New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Book Recommendation Thread
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hudd.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 12, 2007 03:25PM

I liked the No 1 Ladies series by Alexander McCall Smith too. Heartwarming and easy to read. I read the whole series (about 7 books?) in one week after coming out of hospitalafter breaking my ankle last year. I needed something undemanding and they fitted the bill perfectly.

Wasn't so keen on Sunday Philosophy Club though - wouldn't recommend that.

Read A spot of Bother by Mark Haddon on holiday. Not really in same league as his first book The Curious Incident..but I enjoyed it and some of it made me laugh out loud. So would recommend it as a good holiday read!

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 09:04AM

Just discovered a new one (well new to me - they've been around for a fair while - not sure how I missed them!)

P N Elrod's vampire chronicles - set in the 1930s with a vampire private detective. The one I picked up is actually the first 3 books in one anthology so if you are going to take a look, keep an eye out for these - much more cost-effective! :)

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.133.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 12:49PM

Vampires?

<runs to bookstore>
<realises what time it is>
<Sets up camp>

Date: August 13, 2007 02:14PM

Yep - vampires!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 15, 2007 06:25AM

Bonzai Kitten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now that sounds good...
>
> Although a bit of a busman's holiday for you isn't
> it?

Not really: it is mrs. SkidMarks who works with books. I work with computers and bad people who try to break them, steal from them or hide rude stuff on them.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2007 07:29AM

Keep fighting those bad people. They deserve punishments above and beyond what is allowed by statute.

Oh and on the vampire tip --- Barbara Hambly's 'Those Who Hunt the Night' is verrrry good...

Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.ketch.alaska.edu)
Date: August 20, 2007 10:31PM

I recommend... the lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! The lollipop clan! Did you expect something down here?

Date: August 21, 2007 08:53AM

Sorry Dist, but what do you recommend?

:p

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 21, 2007 06:52PM

The Golliwog what?

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: August 21, 2007 07:36PM

Clam, apparently.

Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.ketch.alaska.edu)
Date: August 21, 2007 09:56PM

Yes. I recommend clam.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: August 22, 2007 01:56PM

What are you're feelings regarding the Holly Hop?

Posted by: The Cookster (217.154.169.---)
Date: August 22, 2007 01:59PM

That it's not a patch on the Mistletoe Mooch :-)

Posted by: mrs SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 09, 2007 03:22PM

sorry, i've been away a while....Skids is working now so I have to do dishes. (he used to do them while I was at work but he still washes, I dry.)
Anyway, if you like Vampires try Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St Germain chronicles, first one was Hotel Transylvania, I think, but you don't need to(can't) read them in order as she jumps about through every interesting period of history. He's a really old Vampire.
Also if you venture into kids books try The Various & Celandine by Steve Augarde. Basically the lead character finds the fairies at the bottom of the garden, or farm in this case, and they are really good, the books not the faiires. There will be a third one but it's not out yet.
And GOOD FAIRIES OF NEW YORK by Mark Millar is worth shouting about.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 03:35PM

Try:

Tom Holt's books [www.tom-holt.com]

Robert Rankin, from whom wisdom sprouts

The godlike Terry Pratchett, who DISCusses many things in well written ways

Eric Frank Russell - who could put SF and humour together, although the SF is a bit dated they are still a good read.

Boccaccio

Sax Rohmer and the Fu Manchu stories, and because you are nearly all very young, and sitting comfortably, I should like to tell you of a telegram (Remember them) sent between Milligan and Sellers that read:

'Remember, all men eat but Fu Man Chu'

You gotta go 'OWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Good night children everywhere.

Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 10, 2007 06:28AM

MartinB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sabriel is awesome.

I loved Sabriel when I read it in high school, but I re-read it last year and wasn't all that impressed. I should have just left it as a good memory.

I really enjoyed Dark Song and Dark Fall by Isobelle Carmody. I read the first two in high school and re-read them last year thinking that the next one would be out by now but found out that I still have to wait (until possibly 2008) for the third book in the series. I recommend that if you haven't read them yet, you should hold off until after the third one has been published and read them all together.

Another great series that I highly recommend is Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond E. Feist. I got Magician from My Fireman for Christmas last year. Building on the same world and characters: the Krondor series are good too.

'Who looks after the animals?'

Date: September 10, 2007 08:50AM

I loved Magician/ST/DAS and also the Servant of the Empire books.

But I do feel he's gone off the boil a bit now. The last couple of books are really just rehashing the same old stuff but this time it's a different planet that's the threat :( Shame really - but I guess he'll keep writing as long as there's a demand.

Another interesting Feistian book is Faerie Tale.

It's very different to his normal style and a great read!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.110.---)
Date: September 11, 2007 02:35PM

The Land of Laughs
Johnathon Carrol (I think)

I'm obsessed by that book! lol. I think it traumatised me in a really good way as a kiddie.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.vicdir.schools.net.au)
Date: September 12, 2007 03:39AM

Isobelle Carmody once said she was afraid of dying if she ever finished a series.

I like some of her books- I am still waiting for the last one of her Obernewton series- was meant to be ou t 3 years ago! It is coming out at the end of this year I think- Darkfall and Darksong will be a lonely two for a while yet I daresay!

There is one book of hers I find very scary- "The Gathering". Not such a fan of that one

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.