New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Under the Influence
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.81.29.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 20, 2007 09:49PM

Has your reading/movie watching habits been influenced by reading Fforde?

I am now starting to watch and read Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett rocks!) for the first time.

I knew nothing about the series so when I found out that Sherlock's brother really is named Mycroft I realised I should read more often (That joke would have been that much better if I had read Holmes before Thursday Next)

And that bit about the "new" Eyre ending being the real one has gotten me interested in Jane Eyre (i've gotten the BBC version but not watched it yet) And I've checked out the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet from the Library......guess why :)

Under the Influence
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 21, 2007 03:26AM

He's the reason I finally broke down & read WATERSHIP DOWN-
had to know what was up with all the rabbits!

Found a copy of a Jane Eyre movie at the dollar store-
haven't watched mine either, so hard to just sit down & watch a whole movie...

My dad's a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, so I was quite familiar with that through the old movies-
has anybody else read SCHLOCK HOLMES, the spoof book?

I found it at the library but haven't heard of it anywhere else-
worth reading it for the comment on bee farming alone...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Re: Under the Influence
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 21, 2007 08:53AM

For Anton, I recommend the Branagh Hamlet, but if you don't like sitting down and watching a whole movie, this one may not suit you, Z, 'coz it is a magnificent 4 hours long.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range81-159.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 21, 2007 10:45AM

I think the recent Beeb Jane Eyre series was fab, and very true to the book, although I would have preferred to see a bit more of Jane's childhood, I felt it was kind of skirted over. So I would definitely recommend that if you wanted to watch a screen version of it. But you should read the book, it is probably the most accessible Bronte novel. And on from that, read 'Wide Sargasso Sea' by Jean Rhys, another recent Beeb series, and another fantastic book - it's about the life of Mr Rochester as a young man in the Caribbean. I think it is mentioned in The Well of Lost Plots.

And have you read Great Expectations, Anton...has Miss Havisham wetted your appetite for Dickensian melodrama?? It's one of my favourite books, I'm glad Jasper Fforde got to redeem her a little bit.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: October 21, 2007 01:17PM

I read kafka because of the Double Consonantly One.
It was weirder even than he made it seem!

Posted by: Mateo (---.w90-26.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: October 22, 2007 12:27AM

Try reading "Great Expextations" by Dickens just after reading Fforde's books : you'll see Miss Havisham with a very different look !

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 07:53PM

I borrowed my mother's copy of Fairie Queene to see if it was really Top Ten Boring. Yep, it qualified.

Under the Influence
Date: October 23, 2007 08:42PM

I was forced to read Fairie Queene in college, thereby developing a lifelong loathing of its perpetrator-
the reason kids say reading boring is because of stuff like that...

Think I'll skip the Hamlet movie, sounds a bit like a leviathon to me- but speaking of movies:

Has anybody else been reminded of Wayne's World while reading the TN books?

I mean, so far Alice Cooper hasn't shown up, but you never know-
after all, he did manage to Rocky Horror Richard III..

Which leads to my next point:
Fforde has whetted an appetite for all things Shakespeare-
almost enough to make me forget that unfortunate bus crash in high school on the way to see MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING-
pretty ironic title, considering how the day went...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: October 24, 2007 04:05AM

I read Pride and Prejudice after reading Jasper (and Emma).
I actually meant to read Jane Eyre- still have not!

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: October 25, 2007 05:55AM

I think I am one of the few people in the world who has read all of Varney the Vampire.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: October 27, 2007 07:14AM

lol. Well done Robert.

Bottersnikes and Gumbles, anyone? LOVED those books!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.85.252.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 27, 2007 03:19PM

This is kinda anti-climatic, after that post I just plain forgot about Jane Eyre and Hamlet.

I did have an excuse, I managed to get half-way through Star Wars: Death Star (been waiting for it since may) and finish The Fourth Bear, Going Postal,Equal Rites, and The Last Hero instead!

Sadly "The Fourth Bear" was the last Jasper Fforde book that I had not read......

No more Fforde.....

<quickly walks away muttering "I said I wouldnt cry">

Posted by: nettie63 (89.241.174.---)
Date: October 27, 2007 05:17PM

I have to say Jasper has done something for me no other man could, including my husband! He has actually fostered in me a love of fantasy. Since first reading The Eyre Affair (and I only bought it for the Jane Eyre connection-as I'm a literary Classics anorak) I've tried all the other popular fantasy writers eg Pratchett, Tom Holt, etc but none of them do it for me.
My other half, who is a sci-fi and fantasy addict, just cannot understand how Jasper manages to reach parts of me that other authors can't!!!
TTFN

Date: October 28, 2007 08:51AM

A lot of fantasy leaves me cold, I must admit. Someone recommended I read 'Chocolate Hollow Bunnies of the Apocalypse' (have I got the title right?) after I was enthusing about Fforde...but it didn't really do it for me. I was thinking that the difference I get from the Thursday Next novels is a feeling of 'warmth' that I don't get from lots of other modern writers.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: October 28, 2007 01:11PM

That was probably me (hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse). I sometimes forget that people can have different tastes to mine.

Date: October 28, 2007 05:43PM

No it wasn't you 'kitten, it was a friend of mine last year...I did read it, but I didn't think it was as good as JF.

Posted by: nettie63 (89.241.174.---)
Date: October 28, 2007 11:05PM

Mrs Majolica

You are absolutely right! I never thought about it before but it is that warm fuzzy feeling you get in the Nextian universe that sets JFf apart from other fantasy writers. How astute!

Having said that my hubbie swears there's nothing to chose between Jasper and Pratchett,and I've tried, I really have, because everybody raves about TP, but I just dont get the warmth.It feels like he tries to be too querky and clever, and I can't fall in love with his characters like I do with Pickwick,Spike (poor,lonely Spike),Commander and Mrs Bradshaw etc.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: October 29, 2007 03:16AM

Bottersnkes! heeehee, I read one of those only two ago (read them when I was small).

I do agree that Jasper's books and characters have something wonderful about them, I like Terry Pratchett, but Jasper has that perfect random unexpectedness about his work. You can never guess what will happen and they are not repeats of themselves.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 29, 2007 09:35AM

With some of the early Pratchett's there was a unexpectedness - is that a word?? Some really do come across a maybe TP trying to hard, but lately he seems to have got his Mojo back. But you are right you do have a reasonable idea of where it is all going to end-up, but the twists and references in between are fun! JFf keeps you guessing all the time - and I like Swindon.

Under the Influence
Date: October 29, 2007 10:01AM

Ah, expect the unexpected- love it!

If you like to be kept guessing, then look for anything by John Varley-
you'll find him listed as sci-fi, but he really has stories set in his own universe (that is to say, colonized solar system)...

I always said I love to read books with unexpected twists or funny books-
of course, humor has a way of knocking you off-balance anyway...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.