New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Brand new Granddaughter - not called Thursday
Posted by: nettie63 (89.241.174.---)
Date: October 29, 2007 03:37PM

Hello !
I'm a granny again (3rd time)!!! Esme Haf (pronounced Hav and Welsh for "summer") arrived at 7.15 this morning. Mother and I both shattered. Dad and Grandad almost comatose)

Most disappointed they wouldnt call her Thursday (or even Monday). My daughter is thinking of having me committed for even suggesting it. Pooh..
Love and cigars to all

Re: Brand new Granddaughter - not called Thursday
Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: October 29, 2007 04:21PM

Many congratulations!!!

I'm not sure about the age requirements for deed polls, but you could start working on her now so that on or around her sixteenth birthday she'll change her own name to Thursday. :)

I had an unanticipated hospital stay before my daughter was born, so hubby brought in all the JF books when I asked him to bring me something I loved to read. I managed to get through all the TN books before she was born the very next Thursday but I also met with resistance to using Thursday as a namesake. She (daughter, not Thursday) shares a birthday with Sarah Michelle Gellar, which was also pretty good planning on my part, but it transpired that it wasn't Buffy's name which attracted my husband to the show.

Enjoy grandmotherhood and best of luck to the parents and new arrival!

Posted by: nemades (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 08:56PM

Congratulations! Esme is a lovely name, best wishes!

Date: October 29, 2007 09:26PM

Thanks nemades.
I guess if I couldnt have Thursday Esme is as good as it gets. My other two are Aden Huw (aged 4) and Hazel Mari (18months), and I adore them all. Aden esp likes to ride shotgun on my leccie wheelchair, and we bomb around the town causing meyhem, (rather like the minatour but not as vicious). My (very proper) daughter wonders just how long it will be before we get arrested for causing an affray!
Went to visit them tonight and within ten mins Aden and I were becoming so rowdy I got threatened with the naughty corner.
Can't wait till I can introduce him to Thursday and the gang, for now its Spongebob and Fraggle Rock.
Adios

Posted by: nemades (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 11:08PM

Tee hee, sounds great! Well I am a teacher and therefore supposedly 'sensible' but I can't resist skooting about on the furniature trolleys in Ikea (the aisles ar sooo wide, its just tooo tempting) so I am very jealous of the fun you two get to have!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: October 30, 2007 03:04AM

Teachers can have fun!!!

Esme, nice name- like the shortened version of Esmerelda Weatherwax.

Thursday would make a good girls name, I agree! But then I wanted to called my sister something ghastly like Lavender Eucalyptus once (many many years ago!!!)

Date: October 30, 2007 02:37PM

That would make a great non-de-plume Bibwithart! Can I use it? The Lavender Eucalyptus I mean, not granny Weatherwax. My hubbie calls me Granny Greenteeth! (And no, I do NOT have green teeth, theyre a nice cinnamon colour!!!) JUst kidding - visited my HUngarian dentist just this morning who pronounced my ocularly healthy (hmm...not sure about that word but it looks good)

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: October 31, 2007 01:59AM

Damn, you have reminded me, I should see a dentist....

Sure thing! You can have it, I do not mind at all ^_^

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 01, 2007 05:41AM

Congratulations Nettie63 on granddaughter.

My knowledge of Welsh is slight - Cardiff Arms, rugby, beer, Cilcenin.

Why didn't you compromise and have the Welsh for 'Thursday' as part of the name?

One wonders at the reaction of Father and grandfather though. Were they expecting a reincarnation of JPR Willaims or such?

Date: November 01, 2007 06:56PM

DOn't think they'd have bought the Welsh Thursday (which I think is Iau?) my Welsh son-in-law would have seen through it in a flash!

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 01, 2007 11:32PM

Ah, drat! Well surely that if infinitely prefferable to the Pocahontas that lives in a town near me or the baby called Ikea a couple of years back? I actually quite like the sound of Ikea but it would just be rather cruel for the poor child!

Posted by: The Cookster (217.154.169.---)
Date: November 02, 2007 09:27AM

A bloke called Ikea took over as manager of our local football club. He immediately dumped the idea of using a sweeper system in defence and adopted a flat pack four.

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 02, 2007 09:51PM

<rolls eyes>

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.109.---)
Date: November 05, 2007 12:45PM

I'd worry about a dentist that said my eyes were fine!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 13, 2007 11:15PM

Dontologically fine?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.