New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: BookEnds! help most needed
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: July 02, 2007 01:08PM

Well, all I can point you to is the german version:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

The only translated book by Niebelschütz seems to be The badger of Ghissi, which I don't know anything about.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: July 02, 2007 04:04PM

I really must learn how to read German... For this book now, as well as the german versions of Robert Rankin's books.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: July 02, 2007 04:35PM

DON'T DO THAT!!!!!!

...sorry for crying out loud, but the german translations of Robert Rankin are the worst thing I ever happened to encounter in print. Seriously.

(I am still gathering the courage to read one of his books in English. You guys have brought me along most of the way, but after that experience with the alleged german book...still shuddering)

Date: July 02, 2007 04:56PM

I only really want to read the argument between the translator and the author. I don't think I'd do well trying to read a whole book in a language I don't know.

... And a good one to start you off on R.R is the Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apolcalypse. Especially if you liked the Nursery Crime books. :)

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 03, 2007 10:29AM

Are you trying to stir up trouble BK? (Silly question). Wasn't there a certain unpleasantness over that book?

I would suggest going right back to the start and reading the first three volumes of The Brentford Trilogy. (The Antipope, The Brentford Triangle and East of Ealing). Don't worry, they are all short books.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Date: July 03, 2007 12:51PM

There was? I must have missed it because I was too busy reading it and stamping/whistling/applauding.

Oh, and of course, the Armageddon Trilogy.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 04, 2007 05:10AM

I'd go back and reread Fool on the Hill, which I first picked up because of the recommendation of this very fforum! And at some point I'm going to pick up Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell again, though that's not a light read. That's in addition to many of the other suggestions on this thread.

Posted by: mrs SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 03:14PM

the best endings complete the story, not necessarily the series or the characters' complete story but that part of it. A thread left for further development is fine but if it's glaringly 'oh look there's a bit screamingly left over' it can be very annoying.
Does that make sense?

Date: July 09, 2007 08:08AM

Yes, Dear.

Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: July 17, 2007 03:38AM

the very end of So Long and Thanks for All the Fish:

After a final pause, Marvin gathered his strength for the last stretch.
He read the "e", the "n", the "c" and at last the final "e", and staggered back into their arms.
"I think," he murmured at last, from deep within his corroding rattling thorax, "I feel good about it."
The lights went out in his eyes for absolutely the very last time ever.
Luckily, there was a stall nearby where you could rent scooters from guys with green wings.

Additionally, the ending of pretty much every single short adult story Roald Dahl every wrote. i.e. Man from the South, Taste, Dip in the Pool, Edward the Conqueror, Lamb to the Slaughter (which i took the time to make into an ebook), The Way Up to Heaven, Parson's Pleasure, Royal Jelly, etc. Absolutely brilliant writer.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 17, 2007 04:59PM

Wow, I'd forgotten how much I liked that ending (and good job not giving away the context and full message!) Whenever I see construction signs with that phrase I can't help but smile.

Posted by: Chris (---.bu.edu)
Date: July 17, 2007 06:17PM

That might be my favorite in the Hitchhiker canon. It was highly underrated (especially by Douglas himself!). I suppose it only works in the context of the first three books, but the role reversal is great fun. For the first time, Arthur is the one who knows what's going on (and can finally show off some of the things he's picked up), whereas the rest of the world is the naive "everyman" instead of him!

And the bit with Arthur and Fenchurch having some rather intimate moments while floating through the sky is the only successful attempt at a romantic chapter I've ever read (not usually being a fan of that genre, like a proper male). Too often the humor is left out of "love." And the lady's thoughts on the airplane are of course the payoff for the reader. Marvelous writing. Miss you terribly, Douglas.

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 17, 2007 06:58PM

Radio 4 are doing Dirk Gently in a six part series.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I must admit I've adopted the Dirk Gently method of not getting lost i.e. follow someone who looks like they know where they are going. Especially in Swindon I may add!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: July 17, 2007 07:29PM

Antgeth: Just been reading Kiss, Kiss by him. 0.o.... Way cool stuff.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: July 17, 2007 10:57PM

if anyone likes i can upload my Lamb to the Slaughter to my website. it is a brilliant piece of classic Dahl, and although it is still under copyright, no one really cares; you're not really stealing anything...

and Susan– i think that the whole concept of that being God's Final Message to His Creation is genius... and so... fitting!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: July 18, 2007 06:25AM

"no one really cares"

Just as well it isn't a bond novel!

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: July 18, 2007 08:22AM

Robertson Davies' Fifth Business; I had to read the whole novel again to see the story in light of this final confrontation in Boy's office when the significance of the paperweight is revealed.

Was delighted to read recently that the Sweet Valley High series did end eventually...

Date: July 18, 2007 09:13AM

...you're not really stealing anything...

Oh yes you are.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.134.---)
Date: July 18, 2007 01:09PM

Oh no you're not!

(has anyone seen the pantomime horse?)

Date: July 18, 2007 04:14PM

It's behind you.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.