New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why no Dizzies in the Nextian Universe? FFestival access?
Posted by: nettie63 (89.241.174.---)
Date: November 04, 2007 09:42AM

NO offence to any amputees out there but, to me at least, losing a leg after enjoying your young years whole, and then voluntarily putting yourself in a situation that might result in disability, as Landen did, is nowhere near the same as being born with profound mobility problems which seem particularly insurmountable in puberty, when all your mates are out dancing the night away and chasing boys, is not the same at all.
I once had a friend tell a boy I fancied him, whilst I hid round a corner to listen. His reply? He laughed his socks off and said "What should I do? Break a leg or somethin? How can you dance with THAT thing? (The rest is unrepeatable).
Then there's having people (not all but most) talk to you as though you only had half a brain, most amputees I know dont get treated with the irritating sympathy and head-patting that I do.
Having said that it is getting better...

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: November 04, 2007 07:25PM

True, and I didn't mean to imply anything…
I can understand about being treated like you have half a brain (although I remember reading in psych class about a girl who had half her brain removed as a child and still developing completely without a problem…) My roommate last year has a sister who's in a wheelchair, and she always gets treated differently when she comes to visit, which drives her nuts (and us too).

Date: November 04, 2007 11:20PM

Dont worry musesusan, I'm actually very thick skinned and very little irks me these days. My husband has given me so much self confidence and self belief nothing really bothers me honest - no offence taken

Date: November 06, 2007 11:42PM

Hey guys have any of you been to the ffestival? If so is it accessible in general? (i dont want red carpets or anything)
Also OCNot you said yr cousin trains assistance dogs - where? Maybe I know her. My trainer Louise has trained both my dogs so I've known her for about 10 years now ,we're like mates. She's actually visiting tomorrow to check on my young one's progress, so I've been polishing up her skills

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 07, 2007 12:24AM

Hi Nettie my cousin is in Sonora, CA

Date: November 07, 2007 09:58AM

OOh then I definately havent met her!!! Its just that I thought "assistance dogs" was a UK phrase and you guys over the pond used "service dogs" instead - my bad.
Annyhoo, tell her to keep up the good work!

Posted by: Mrs Next (---.bradford.gov.uk)
Date: November 07, 2007 11:19AM

The next ffestival is in a different hotel than last time, so anything I say about access would be completely irrelevant! Ptols, are you out there?

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 11, 2007 12:58AM

Just musing on the topic of lack of wheelies and I got the thought that perhaps a motivated wheelie has too many overtones of Daleks.

Many of the wheelies I know would happily subscribe to the chant 'Exterminate! Exterminate!' in relation to some/many/all the bipedal population.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 11, 2007 08:00AM

Hi Nettie,

I am still concerned about you making your husband share the dog bog with your labs, but, I suppose that is how things are done in Wales these days.

Has anyone offered you pies, cake, tea and other refreshments yet? As there are about a thousand unread messages since I was last here, forgive me if the usual greetings have happened in a different thread.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.