New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Illegal Cheese
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2007 04:22PM

Reading this was like I was reading a Swindon news site!:

California Police Seize 375 Pounds Of Bathtub Cheese

A Southern California couple is facing criminal charges after allegedly being caught with 375 pounds of “bathtub” cheese at an open-air market in San Bernardino County, the California Department of Food and Agriculture says.

The illegal soft cheese products are known to cause serious illness such as listeria, salmonella or E. coli.

Floribel Hernandez Cuenca, 29, and Manuel Martin Sanchez Garrido, 44, of Montclair, were arrested for selling a variety of unlicensed cheeses to the public. Ms. Cuenca was also arrested on felony cheese making charges.

The 375 pounds of seized illegal cheese included panela, queso fresco and queso oxaca varieties, the CDFA says. It was a significant find, the department says.

“Illegally produced is cheese is serious threat to public health,” says CDFA Secretary A.G. Kawamura.
[www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com]

Re: Illegal Cheese
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: October 27, 2007 11:44PM

And Jasper predicts the future yet again!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range81-159.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 28, 2007 09:00AM

Apologies to the US FM's, but whenever I've been there seems to be only two types of cheese available 'Swiss' and I can't remember the other one???

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2007 09:38AM

Cheddar!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: October 28, 2007 01:16PM

Flavoured-Yellow-McPlastic-Pressed-into-Flat-Squares-and-Wrapped-with-More-Plastic(TM) like we have in Oz? (NOTHING better for a guilt-ridden cheese toasty)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range81-159.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 28, 2007 05:46PM

True, for cheese on toast etc the rubberiest cheese is the best.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: October 29, 2007 03:11AM

I never knew that stuff was meant to be cheese Kitten! I thought it was a strange new plastic sandwich fettish

Illegal Cheese
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 29, 2007 06:47AM

I thought that was "cheese food"-
how edible can it be if you have to annouce that it's food on the label?

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: October 29, 2007 09:22AM

Velveeta and anything that has "cheez" on the label.

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 30, 2007 05:21PM

My dad gets something at Costco called "Irish Cheese" it is deee-licious but I have not yet looked at the label to confirm the origin!

Date: October 31, 2007 02:06AM

I am amazed at how some things are considered to be food!

Fluro coloured things should not be eaten!! Especially chemical residues like cordials...

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: October 31, 2007 05:08AM

And another thing!
Why don't photographers get you to say "Cheese" anymore?

Nowadays it's all, "Say, 'Holidays!'" or some such rubbish. "Holidays" has some perfectly horrendous mouth movements in it - catch everybody in the first syllable and you've got a group of goldfish sucking air - whereas the whole of "cheese" requires a smile-like mouth movement.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: October 31, 2007 06:23AM

I once had a panoramic photograph taken of a very large group that I was with, using a special (truly panoramic) camera that would pan slowly across the group. Since this took considerably more time than an ordinary photo, they told us to say "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and hold it until the shot was done. (There were also some kids on the starting end got to duck down and run behind the group over to the other end, so they appeared in the photo twice.)

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2007 07:40AM

No way!

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: October 31, 2007 10:30PM

MS's story about the kids running to the other end of the photo reminded me of this -
if the poulation of China paraded past you, walking eight abreast, the parade would never end because of the birth rate. Or, if you like, the first row of eight would be back in China and there would still be people in the marshalling area, waiting to start.

Date: November 01, 2007 04:00AM

Sounds really cool! I've never heard of a photo like that before...

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 01, 2007 04:51AM

Back to Cheese:

My father liked Blue Vein cheese.

I am of the opinion that anything with a life of its own should be put down before being eaten..... as these things gave me a fear of being sabotaged from within and eventually discovering that my internals had been converted to a cheese byproduct which would eventually take over Australia if not the world.

I never considered these things to be suitable food for a civilised race, let alone Australians.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: November 01, 2007 08:16AM

Urgh. Sock cheese. All my family bar me adore it.
The worst bit is, you can smell it coming out of their skin the next day!

Actually, when I didn't eat dairy foods, I could smell it when other people had the same way (like with garlic). Now that I do have dairy foods, I can't. I must smell like milk now too!

Weird, no?

Date: November 03, 2007 03:11AM

Yes, I know! I don't have very much dairy at all, no milk, hate cream & butter. Eat mini amount of cheese or yogurt from time to time, very rare these days. You can definitely smell it on people- weird and people don't believe you!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 03, 2007 10:53AM

Obviously some of our fforumites, such as the two preceding entries, are of such pure disposition that milk and milk products may be smelled as emanating from them.

Do you mean you wash as well?

How do go with a good garlicy lasagne?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.