New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Name that fruit - Jasper not the ffirst!
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 05:33PM

Has anyone been watching the series repeats of Red Dwarf on Virgin 'on demand?' I was, a few weeks back. I nearly fell off the sofa when I heard a classic FFordism. I can't remember the name of the episode, but it was series 1 or 2 (I think) and involved Kryton falling in love with another android, who turns out to be a yucky alien in disguise - she goes off with another yucky alien at the end, leaving him heartbroken. The title was a single woman's name - Christabelle or something. These were the days before RD went all PC with a female crew member, and ran out of jokes and air time.

The bit of dialogue I'm talking about was near the start of the prog, and went something like this:

Dave Lister is trying to get Kryton to tell a deliberate lie - Kryton is programmed to tell only the truth. He holds up a variety of fruit, and tries to get Kryton to call them something else. (e.g calling an orange an apple etc) at first, Kryton can't but eventually he does. He then goes on to find crazier and crazier alternatives to the fruit names, e.g calling an orange a small and hairy Polish plumber (or something like that) Lister then calls Cat to hear this exciting new development. But when he holds up the orange, Kryton has reverted once more to truth mode. Lister tries again and again, but the reprogramming hasn't held - an apple is once more an apple, a banana is a banana etc. 'I can't understand it!' lister wails. 'He was doing ok a few minutes back.'
But (and here's the punchline) Cat is genuinely amazed. 'Wow, that was amazing! you two should be on 'Name that fruit!'

So that's where he got it from, thinks I, imagining JF to be a Red Dwarf fan and really, really pleased I have discovered this little golden snippet of knowledge.. Jump forward a week or so, to the Reading book signing. I haven't got the guts to open this topic at the 'Q and A' sesh, so I wait till I can speak to Jasper face to face (first time ever I've met him mind) 'I think I know where you got the idea for Name that Fruit,' I say, proceeding to relate the RD episode. I get a blank stare by return. No, Jass has never watched Red Dwarf and, what's more, he got the idea for 'NTF' from a program he once worked on, called 'Name that Fish.' He was interested though - said it fitted in with what he'd spoken about earlier.

It didn't help me though. Considering that I'd 'dried up' the moment I started to talk, and couldn't even remember the robot's name, I felt a right ruddy idiot ...

Someone told me I only saw that episode cos I'd been reading JF beforehand. It's all to do with entropy, apparently. I've taken to keeping a jar of lentils and rice handy. Any other coincidental examples out there - Bookworld or otherwise? My whole life seems to be either chaos or coincidence at the moment - usually both together.

Re: Name that fruit - Jasper not the ffirst!
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: August 23, 2007 05:43PM

Jasper has a Concidence Corner for these type of things on his website.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 06:11PM

It may well have lodged in Jaspers subconcious: I like to think that he is the sort of person who would have enjoyed Red Dwarf.

I think that the episode was "Camille"

RD did have female characters from the start: Clare Grogan as the original Kochanski in occasional episodes in series 1 & 2 and Hattie Hayridge as Holly from season 3 onwards, but I know what you mean about the later series.

We don't watch the "On Demand" stuff on Virgin as it seems problematic (like most of Virgin Media) at best, working when it feels like it and hanging or just refusing to work when that is its mood. I can't complain about the broadband though, as that is a lot better since the demise of NTL..........

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hudd.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 06:28PM

SkidMarks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> We don't watch the "On Demand" stuff on Virgin as
> it seems problematic (like most of Virgin Media)
> at best, working when it feels like it and hanging
> or just refusing to work when that is its mood. I
> can't complain about the broadband though, as that
> is a lot better since the demise of NTL..........

Aaah...not just me that finds that then...I assumed it was all down to me not being able to work the TV bit properly as I didn't bother reading the instructions. I feel slightly better now :-)

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: August 24, 2007 10:54AM

Red Dwarf... Ah, happy memories.

Anyone care for a game of tiddlywink showjumping?

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 07:30PM

I've been watching Red Dwarf lately, too, and I noticed the reference, and just figured that's where Jasper got the idea.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: August 25, 2007 03:20AM

I wish I wish I WISH they'd put it back on telly over here!

Date: August 25, 2007 04:28AM

I can tell you where to find them online,if you like. All the seasons are complete except for season 8.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: August 25, 2007 10:27AM

I only have dial up, I'm afraid, but thankyou so much for the offer!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: August 25, 2007 12:39PM

I could e-mail them to you?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 09:04AM

LOL

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.vicdir.schools.net.au)
Date: August 27, 2007 06:08AM

I need the last two series! Must Have. Why are the last two never on sale???

Jasper would probably enjoy the series. Have they dropped the idea of a Red Dwarf Movie? They were trying to make one- I think Craig Charles was in the deep end for something, or by rumour.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: August 27, 2007 10:26AM

Cruel! Cruel!

(here for movie updates: [www.reddwarf.co.uk] )

Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 06, 2007 11:38AM

I've been re-watching a bit of Red Dwarf lately with My Fireman. I like the first few seasons the best. Cat is my favourite. Early Kryton is a bit annoying.

BibwitHart, I was shopping in Dubbo (NSW) today at the ABC shop and saw both season VII and VIII, as well as the Just the Shows box sets for all seasons, and Beat the Geek the interactive DVD quiz. I saw some of them at Big W too.

'Who looks after the animals?'

Name that fruit - Jasper not the ffirst!
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 04:18AM

I knew I'd heard of that somewhere!

Which reminds me, I've got to get seasons 3-6 back from a friend...

They used to show Red Dwarf on PBS every Saturday night-
but they stopped doing that about 5 years ago, so I had to get copies on DVD.

You can get them here:
[www.ccvideo.com]

I had to stop looking at the Critic's Choice catalogues when I got too broke to buy stuff...

Date: September 09, 2007 04:47AM

YOu can also get them on amazon.com, and I've also seen double sets at Borders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.