New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: I packed my bag and in it I put
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 19, 2003 05:07PM

Ooh, Asimov... he wrote some wonderful plots. It's just a shame he wasn't quite so good at writing believable female characters, but after all he was better at that than Piers Anthony (another writer I thoroughly like in most other respects).

By the way, is this a contender for the Longest Thread Contest? ;-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: April 19, 2003 05:17PM

I never really thought about the female characters...but now that you mention it, I can't think of any!

I thought about starting a new thread, but it seemed a shame since I had something that was actually *relevant* to one of the old threads...doesn't happen often...

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 19, 2003 05:17PM

Gee, who would have thought the Fforumites would have a long thread (obstensibly) about buying books? Everyone got their hand up? Right then....

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 19, 2003 05:23PM

Speaking of books, I'm just reading a piece of comic fantasy called "Wizard's Brew" by Colin Fox, which I picked up for a song in a second hand bookshop. I had never heard of the author but I can well recommend it so far; some of the humour is almost Ffordian (wait till you meet Comrades Flopnik, Mopnik and Cottonskovitski, the rabbit freedom fighters... and who is the sinister Comrade Petrov?)

If it carries on being as good as this, I'll post a mini-review here. It's the first time I've come across anything that's even remotely like the Nextian universe, and on those grounds I suspect the rest of you may enjoy it too.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Rob (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 19, 2003 08:37PM

One Hit Wonderland was pretty good although I think Round Ireland with a Fridge was better. Also, it kind of inspired Dave and Ireland to go round Ireland on a bike (except he cheated and caught the train some of the way).

I'm currently reading 'Scheme for Full Employment' by Magnus Mills. A bit weird like his other stuff but good nonetheless.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 21, 2003 12:49AM

I mentioned way back up this thread that I got a free Chinese Fortune cookie when I bought a mug. Have finally eaten cookie and discovered Ancient Chinese Wisdom contained within:

"You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard"

Not Convinced about authenticity of Ancient Chinese Wisdom, myself.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 21, 2003 01:26AM

Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 11:21PM

Now who else might have posted that.....let me think.......nope, only PSD.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 11:36PM

Harsh!

Fair, but harsh.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.