New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ffrench people have a soul, too, and they deserve better
Posted by: Mateo (---.w90-13.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: October 15, 2007 08:15PM

Hello, everyone !

My name is Mateo (it's just a nick), I'm 22 and I'm here today to represent a small group of Ffrench Fforde Ffans and to gather other Ffrench Ffans (if a topic like this one has already been created, please send me the link and let me leave without beating on my head too hard).

I could begin by "Oh la la, Monsieur Fforde est un très bon écrivain, j'adore ses livres, ils me font rire et rêver en même temps", but that's too of an arse-licking, so, I will go straight to the point.

With "First among sequels", that's seven books from Jasper Fforde. In France, only three have been translated (TN 1, 2 and 3), and, more than that, they are pretty bad (translations, not books). It's due to the fact that many bits of the book can't be translated in french (like the hilarious "had had that that" bit in WOLP). And when you google it, there's absolutely nothing on the Internet about Fforde in french (except Amazon).
And that's why the books are hardly known in France : because French version doesn't do justice to Mr Fforde's imagination and most of French people aren't enough open-minded to read in english (yeah, most of french people suck...)

SO, Monsieur Fforde, I speak directly to you (if somebody could pass the message) : we are a little team of 4 or 5 highly motivated people and we wanted to know how we could get the rights to translate the entire jasperfforde.com in order to have a french website in order to gather more french fans in order to make the books more widely known (I'm not sure about the syntax of this sentence), because Thursday Next is worthy to be - at least - as successfully known as Harry Potter.

Thank you all for lis... for reading and sory aboutt the spaling mysstakes.

Have a nice day/night/hour/evening/meal/cow

Mateo

-----------
La Saladophagie est un crime.
Eating lettuce is a crime.

Re: Ffrench people have a soul, too, and they deserve better
Posted by: Shakespeare (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2007 03:14AM

vouoaefhnbtotboinbd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2007 05:25PM by Shakespeare.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: October 16, 2007 02:22PM

Hi Mateo & unnamed friends, welcome! Could you just wait until we have hidden the lettuce pie under the table?

No reason to contact his editor, I'd say. If you use his personal EMail adress jasper at jasperfforde dot com, he tends to react promptly.

Interesting though that you deem the translations bad. We once had a french fforumite around who said at least L'affaire Eyre was quite good. Someone remember her name?

And now...a very special greeting to Shakespeare! Hey, what happened? And whom are you calling a brute?

Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: October 16, 2007 02:48PM

He must be talking about the people who eat their supper off the floor, I think. I'm only brutish when paid lavishly to be. All commissions welcome, natch.

Mateo, welcome, great idea, and PrinzHilde's right - emailing Mr Ff will get him and be far quicker than contacting his editor - if you want translation rights I imagine you'll have to go through his agent, but Mr Ff will at least give you an idea of whether the whole thing's workable. I have a nasty feeling the people who published the first three books in French will probably have an option on translating the others, though. Hope not, for your sake...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 16, 2007 06:58PM

Welcome Mateo. Help yourself to pie.

Posted by: Mateo (---.w90-6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: October 16, 2007 08:02PM

Okay, french translations aren't "that" bad (comparing to others), but they're just incomplete... And I really don't like french point of view on foreign names. For example, Jack Shitt is called Jack Mairdd, Akrid Snell becomes Sassan LeRoussi, and in Star wars ("la guerre des étoiles"), Chewbacca is re-christened Chictabac. And, worst of all, in the world of computers, a bug is "un bogue" and an e-mail is "un courriel" or "un imèle"...

By the way, I just found out that TN4 will be published in france soon. French title : "Sauvez Hamlet"... herm... it must have a link to the killer whale Willy...

Anyway, I will write to M. Fforde directly, it's just that I didn't found his Email adress.
Thank you all for your answers and advices ! Except you over there, you filthy little lettucannibal - beware, one day, lettuces will grow up extra arms and legs and conquer the world, and they will first kill lettuce eaters, they will pick them up, wash them, tear off their limbs one by one and mix them up with vinaigrette...

Gotta go, time for my pills...

-----------
La Saladophagie est un crime.
Eating lettuce is a crime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2007 08:06PM by Mateo.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 16, 2007 08:15PM

Your English is not bad. Better than my non-existent French at any rate....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: October 17, 2007 05:17AM

I'd hate to meet a French lettuce! Wow!

Posted by: Lymond (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: October 17, 2007 08:34AM

"...carrot juice is murder..."?

Posted by: Mateo (---.w193-251.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: October 17, 2007 09:49AM

No, carrots are dumb since they lost WW2 (Wegetable War 2) against the AVAC (Anti Vitamin A Cell), so eating a carrot is simply help given to lettuces.

Date: October 17, 2007 12:51PM

This reminds me of a short film of grocery wars, script of star wars, with vegetables and groceries. Luke Skywalker was a cucumber, and we all know they expolde very easily...

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 17, 2007 06:48PM

Oooo.... Sounds like fun....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: October 18, 2007 12:27AM

Princess Leia Oregano?
Buck Rogers as Buck Choy?
Dustin Hoffman starring in "Lentil"? *

Sounds like we have a game brewing up here.

*"Yentyl", for you youngsters who may not be Hoffman literate.

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 18, 2007 12:48AM

Leek Marvin in 'The Big Red Onion'

Date: October 18, 2007 06:14AM

It should be online somewhere, I got sent a like a couple of years ago, a little search may result in fruit!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: October 18, 2007 02:17PM

Mateo,

Welcome to the fforums. Glad to have a different cultural view to share.

What is your opinion on Battenberg Cake?

In regard to translations from English to French don't worry. Somewhere among my papers I have a cutting from a newspaper informing the world that LOTR had been acceptably translated to French language. It took the translating group seventeen years to get an acceptable product, and Tolkien is technical English in comparison to the word plays in Fforde, Pratchett, Rankin R, and probably Milligan. (Is there a French language version of Puckoon in existence?)

As a small point of wonder: what is the French language equivalent of 'Feng Shui'? And is there a cultural equivalent?

Not that it matters in the land downunder, where the evil spirits fly from the thunder box to the front door, usually stopping for a few terms in Canberra.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: October 19, 2007 12:24AM

Since the English equivalent of 'Feng Shui' is 'Feng Shui' I should imagine that the French would be the same. Although the French reputably get hot under the collar about polluting their language by using foreign terms, so maybe they have to use a more... ahem... circuitous expression.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: October 19, 2007 12:25AM

Of course if you say it with an accent, it make it sound French yes?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: October 20, 2007 02:02PM

I feel very ignorant. I can barely comprehend one language, let alone others.

<Hangs badly educated head in shame>

Date: October 22, 2007 02:41AM

pats BK's back in commiseration
Cest la...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.