New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13
Re: what can you re-read repeatedly?
Posted by: Anonymous User (209.16.73.---)
Date: June 29, 2007 05:42PM

Lauran Kinsale historical romance novels. Awesome, and the only romance I'll read now. And Harry Potter - such joy! And Jasper Fforde, of course. But really, that's all I ever re-read. I'm usually in search of a new book, and not much interested in re-reading anything except those mentioned above.

Posted by: Lymond (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 01:21AM

Ok somebody mentioned trying Heyer? MartinB? Start with the talisman ring, you might actually get onto reading others then :) It seems we all share quite a few common book connections, I own every Eddings' (should that be an apostrophe? there are two of them after all so it is plural Eddings) I have quite a few (Dirk Pitt) Cussler and read a lot of the others mentioned. We should link :) Soandso links to whatsisname via suchan author whatisname links to whojemacallim via theother author etc.

Personal favourites are Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels of which I own a lot, David Gemmell of which I also own a lot (why did he have to go and die on the third troy book???) and all time favourite the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett which are truly amazing

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: July 02, 2007 06:13PM

What did Dorothy do?

{sorry couldn't help my self, what are the Lymond books about? I could go on Amazon but a personal account is better :) }

Posted by: Zambezi_Bushbaby (---.madagascar.yoafrica.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 08:05PM

I could easily read a few of my books again... I have re-read two or three Shakespeare's only cos they were good and I repeatedly analysed them.

A good book I have re-read a few times is "the Last Elephant" by Jeremy Gavron. Don't know if it would fascinate most people the way it did me. But it was good. Tolkien's books I have also managed to re-read a few times. Those are great.

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Posted by: Zambezi_Bushbaby (---.madagascar.yoafrica.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 08:06PM

I could easily read a few of my books again... I have re-read two or three Shakespeare's only cos they were good and I repeatedly analysed them.

A good book I have re-read a few times is "the Last Elephant" by Jeremy Gavron. Don't know if it would fascinate most people the way it did me. But it was good. Tolkien's books I have also managed to re-read a few times. Those are great.

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 06:53PM

Dirk Pitt is fun. Pure mindless escapism.

Busy reading The Malazan Chronicles by Erikson. Will have to be reread at some stage.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 12:06PM

Anything by Dorothy Whipple or Margarita Laski or Elizabeth Taylor (no not that one, I mean the writer!)
Diary of a Provincial Lady by E M Delafield
Mists of Avalon
Katherine by Anya Seton
TN series
Jennings (even though I'm at least 30 years to old!)
Therese Raquin (repulsive but compelling)
My collection of historical biographies

Posted by: Lymond (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 02:19AM

The Lymond Chronicles are about Francis Crawford of Lymond an imaginary minor Scottish noble in 16th-century Scotland. Apart from where it’s been changed or added to for the plot the history is apparently, accurate and some of the people mentioned in the books actually existed.

The first book is the Game of Kings:
Lymond, sometimes-Scottish noble, outlaw, criminal, flawed hero, statesman, poet, bard and countless other persona rips through the courts of 16th century Europe with an entourage of equally fantastic compatriots. Accused of treason against the Scottish crown, Lymond returns to Scotland after escaping from two years as a French galley slave, determined to prove his innocence and find out who framed him. He releases a drunk pig to cover his escape from a merchants house, sets fire to his mothers house (just to annoy her it seems) runs a band of outlaws up and down the country, repels the invading English with sheep, poses as a Spanish noble, tries to shoot his brother with a bow, among other hilarious schemes. It’s quite impossible to summarise the books, its complicated. Honestly the cleverest books i've ever seen written - you generally need a working knowledge of French and Latin to read them fully, with spattering of German, Italian, Spanish and some Turkish wouldn’t come amiss either, plus a fairly wide base of poems, classics and general English literature to catch all the many references. There is a companion volume to some of the books with translations of the poetry and other bits and bats. I read the series without any of this and still enjoyed them immensely. I completely recommend the series, top marks for wit, intelligence, plot lines and ingenuity!! - Go Read!!!!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 10:37AM

Is that Jennings as in *Paul* Jennings?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 09:06AM

For me it would be Douglas Adams, JKR (not so much the first three), Alison Croggon, prolly Artemis Fowl (although that's out of duty these days, as I moderate an AF website), Ffffforde, His Dark Materials, 1984, Frankenstein, Jennings (as in, 'and Darbishire'), William, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 09:50AM by Jangrafess.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 09:17AM

Welcome to the nuthouse Jangrafess. If you want cyber birthday cake, drop a message on the birthday thread and I will add your name to the list. When you feel like it, tell us something about yourself on the intros thread and in the meantime help yourself to pie. The potato and meat pie is fresh from the oven and the rhubarb and strawberry is particularly fine today.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 09:51AM

Rhubarb and Strawberry sounds particularly delicious. How about any Axminster? That'd be good. I'll be off to the birthday thread right away.

Posted by: Whatsnext (194.50.118.---)
Date: July 11, 2007 11:26AM

Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, Pride & Prejudice, The Power of One, The other Boylen girl.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 11, 2007 05:09PM

You could also introduce yourself on the birthday thread and tell us your birthday on the intros thread if you prefer.

Hi there, Whatsnext! Welcome to you too!

Posted by: Whatsnext (194.50.118.---)
Date: July 11, 2007 05:11PM

Hi Musesusan! Thanks for the welcome!

Posted by: RookeeAlding (68.208.65.---)
Date: July 11, 2007 07:33PM

all of the Harry Potters, Jasper's books, the Artemis Fowl books,douglas adams. sherlock homles. Many different Manga.(if those count.)

I feel I have a really interesting collection honestly.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: July 12, 2007 04:25AM

I prefer to watch my Manga animated. Never could get by on just reading it.

(Trinity blood... WOOHOO!)

Posted by: RookeeAlding (68.208.65.---)
Date: July 12, 2007 02:37PM

I like both actually, but where I am there is a gap in what I can find and when I can buy it.

take one of my faves case closed. neither bookstore in my area ever seems to have the # I need ( in fact books a million, rarely ever has the series, except the last time I went, where the had only one volume a # 18)

the DVD stores are worse, can't find anything I want. and only two of them near here!

at least they carry Jasper fforde, most the time.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.leed.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 12, 2007 03:28PM

I can re-read: Jasper Fforde books, Brian Jacque books and Narnia. That's all I can think of at the moment...

Posted by: MilesHawke (217.169.42.---)
Date: July 12, 2007 04:57PM

A while since I've posted but apart from Fforde the three books I've read over and over again are:-

The Crow Road - Iain Banks
Murder in the Cathedral - T.S. Eliot
Last Letters from Hav - Jan Morris

Miles

-----------------------------------------------------------
I have met smiters, and sons of thunder
And not unworthily walked with them

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.