New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: A suggestion for improvements to the existing Footnoterphone system
Posted by: nemades (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 28, 2007 03:31PM

Sorry, you were right to assume it is a chocolate (thank you Skids for your excellent link, I am now drooling and seriously t=contemplating venturing out into the awful weather for a Wispa)
I was gutted when they stopped Wispas - I like Dairy Milk but a Dairy Milk Bubbly is just NOT a wispa, it is nice to see a company admit the error of their ways although a little ickle cynical paret of me could think that this was the marketing plan all along....

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 03, 2007 11:58AM

I like the idea of the shelvofone.

Notwithstanding (15letters - beat that) the potential for criminal and/or neurotic minds like Telstra getting involved it means that we can eliminate problems brought to notice in other streams, namely, that of time. If one purchased a book at Heathrow, for example, and read it until landing in Perth (WA, again for example) when one placed it in the home library the shelvofone technology would reset the times to local time.

This would prevent confusion as the books moved around the world. Of course, if you went all the way east to west the book could lose a day, but would be reset when reshelved.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: November 03, 2007 03:47PM

Hmmm…that's very handy. Also, books could automatically download and install their own updates through the shelvofone, without any of this "ground the book by touching it with a dictionary" nonsense.

Date: November 03, 2007 04:17PM

Another thought,

Where a first edition needs revision the amendments could be sent out to the shelvofone master transmitter and within a day or so all texts would be updated.

This would eliminate the historical curiosities of the editions with memorable erors, like the Bible with the commandment

'thou shalt commit adultery'

or whatever it was. (I missed it on the rerun of the Adventure of English coz I woz wathching Spicks and Specks).

Of course this could be overcome by removing the shelvofone tag from the interesting books.

But for the trivial errors it would make life much easier. For instance I could get page 62 of 'The Saint meets the Tiger' with such technology.

Date: November 05, 2007 02:29AM

nemades,

So you like 'Pride and Prejudice'.

My wife doesn't understand fforde/pratchett/rankin, etc. My daughter does.

But they both like P&P. Should you ever make it to Adelaide there is a safe spot for you for a while as they will both watch it at the slightest suggestion.

Does anyone else have a movie they watch for a zillion times? Mine was original Fantasia when it was at the cinema in the pre DVD era.

Posted by: The Cookster (217.154.169.---)
Date: November 05, 2007 09:26AM

A couple of films spring immediately to mind:

"This is Spinal Tap" and "A Knight's Tale" - oh, and "The Godfather" films, which are obviously true classics!

A suggestion for improvements to the existing Footnoterphone system
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 12:03PM

Hmmm, movie I've watched repeatedly...

Haven't actually seen it in years, but used to watch UP IN SMOKE all the time-
perhaps I've said too much...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.109.---)
Date: November 05, 2007 01:42PM

*snork*

Shadow of the Vampire, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, El Mariachi (whole trilogy), Back to the future, and now, Nightwatch.

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 05, 2007 11:34PM

hmmm, well, films that I could at some point in time and probably still now talk along with would be Star Wars IV - VI (I had to explaing why Empire was episode V yesterday to my neighbour), Pride and Prejudice, Ella Enchanted, I was a Male War Bride, Anastacia, Little Mermaid, Beauty and thr Beast, Lion King, 2 Weeks Notice and various other little gems.

bunyip - thats great to know thanks! It would be good to know that so far away from home I would still be able to get a fix of Darcy!

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 06, 2007 12:22AM

Good question but so hard to separate what is a 'favorite' from 'what I will stop and watch any time it is on' or 'what I can quote all the way through'... that said, here are some ... The Princess Bride, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man, Aliens, Sleeping Beauty....and at Christmas time, Die Hard.

I could go on for days.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 06, 2007 02:15AM

Nightwatch, what was that one about? I assume you are talking about a movie?

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: November 06, 2007 01:22PM

BK may be referring to the Russian Fantasy/ Scifi type movie, with vampires, magic, and really quite cool use of subtitles.

So many films I need to watch/ re watch.

Princess Bride, Labyrinth, Dogma for me, thanks.
Not many classics, I know. They're somewhere in my "need to watch this" list. Unfortunately, with everything I need to watch and read and do, I'm probably booked up until I retire

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 06, 2007 05:31PM

On that note, here is a book I put on my Christmas list...

[search.barnesandnoble.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2007 05:40PM by OC Not.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.109.---)
Date: November 07, 2007 09:08AM

Thats the one, Andy. And man was it worth the twelve bucks for the dvd! Gotta go to cinema europa to see daywatch now!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 08, 2007 05:10AM

So I take it is worth watching (Nightwatch)? I need some new titles to watch! Seeing as I rarely turn on the TV I rely on a decent movie here and now!
I like non-English speaking films, I find subtitles comforting? I do love The Science of Sleep - that Young South American Actor is gorgeous!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: November 08, 2007 01:27PM

I'll lend you nightwatch when we catch up. And I'll return those books. :) The subtitles really distract from the way the film is shot, so if you watch it with them switched on, do watch it again without them.

Date: November 09, 2007 02:34AM

Totally against the run of things.

In this house as a family we watch Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, The Chiltern Hundreds*, Good Morning Boys**, the Leslie Neilsen Police Acadamy derivatives, and parodies like Fatal Instinct and Loaded Weapon.

The distaff side watch all kinds of things like P&P, Emma, The American President, Mad About Men, etc. as well.

* The Chiltern Hundreds was made in 1952 I think and is about the 1948 general election in the UK. Stars a very young David Tomlinson and an actor by the name of A E Matthews. If you like quirky well made films with that 1940/50 English twist this is a must. Funny story and excellent characterisation. In Oz the ABC often shows it in those after midnight B&W film screenings.

** With Will Hay. Dates from 1930's. Contains the interlude where an inspector asks a student: 'Name five African animals.' and gets the response: ' An elephant and four lions.' Denis Norden once said that he and Frank Muir had been engaged to do an updated version but they rewatched the film and turned the commission down on the basis that they could not have made a material improvement to the script. Again , in Oz, sometimes shown by the ABC after midnight.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 09, 2007 08:21AM

I love Will Hay there is just something about the delivery - "How Hi is a Chinaman" - also from Goodmorning Boys. There is also a very young look Charles Hawtrey of Carry On .... fame.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.