New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
irc channel? EDIT: irc channel!
Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 04:24AM

this forum could use an irc channel, in my opinion. i like talking in real time. or typing, more rather than talking.

any input?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2007 06:32AM by Antgeth.

Re: irc channel?
Posted by: Tari (66.195.211.---)
Date: July 06, 2007 04:42AM

iiiinput, more iiiinput!

I like real-time chatting too, but I think it's a bit impractical when all of the fforumites are scattered across the globe. I mean, when I'm normally on and posting, it's something like 4 in the morning in England. For some chat rooms that doesn't make much of a difference, but I think you'd be very lonely sometimes in an irc channel if no one lives in a similar timezone.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: July 06, 2007 04:57AM

I like the current set up actually- I'm not often on at the same time as others. A timezone thing.

Of course, that's not to say I'd deprive anyone else of one- as long as all the really good jokes are stuck on the fforum later.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 05:19AM

THere used to be a chatroom around here. It died out awhile back, but maybe it could be revived. As for time, it never seemed to be much of an issue.

Date: July 06, 2007 06:32AM

well, i went ahead.

#tnext on esper.net
i connect using dream.esper.net usually b/c that works the best.

if anyone who has opped before or is at the very least somewhat knowledgable about IRC would like to be an operator, please tell me.

Re: irc channel? EDIT: irc channel!
Date: July 06, 2007 06:40AM

i will not be able to be around all the time (as i have a life unlike some IRC ops i know, but don't give up hope.

also i need at least ONE other operator, who can be there when i'm not, b/c i can't have my computer on ALL the time, and channels w/o ops become mayhem.

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: July 06, 2007 09:10AM

IME, the best way to kick off forum chat rooms is to arrange a couple of online meets at times that suit everyone rather than having the room occupied at all times.

Antgeth, I'm not really online enough to do IRCop as I can't get IRC from work and I tend not to online at home - but I could hook you up with a chanbot if that's any help?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 09:44AM

Good luck with your IRC venture.

Please forgive me if I don't join in: I prefer the existing format, but can see why others might differ. Feel free to take some pie into the chat room.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 07:48PM

Hmm....

Know what I need to do, but never done it before.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Zambezi_Bushbaby (---.madagascar.yoafrica.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 08:57PM

Hmmm that would be a nice idea... get to chat in real time...

*sighs* ... more work avoidance coming...

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Date: July 06, 2007 11:31PM

if anybody is unsure how to join the channel, here are some instructions. this is for those who don't use IRC already; i'm assuming people who do probably have their own clients, which is why i'm linking to an online client.

1. realize that this idea needs some support in order to ever take off.

2. go to [esper.net]

3. wait for it to start (may take a while depending on internet speed)

4. once it has loaded and you get the server welcome message, type (exactly) "/join #tnext" (don't include the quotation marks)

5. you should then be in the chatroom.

6. if you desire a nickname other than the generic one given to you by ChanServ, type (exactly) "/nick whateveryouwantyournametobe" (again no quotes).

7. that's it! enjoy!

8. if you feel enthusiastic about this idea, please stay connected all/a lot of the time. for this you may wish to download an IRC client. for windows a good one is mIRC, and for mac a good one is X-Chat Aqua. i don't know the links, so just google 'em. Linux users, you're on your own ;-). you should know, anyway.

Date: July 07, 2007 03:35AM

hmmm, it doesn't seem to want to let me connect to it. My access has been denied. :(

Date: July 07, 2007 03:51AM

that's not good :(

it doesn't let you connect to the channel?
or the esrver?

Date: July 07, 2007 06:29PM

the esrvr, I can't change channels because I'm not connected at all.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 02:49PM

Alternative methods for connecting would be using mIRC on a PC or ircle or snak on a mac. There's pleanty of info on the interweb on how to use these programmes, but I *may* be able to help if anyone is struggling. Some of you may also be interested in checking out #afp on irc.ie.lspace.org - an example of a pratchett fan based irc channel. I haven't been there for a while, its not the busiest place on the web, but there's usually someone hanging arround.

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Date: July 08, 2007 03:30PM

I had no trouble.

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 09:17AM

IRC may not always be available. If you're connecting to the internet via a proxy - either a home one that you've set up, or a work or school one, you'll generally need to make sure that either port 6667 or 7000 is open on the proxy.

If it's not your proxy and your IT admin is any good, you can work on the basis that it's closed!

Also, if you're using an online interface, you may have to check the permissions both in your browser and your Windows Security settings.

It's never easy!

irc.lspace.org - is that place still going? Wow I've not been there in YEARS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 09:17AM by xmorpheus.

Date: July 17, 2007 03:56AM

well it is up and running, and could use some more activity!

Date: July 17, 2007 06:54PM

Well, I am rarely online at 0500am, so I doubt I will get to talk to you.

Date: July 19, 2007 11:01PM

i have talked with xmorpheus, and we decided that an organized meeting would probably be the best way to get activity. since most people here live in the UK, the best time would probably be evening in the UK, so that those in the US (ilke me on the west coast), could connect sometime in the early/mid afternoon. (sorry for those elsewhere– you'll either have to stay up late or get up early :P)

since i am 16, i don't have much obligations during the summer, so can be on most days. however, this weekend coming up might be hard for me to connect during, and i will also be on vacation from August 3-12, and it is possible though doubtful that i will be able to be online for any kind of extended period during that time.

so please discuss, i value your input on when this should be.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.