New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
of meteors and men
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 17, 2007 01:34PM

Sorry, meant to post this yonks ago. Did anyone (probably applies to UK/Europe - not sure re rest of world) go meteor searching back in July, i.e when the Pleides (forgive me if my astronomy is up the Swanee) meteor showers made their annual appearance? Actually, it wasn't so much a shower as a light drizzle but, since the skies were nice and clear for once I thought I'd go and see what all the fuss was about. Perhaps I shouldn't have reread my TN collection beforehand because it was all a bit of a, um, disappointment. Found myself a nice little spot on Box Hill, baseball glove at the ready, but all I saw was these flashy light things in the sky. One every 15 minutes, by my reckoning. No mad dash to catch them as they came sizzling and swizzling down to Earth, no 'heavies' demanding to know why the planet Uranus gets so mispronounced ... The only signs of any out-of-control conflagration occurring was when some twit knocked their hurricane lamp over ...

Seriously, though, it was kind of nice being with so many like-minded people. One thing Jasper didn't put in his book was the noises people make when confronted with bright lights cascading across the night sky, especially when it's a not particularly warm night, and the agonising crick in their necks suggests that, much as they feel they SHOULD be there, their energies could be much better utilised elsewhere but, at the end of the day, it's only one night a year, it's a free public display and besides the kids wanted to see it. It's a group sound and it goes: 'Ooh, aaahhh!" (Actually, it was more the sound you get at your Dad's private firework party in the back garden, with the dirt @#$%& fiver a box Brocks specials and fifteen minutes between some rather disappointing explosions. You know: 'Ooh .... (wait for it, wait for it) .., aaah ...' With the occasional 'Eek' thrown in when the milk bottle falls over)

I take all that back. Jasper did describe the sound effects very well, it's just that, in the TN world, people go: 'Aarrgh! Owwwooohhh!' with the occasional 'Run! FOR GODSAKE RUN!' thrown in.

Perhaps things are better in Mexico?

Re: of meteors and men
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: September 17, 2007 03:18PM

Er, Leonids?

It was too cloudy here, alas. Usually I watch them though. We certainly dont get any near enough to catch.
:)

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: September 18, 2007 08:21AM

I'm not sure what I'd do if a meteorite came towards me. As an artist it would be tough to lose a hand...

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:42AM

I missed them too - it was a cloudy morning in Adelide.

But I saw that big shower a few years ago - can't remember when it was - as we had clear skies so my younger offspring asnd I went north a few dozen km to watch it.

Very spectacular - over a hundered sightings a minute at the peak easily visible.

I git the impression that they were going:

FFFWWWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

as they passed overhead, to the side, and down in front of us

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:44AM

I missed them too - it was a cloudy morning in Adelaide.

But I saw that big shower a few years ago - can't remember when it was - as we had clear skies so my younger offspring and I went north past Templers few dozen km well before dawn to watch it.

Very spectacular - over a hundred sightings a minute at the peak easily visible.

I got the impression that they were going:

FFFWWWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

as they passed overhead, to the side, and down in front of us.

Could be my imagination, though

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 19, 2007 03:32PM

UR right, Bonzai, the Leonids it is. The Pleides is a star cluster several thousand light years away. Now if THAT had come down to earth, it WOULD have been spectacular. The place I'd have liked to have been that night, was the observatory at Hurstmonceux in Sussex. They really roll the boat out - twenty five quid a ticket, but for that you get a four course meal, all the booze you can drink and live music thrown in. I got the feeling it was evening dress compulsory, with chamber music rather than a rock band - very TNextian, the sort of thing Mycroft and Polly would go to.

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: September 19, 2007 04:17PM

I thought it was Pleides, too, and only this year realised it was Leonids. Is there a Pleides meteor shower?

I'm going to assume no one was in Peru Saturday night?
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 19, 2007 06:33PM

There was a meteorite shower in August, The Perseid meteor shower visible in the U.K. between about midnight and 4 A.M. Perhaps it is this one you mean. The Leonids are not usually very spectacular.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: September 19, 2007 09:13PM

Leonids have a special show every 33 years (I have a feeling 2000 was the last one) but otherwise they are one of the more mediocre events. Perseids tend to be the best.

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 22, 2007 01:20PM

Sadly couldn't see it up here as the weather was being ver un cooperative all summer - I didn't think it was true that the first day back at school was the start of summer but the first day back was the first beautiful day we had all summer and we had a really lovely spell for ages - just typical!!!! We are quite lucky as we live in the country so if there are no clouds we get a quite good view from the garden.

I do like shooting stars but I always seem to be looking in the wrong part of the sky! :(

Date: September 23, 2007 01:25PM

If you like shooting stars can I recommend 'Stenders, Corrie and M-or-Dale as good places to start. Do not go near Last of the Summer Wine set, 'cos the sudden loud sound of a gunshot could kill off all the cast...................

Date: September 23, 2007 08:47PM

Ah so you feel I should be selective in my targeting of the cream of British soap actors? What are your feelings towards Hollyoaks and Doctors? ;P

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: September 24, 2007 05:57PM

Just nuke Hollywood and make life easier. Why start with the smaller stars?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Shakespeare (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2007 04:40AM

sic

Date: September 30, 2007 02:45PM

nemades Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah so you feel I should be selective in my
> targeting of the cream of British soap actors?
> What are your feelings towards Hollyoaks and
> Doctors? ;P

Not selective, I was just suggesting a good place to start. The LotSW request was just so that you did not wipe out so many with the noise from one shot.......

Date: September 30, 2007 06:22PM

That would indeed not be sporting!

Date: October 02, 2007 06:40PM

Perhaps a bow and arrows for them?

Date: October 02, 2007 10:53PM

Hmm, I like the possibilities suddenly opening up!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.