New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone been to.....New York (Manhattan), Las Vegas, Orlando?
Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: October 11, 2007 08:45AM

Well it's nearly time - in 2 weeks, we're jetting off to do the whole marriage thing (if anyone is bored and wants to watch the wedding online, let me know and I'll send you the details! :p )

We're doing 3 days in NY, 5 days in Vegas and 7 days in Orlando.

We've more or less figured out the various activities we want to do and booked most of them ahead.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any of these cities? Pubs, restaurants, that kind of thing?

We're particularly looking for a nice (but not too snobby) restaurant in NY - we're meeting the in laws in NY and going out for dinner.

Tavern on the Green has been suggested, but everything I've read seems to imply that although it looks good, they rely on being a tourist trap and the food is mediocre?

All help greatly appreciated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2007 08:47AM by xmorpheus.

Re: Anyone been to.....New York (Manhattan), Las Vegas, Orlando?
Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 05:41PM

Congrats, xmo!! Only 1 out of 3 known to me. That would be the garish & glorious Mecca of the Mojave, Lost Wages, NV. Where are you staying? Are you going to see Love? I highly recommend it. The Ghost Bar on the roof of The Palms has an absolutely spectacular view but if you aren't staying in the hotel it costs bundles to get in...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 11, 2007 06:36PM

I went to New York, once, but as I flew in in, went to a house-warming party and flew back, I only had time to be robbed (arrivals lounge, JFK) and didn't do any sight-seeing.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: October 11, 2007 06:57PM

I've been to all three, but I couldn't make any recommendations. My experiences in NYC have been of the @#$%&, nerdy college student type (i.e. a day at the Met or Natural History Museum and maybe McDonalds for dinner), and the other two I've only been to as a kid with my family. Have fun, though, and congratulations!

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (---.dynamic.mts.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 07:16PM

Congratulations! I've only been to NYC and also did the typical tourist things like a horse-drawn carriage ride through Central Park and going up the Empire State Building. I can remember going to a really good steakhouse, but cannot remember the name.

Have a wonderful time!

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 12:34AM

Hey Congratulations!!!
I am so envious, what a fantastic time you have ahead. I haven't been so I can't help I am afraid, I will ask about and see if anyone has anywhere to recommend as lots of my friends and relations have been.

Date: October 12, 2007 09:04AM

Thanks guys!

We're staying in the Luxor in LV. It's not the most upmarket hotel there, but it seemed to be the only one where the hotel rooms had any character at all - everything inside the hotels seems to be very generic.

The post wedding meal is being held at the faux Eiffel Tower. We'd originally wanted Stratosphere for the view, but they were so rude on the phone when I tried to book that we decided not to bother!

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 10:07PM

The Luxor is a good place to stay. I like the pyramid style. And you are about as far from the Stratosphere as you can get!

There's a cool little monorail too that will take you to Excalibur & Mandalay Bay - Rumjungle at the Mandalay has got some pretty amazing drinks (if you like rum, that is) but the music is not my favorite - house, hip-hop, techno, etc.

Best spot for romance - nighttime outside the Bellagio watching the fountains do their thing...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 13, 2007 08:07AM

Video info - Yes please! We (mrs. SkidMarks and I) will raise a glass to you at the approriate moment. If we can stand on chairs, we may then drink from those raised glasses.

Contratumaltions!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 01:15PM

I'll second that.

Congratulations.

Never having been to New York (and having no real desire to go there) enjoy yourselves.

But wouldn't it have been @#$%& (and less traumatic) to have everyons else go to the UK for the rituals?

Date: October 15, 2007 08:37AM

bunyip, we're not in the UK - we're in Ireland.

We decided to get married in LV because it worked out at about half the price of having a small wedding here. Of course "small" is a relative term - I have a typical Irish family, all of whom would expect to be fed and watered and his own family would have had to travel from Glasgow!

In addition, he won't get married in a church, I can't because I'm divorced and the registry office here only holds a maximum of 60 people which is nowhere near enough. No civil weddings allowed outside of a reg office here at present.

This way, we get the wedding and the honeymoon for the one price, we get to do something a bit different and there's no fuss, bother, political wrangling or mega stress - all good things! :) Having planned a wedding once before and been through what's involved - and seen others go through it - I'd have to say that there's very few things in life that are quite as traumatic for so little result.

Mr & Mrs Skid, if you PM me your email addy, I'll send you a handy PDF with all the details! I'd post it here but I don't think you can post attachments?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 08:38AM by xmorpheus.

Anyone been to.....New York (Manhattan), Las Vegas, Orlando?
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 06:55PM

The only thing I know of in Orlando, FL is Disney World (presuming that you don't mean some other Orlando of which I was not previously aware)...

Well, that should make for an interesting honeymoon-
good luck with the Vegas wedding!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: October 20, 2007 12:24PM

Divorcees can't marry in a church?
Who's bloody stupid rule is that?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range81-159.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 20, 2007 01:35PM

A very nice restaurant in NYC is One if by Land, Two if by Sea...I think it is in the Village, but can't remember exactly. It is quite posh, but then so is a lot of good class dining in NYC. I have been there twice and not been disappointed.

Slightly less posh, but very nice is [www.redeyegrill.com]

NYC is one of my favourite cities, I think the best thing is just to walk round and feel the vibe of the place, it's just so sparky. And you MUST have a diner breakfast, they are generally superb.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 21, 2007 08:48AM

Bonzai Kitten: I think it might be something to do Catholicism. But I do not know.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: October 21, 2007 01:11PM

Hmm...
Stupid rule.

Date: October 22, 2007 08:50AM

mmmm liking the dancing shrimp bar!!!! :)

BK, it's a Christian thing - not just the Catholics. I thinks some of the other Christian churches allow it now, but it's fairly recent. An example would be the Church of England - Edward VIII had to abdicate to marry Mrs. Simpson because she was a divorcee - and as the King of England is also the head of the English church, he simply could NOT marry her. I think they've relaxed the rules since then, but only in the last 20 years or so.

If you want to get married again in a church, previous spouse either has to be dead or you have to get an anulment.

It's been canon law for about 2000 years now and in fairness to them, it's not like they don't tell you in advance.

Since I'm not really that religious - and since I only got married in a church last time to keep my family happy - it's not really a major problem for me.

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: October 22, 2007 09:46AM

I was going to use the same example, but about Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles, since they married in a register office but then had a blessing service or something, so I think the rules have been relaxed for most people, but not for potential Heads of the Church.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: October 22, 2007 04:02PM

I really ought to know all that, what with having been brought up catholic (sorry, sorry, sorry!) and going to a raving right-wing Christian* school- although with my pick'n'mix attitude to philosophy, I can see why I overlooked it.

*The sort that makes all the others look bad

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 23, 2007 08:22AM

Pick and mix philosophy? Fun....

I'll have some of the belief in a deity, but go light on the Kantian ethics type thing?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.