New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: what can you re-read repeatedly?
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 27, 2008 11:01AM

dyslexic finger actions *wonders what they are*

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: March 30, 2008 05:30AM

they are similar to anorexic intellectual appetites.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A picture is worth a thousand words. A chocolate is worth a thousand pictures.

Posted by: Estelyn (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:24PM

Hi! I'm new here, having only recently discovered Fforde's wonderful books, and part of the reason I enjoy them is because I have loved to read almost all of my life. In accordance with the topic of this thread:

The books I have re-read most often are Tolkien's works, with the 'Lord of the Rings' as my absolute favourite and the 'Hobbit' and a number of his shorter works close behind. I read them both for the sheer pleasure of the language (that seems to be a connection to Fforde's books) and for research, as I've done some lecturing and writing on various topics concerning them.

Let me add myself to the list of Georgette Heyer fans - I love the brilliant dialogue and great characterizations in her books and come back to them to meet old friends.

P G Wodehouse is another author I enjoy re-reading, though I haven't collected his books yet, and since I live in Germany, the local library doesn't carry them.

My favourite humorous historical murder mysteries are the Falco books, written by Lindsey Davis - very enjoyable!

As a fan of nonsense literature and poetry, I of course come back to Lewis Carroll's 'Alice' books often.

Of Jane Austen's works, I have re-read Pride and Prejudice most frequently.

A book that I loved in my teens and still come back to re-read occasionally is Louisa May Alcott's 'Little Women'.

I did re-read the Harry Potter books after finishing the last one, to get the whole context again, and I used to re-read the Narnia books more often, though I now come back only to refresh my memory when I've seen one of the movies, for example.

Now Fforde's books will take a prominent place in my list of re-readables; I'm finishing 'The Fourth Bear' after having read all of the Thursday Next books and TBOE within a couple of weeks. Then I'll go back and re-read to get the details & connections and catch the allusions I missed the first time around. Brilliant stuff!

*As another "temporally enhanced" member (gotta love that expression!) I can't help but wonder - is that bottle of port still open? ;)

Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless? (JRRT)

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.164.249.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: August 07, 2008 10:08AM

Welcome Estelyn! I am afraid that even if that bottle of port was open it would be undrinkable by now. Never fear, there will be another along soon. In the meantime, try some pie.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (92.18.67.---)
Date: August 07, 2008 10:35AM

Howdy, Estelyn!

Welcome to the Fforum. There's a special on animal puns this month so beware, and be careful of unclaimed chocolate as it may well be a trap laid by ex-Fforumites.

Egon.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 07, 2008 10:41AM

Welcome! I believe there may be some of the Sweet and savoury pies left somewhere. One of the others has clearly marked them distinctly with a pastry S on top, for ease of identification.

A week ago, some chocolate turned out to be carob- so keep an eye open at all times as it can get aggressive.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: August 07, 2008 02:55PM

Welcome.
I choose to think of myself as the token sane-person around here. Glad to see someone has directed you to the pies. The Banana Creme is particularly good.

Posted by: Estelyn (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 06:42PM

Thanks for the friendly welcome! It is a bit intimidating to find that many posts on the books I just finished reading are several years old, so I will relax and have some of that pie before I jump in and write my thoughts. Mmmmm, pie! :)

Posted by: EgonSpengler (92.18.67.---)
Date: August 07, 2008 09:14PM

Look out for the fairy cakes in the fridge. They're especially nice on days with a 'y' in them.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.vicdir.schools.net.au)
Date: August 08, 2008 12:41AM

I have read the harry potter books over and over again!
I love Jane Austen, particularly pride and prejudice so i have read it countless times!

I like Meg Cabot's books and although it might sound weird, i am a teenager and i could read them for days on end! especially the mediator series!!

Christopher Pallini's (i think i spelt his last name wrong but you get the pic!) books, eragon, etc as well as christopher d'lacy's books (again to do with dragons)

Obviously Fforde's books and they are the best!!!!

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.253-198-220.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 08, 2008 12:17PM

There was some battenburg around here somewhere as well if you need a marxipan fix.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 12:25PM

Really? I thought the battenburg was finished after the Great Carob Incident? Or were those the Rhubarb and Custard Doughnuts?

For my part I re-read Sherlock Holmes, David Eddings, Jules Verne and of course Jasper Fforde and will continue so to do.

E.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 12:28PM by EgonSpengler.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.253-198-220.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 08, 2008 02:48PM

I went though a phase of rereading everything that I had, especially David Edding waiting for him to finish the Belegariad!

Now I struggle to read anyhting once, let alone twice. I can't remember how many time I reread LOTR, and my copy definitely shows that. I just reread The Colour of Magic, and came away sorely disappointed, so I'm not to sure about revisiting Pterry.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: August 09, 2008 12:21PM

well, before everyone else leaps in and says it
... Colour of Magic, and the Light Fantastic, aren't really discworld books anymore. They were more parodies, whereas the discworld has become a much MUCH more interesting place in it's own right.

Try Small Gods.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: August 10, 2008 05:42AM

Dispute alert:

COM & LF are not parodies - they are the early renditions of the story arena. Try to think of them as the literary equivalent of hand tuning a tV on analogue VHF. It's a bit of hit and miss and hiss and you can't quite get perfect reception so the storyline of the program is a bit muddied and you have other transmissions creeping in. When you get the frequency set and locked it all becomes a bit clearer.

As an aside - would you deride early WA Mozart music as it was not as good as later craetions? Are they parodies?

As for re-reading: I'm currently organising a re-read of all my Uncle Scrooge comics. It is a necessary counterbalance to Philosophy club meetings wherein such subjects as 'what are the conditions necessary to have nothing'? are discussed, even meaningfully so that you come away with some idea of what was discussed.

McDuck world seems too make more sense.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: August 10, 2008 03:11PM

Good point. That's a better way of putting it.

What I meant, was that they were more parodies of the fantasy genre in general, as the Discworld was still very nebulous and theoretical. As the series has progressed, it's a much more detailed world- the places and characters have become more detailed, and in my opinion, at least, stronger. I'm not saying they are rubbish, just not as easy to fall into as the later books.

To use Bunyip's musical matchsticks (don't worry, we can have a comic book flame war in the other thread <wink>) it's kind of like using the first note to judge the quality of the symphony. That first note simply doesn't contain enough information.

Oh, and The Truth is another good 'first' book to try. Or Going Postal.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (92.18.190.---)
Date: August 10, 2008 05:07PM

So what do we consider the first 'good' book of Discworld to be? I say 'Sourcery' since many of the classic elements come into play in that volume. Also, it has towers. You can never have too many towers.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.62.61.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: August 11, 2008 10:19AM

PLEASE just for me. Much as I love PTerry and all his works, don't we have enough threads where we all say which is the best one to start with?

Does LeonardDQ still love towers after his marathon build?

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 11, 2008 11:27AM

Understood. Has anyone played Carcassonne?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: August 11, 2008 03:29PM

Sorry. I keep doing that. In real life too- I keep waving books in faces and saying "Read it! Read it!"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.