New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What I Did On My Holidays
Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 20, 2007 06:05PM

Did I revise for my impending examinations, which I must pass to enter into the second year of University? Hmmm...not very much.

Did I find myself useful employment, to help fund the ridiculous costs of attending University? Nope, not at all.

No, instead I spent a very large proportion of my Christmas Holidays and this just finishing Easter Holidays to build. And seeing as a lot of you are Discowrld fans, I thought I'd share:

Primary Phase (aka Christmas Hols)
Secondary Phase (aka Easter Hols)

It's not finsihed yet (as you'll find if you read my ridiculously long annotations) but I return to Uni on Sunday. Come the summer, and my ridiculously time consuming project will be finished, and will remain purely as a ridiculously space consuming project!

Don't ask how long I've spent on it altogether so far...not to mention Final Fantasy XII, which made the mistake of being released in time for this holiday...

Re: What I Did On My Holidays
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 20, 2007 06:22PM

You are a seriously sad person LQ. I applaud you!

I gritted my teeth and decided not to buy the book as even if I showed as much endurance as you and actually completed it, we would have nowhere to put it. (And mrs. SkidMarks would go into shock at the thought of me cutting up a book - even a cut-out book)

Good luck with the exams this term. Just remember that you need to pass in order to have time to finish UU and you will sail through.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Date: April 20, 2007 06:28PM

Hah, you think the "nowhere to put it" plaudit from my parents (and friends...and other family...and me...) is stopping me?

It actually really pained me to cut the first page out of the book, as well. But once that was done, it was already damaged, so all further pages were easy.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 20, 2007 06:41PM

Very, very impressive! I haven't got the patience for that kind of thing, but it's definitely rewarding! Can't wait to see the final building.

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: April 20, 2007 08:01PM

Tis a thing of beauty and at least you have areason for not revin=sing - I spent most of my revision hours day dreaming... Good luck with the exams, they will be fine and good luck with the UU!

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: April 21, 2007 01:09AM

That is really cool....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: April 21, 2007 02:52AM

Actually, you can do these sort of things also virtually. I just spent some of my time (you guess how much) on a 3D modell of a castle...

Strange thing is, seemingly no-one is doing Unseen University on this platform. Well, maybe the perils of copyright are to blame.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 08:34PM

*Applause*

I'll be certainly interested in seeing the completed model, and also in finding out how long it took...

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: April 22, 2007 01:15PM

Pterry suggested buying two... One to make and one to keep.

Co-incidentally, he's apparently been thinking of putting in dinosaur footprint fossil stone in the observatory...

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: April 23, 2007 08:43PM

But he is hardly impartial....

He has a vested interest in selling more.

Incidently, Pterry is the abbreviation some people use for the Dean of Science here.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: April 24, 2007 04:17PM

No, really... Does he? :P

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.dur.ac.uk)
Date: April 26, 2007 07:17PM

I almost agreed with the buying two theory, in the hope I'd be able to do it better later in life. But realistically, I'm not likely to get much better unless I get a lot of experience, which I don't see happening...

Alternatively I considered buying another one to avoid cutting into it, but I have better books to buy with £15.

Oh, and with regards to how long it took in total - I kept on meaning to time one but continually forgot. I'm hoping to do it properly with the final building, the clocktower, this summer - time how long I spend on it each session and see what the total time is. I expect it to be quite a while...I'm guessing around about 10 hours is the average for each model so far.

A friend's also suggested building some sort of base or mounting board for it all...

Date: April 27, 2007 01:21AM

Yes, but then if you attached them all to it you'd have one HUGE thing to store, instead of several merely large things.

Date: April 27, 2007 06:55AM

Having built it you must display it, so a base-board is an essential. Perhaps the Cunning Artificer could make slight mods to convert it all into fold-out and pop-up form?

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: April 27, 2007 12:59PM

When I was in university, I regularily had to pass behind the architecture building. Do you know how many times I saw a desparate student trying to stuff a huge architectural model into the rubbish bin? Most of the times the mounting board still stuck out of the top, even after braking it to pieces.

And there were also those who tried to transport their two by two meter models in the U-Bahn. By the time they left the station, they always had to carry some stray parts which had come off...

Date: April 27, 2007 04:25PM

The danger of going behind the architecture building is that you can see the clips and pins holding it together so that it presents a good face to the street.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Date: July 18, 2007 10:14PM

Resurrection time!

I've now been back from my first year of Uni (where does the time go?) for about three and a half weeks...and I've just finished the final building of the Unseen University: the Clocktower. If you want to see some pictures (with lots of long, rambling comments, including approximate times taken), the link is:

Tertiary Phase (aka Summer Hols)

Date: July 19, 2007 12:14AM

Amazing! Really, it looks wonderful and I'm glad you documented the whole thing! Now for the hard question: what are you going to do with yourself now that it's over?

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 01:43AM

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. And I've seen every Star Wars Lego ever made and some that were invented.

-------------------------------------
I was born foolish, and every day in every way I am getting foolisher and foolisher.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 05:18AM

It's come along well!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.