New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: A small apology
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: July 26, 2007 07:07AM

Paradise by the dashboard lights?

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: July 26, 2007 08:56AM

Well everything that gets left in the car long enough will turn into a Best of Queen album - that's the law.

They're coming to take me away ha ha is quite a good one for traffic jams. You start it with really low volume then gradually turn it up and up and make sure you're singing along maniacally. Trust me, you'll have NO issue getting a gap to change lanes when it finally starts moving again!

Another good one is The Toy Dolls' version of Nellie the Elephant - again you have to sing along vigorously!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: July 26, 2007 10:55AM

I know you laughed I heard you laugh... and now you see I'm completely out of my mind...

Hmm.... I still like the idea of playing Bach really, really loudly.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: August 03, 2007 04:36PM

Heard on the news this morning -- the transit authority (bus station) in Tacoma, in an effort to deter gang members from hanging about, is now piping very loud classical music into the terminal.

An interview with a gang member confirmed that they will probably move out of earshot.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: August 03, 2007 06:55PM

Now that's creepy - I have the local news running in the background, and just one minute after I was reading this post, it said the Berlin public transport company anounced to use classical music to drive dealers and homeless away from the underground stations...

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: August 04, 2007 12:34AM

They play classical music over the speakers at Dandenong train station for the same reason. However, it's not the music that drives people away, it's the shocking quality of the speakers- it actually hurts to listen for too long! Recently they've added plastic pop to the songlist as well.

I gotta learn to drive.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: August 04, 2007 05:37AM

Ugh, classical music played out of awful speakers in public transportation…I shudder. However, that's nothing compared to what I heard the other day: the ice cream truck playing a really awful mangling of Beethoven's Für Elise, from whatever player ice cream trucks use that can only play about eight different notes, one at a time, each one sounding more synthetic than the last.

Date: August 04, 2007 09:43AM

*winces*

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.109.---)
Date: August 04, 2007 02:29PM

Wheehee! I think I need to get that on cd now.

Posted by: megs (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: August 05, 2007 12:04PM

In an effort to get rid of the "mall rats" the local council where my parents live pipe classical music, 24/7, through the mall in the middle of the city. Hate to think what the shopkeepers around think of that.

And even stranger, it actually kind of worked. Now instead of the mall rats there are music students walking around singing along to it (*cough* no of course I haven't done that myself *cough*).

-------

Beware of the flying giraffes.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: August 05, 2007 02:13PM

Does anyone have the famous ultrasonic whine piped through speakers anywhere near them? Can you hear it? I plan on telsting myself with it one day, because I know I can hear it, by seeing how long I can stand to be around it. Geeky, I know, but I'm curious.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 03:04PM

Y'all make me smile.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.109.---)
Date: August 06, 2007 10:25AM

At knife point, if need be.

Date: August 06, 2007 10:47AM

Kitten: as you get older you lose the ability to hear high frequencies. Which means that a high-pitched whine can be effective in warding off young'uns.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.133.---)
Date: August 06, 2007 01:41PM

Yeah, but it aint neccessarily so... I know plenty of people (myself included) who aren't supposed to be able to hear ultrasonic frequencies who can.
Although my grandmother, can't, I'll conceed.

Oh, and I meant 'testing' before, but I can't tpye fro unts.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: August 06, 2007 03:26PM

Your ability to hear high frequencies does decline as you age, but for any particular age the ability to hear a certain frequency varies wildly among individuals. So there might be some early teens who can't even hear the whine, and some adults who can still hear it. I'm in my twenties and can hardly hear it (I've never encountered a store that played it, but I went to an illusion-themed show at a science museum that started with a discussion of that kind of effect).

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 06, 2007 06:39PM

Of course that doesn't work: I can hear teenagers whining all the time, but they seem immune to it..........................(Sorry Martin)

Date: August 07, 2007 10:10AM

They should play on the really low end of the frequency range - that makes you skittish, gives you a really "creepy feeling" and in extreme cases, makes your bowels go loose........

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: August 07, 2007 10:27AM

Unless you believe what the Mythbusters have to say about it, lol.

Oh god. Imagine if those lads got together with the Top Gear boys...

Date: August 07, 2007 10:55AM

Well they did the low frequency thing on Brainiacs as well - I don't think it was that successful either - but it does make a good story.

If you really want to make someone's bowels go loose, try Phenolphthalein........

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.