New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Thursday Next Competition: win a signed copy of the millionth Jasper Ffforde book printed
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bethere.co.uk)
Date: June 11, 2007 10:48PM

Hello there Fffordian fffriends.

Browsing this very website here, I found this competition about Jasper Ffforde’s books (and other books too if you fancy). It is tied up to his new book - I am very excited about it, I love Pepys! This quiz is quite tricky but I am making good progress and trying not refer to my books! And the prize is:

A signed and Jasper Fffordified copy of the Millioneth of Jasper’s book printed!

This would be a thing as wonderful as a sunset shining like a light in the sky. I estimate that this will be worth as much as a medium-sized country within but a smattering of months.

Here is a link to the quiz: [www.unique-thinking.com]

Shall we use this thread to thrash out any tricky questions or shall we go this alone? What think thee oh sages and natives?

Either way, may the best man/woman/dodo/other beast/metaphor win with vigour panache.

Niebla

Re: Thursday Next Competition: win a signed copy of the millionth Jasper Ffforde book printed
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: June 12, 2007 03:41PM

Just don't answer First Among Sequels in the last question of round one.

No, seriously!

Re: Thursday Next Competition: win a signed copy of the millionth Jasper Ffforde book printed
Posted by: Anonymous User (62.232.24.---)
Date: June 13, 2007 12:40PM

Wherefore? What will happen? Saying just don't answer is similar to having a button saying 'don't press!'... I saw one button like that once and was very much most tempted.

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: June 13, 2007 01:54PM

If you press it, a light comes on that says "please do not press this button again".

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 13, 2007 03:01PM

In black on a black background?

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: June 13, 2007 09:31PM

Before throwing you into a sun?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Mrs Next (---.bradford.gov.uk)
Date: June 14, 2007 09:42AM

Niebla, BK (or anyone who has entered the first round), have you had an e mail from some one who says they work for Hodder and Staunton apologising for the error and virtually throwing herself on our mercy?? Weird or what!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bethere.co.uk)
Date: June 14, 2007 02:38PM

The answer to question 11 seemed fine for me - this as least as curious as the proverbial. But yes. There is a nice young lady who speaks. Has she made any requestings of you Mrs Next?

Date: June 14, 2007 03:28PM

I got a somewhat unproffessional email, I gotta say, that seemed to be trying to shift the blame to The Double Consonantly One. I'm not interested in persuing it any further.

Date: June 14, 2007 03:31PM

Actually, looking at it again, I'm a little sus, as the email addy it came from (checked the header) did NOT come from Hodder... Screw it, I'm writing a sharp note back!

Posted by: picard1109 (---.glfd.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 16, 2007 12:16PM

Hi folks,

I'm new to the Fforum but certainly not new to the Great Works of The Double Consonantly One.

I got an email from June Haversham at Hodder, too. So I emailed back some tips for not getting boot and have exchanged emails with 'her' since. She has a blog: [junehaversham.wordpress.com]

Verily, I suspecteth it is Jasper mucking aroundeth.

Date: June 16, 2007 12:28PM

Hmmmm.... Internal Server Error.

Helpeth muchly....

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 16, 2007 12:30PM

Welcome picard1109!

help yourself to some pie. When the drinks trolley resurfaces, you can have a refreshing cup of Rooibos (or a gin and tonic, if you prefer.)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Date: June 16, 2007 12:46PM

You mean the drinks trolley should not have gone into the pool to be refilled?

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: June 16, 2007 01:20PM

Having read the background, I see my first thoughts about this competition confirmed: If this isn't something Jasper does himself, I won't take part.

Do you remember when he did that Scrabble competition and got almost everything wrong? (If not, look it up here) He immediately made a joke out of it, and everyone involved had a laugh. Here, an office starts to play the old game of "who is to blame" - and hey, who would have thought it? - it was the young employee who just started last month!

What I mean with this is: Hodder does a competition to sell the book. That is something I do not need, I will be buying it anyway. I am here for the fun of it, and if someone thinks that making a mistake in a game is to be taken seriously, he or she is not my kind of guy.

Date: June 16, 2007 02:36PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and the pie. Don't mind if I do.

Mine's a whisky and American ginger ale, thank you kindly.

If you have a minute, pop over to Intro Again, where you can find out what a boring old fart I am.

Hasta la proxima

Date: June 16, 2007 06:32PM

lol, I feel very dumb now.

Not only did I reply with a short "You stuffed up, deal with it" type reply, but I then later sent a long rambling one as a sort of apology (having had a very crappy day dealing with all sorts of nasty folk when I wrote the original)

dumb.

Least I can use the blonde excuse!
DUMB, lol.

(edited for spelling)

(edited again to add extra dumbs! ...)

(edited once again to remove a couple of Dumbs... Can't be too hard on myself.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2007 02:40PM by Bonzai Kitten.

Date: June 17, 2007 12:58AM

Why so?

Date: June 17, 2007 01:22PM

Lets just say being nasty to people isn't exactly in my nature. Particularly when that person is capable of tearing me into little pieces! ;)

Date: June 17, 2007 06:40PM

Kitten: I don't think you have to worry about being torn into little pieces. I don't think either Big Martin or the Minotaur are behind it.

And Jasper doesn't strike me as the tearing-into-little-pieces type - a withering look of disappointment, perhaps but no tearing into pieces. Do correct me if I'm wrong, though...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.