New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
microsoft messenger
Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 26, 2003 09:38PM

any of you clever people know how to permanently disable MS Messenger? Cursed thing keeps popping up every time I open Outlook Express or Internet Explorer.

I thought I'd killed it but it's reappeared now I'm on WinXP.

argh.

Re: microsoft messenger
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: March 26, 2003 11:58PM

If you find out, let me know. I'm on XP at work, and the best I was able to easily do was to open it up and set the preferences on what to receive to allow as little through as possible, and not let it automatically begin at startup or run in the background

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2003 01:29AM

Open up Windows/Microcrap Messenger and go to Options then to Preferences.

Unclick "Run this Program when Windows Starts"
Unclick "Allow this Program to run in the background" (It's sneaky!)

That SHOULD do it...

Good luck

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: March 27, 2003 12:19PM

Yeah, that was what I did, and I seem to have stopped getting messages popping up on my work computer offering to enlarge body parts I don't have.

I had to do a search to find out where the bloody thing was though, since it wasn't in the programs file. Sneaky indeed.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: March 27, 2003 12:45PM

It normally appears as a little icon on the right of the taskbar (where the volume thingummy lives). Yahoo Messenger is even worse for it...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 27, 2003 10:14PM

I just want rid of it. I use Trillian for my IM needs as it lets me connect to ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, MS messenger all in one prog. It's great.

Except when bloomin' MEssenger tries to open as well.

Found another place - in outlook express on the tools menu, there's a messenger option, you can uncheck 'load messenger with outlook'

sneaky. I'm gonna go to Linux as soon as I can work out how it works...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2003 12:32AM

thanks for the hint on Trillian...I'm trying it out now. I have some buddies who refuse to try AIM instead of ICQ, and I've tried ICQ, but I'm not fond of it. So this is a happy medium! I'll let you know how I like it!

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: March 28, 2003 07:08PM

Just remember what the traditional saying says that one should always do to happy mediums...

"Some days I diet, other days they serve lasagne."

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: March 28, 2003 08:50PM

I don't know any mediums anywhere on the scale from happy to suicidally depressed. But I'm not sure I'd be very happy if I spent all my time talking to dead people.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: skiffle (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 28, 2003 10:27PM

I unnerved a friend once when we were watching a quiz show on telly. I gave the correct answer to the question when the host had only given the subject of the question.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.