first question, yes, really, he's sitting about four feet from me right now and his computer space is perfectly safe (although i do have designs on the shelves behind me).
I have been in bookselling for 20+ years in one way or another I love animals (not spiders), reading, movies and avoiding rain unless wearing wellies!
I answer to Su but if I'm reading you'll have to shout as i tend to 'go' to wherever the book 'is'. (especially if it's Newford)
I bring a New Zealand delicacy for everyone....chocolate fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2006 12:35PM by mrs SkidMarks.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.