New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Are you a folder or a marker?
Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 10, 2007 11:00AM

Re bookcases etc:

I used to keep mine by author, even if I had to keep oversized ones on another shelf.

That's the problem when you buy paperbacks and someone gives you a hardcover. The page size difference means either wasting a lot of space over the paperbacks, or having at least two locations for an author.

The other option is to store the oversized ones on their sides at the start/end of the shelf and remember they are there. This usually works only when you are the only person accessing the books.

I have designed a compactus for our next house so all the paperbacks, etc., for the books in which I am interested can be kept from the marauding hordes who would destry a collection because they have no appreciation of the value of a 'collection'. It is also the only way to store such books as 'Bored of the Rings'* and "Hello Sailor'** which must rate as the two most stolen books I have ever purchased and repurchased and repurchased etc.

* - by Harvard Lampoon. Contains the lovely line in the section 'About Boggies' wherein it states that: 'boggies are related to humans along the line that leads from rats to wolverines and eventually to Italians'.

** - by Eric Idle. Only 30,000 were printed. I must have bought about 5000 of them and they have all disappeared. Even the one I thought locked up while I was overseas. Now I can't find a copy - not that I've bothered to look much these days.

All the technical books such as language, technical dictionaries, etc are in public view for the only other person who bothers with them is my daughter who has my sense of humour.

Are you a folder or a marker?
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 10, 2007 10:13PM

Sounds like you need to put rat traps in your bookcase...

I don't loan books, bad things happen if I do- like floods, being kicked out of homes, etc.-
I just give lots of books as presents & warn my friends that there's a curse if they borrow books from my collection...

I have books in cases, books in crates, books in the bathroom, books in the kitchen, books on top of the copier, books in random stacks on furniture-
there may even be some hiding in the beanbag, haven't looked in a while...

You can stack them both vertically & horizontally in cases to maximize your space, you'll eventually realize that you live in a book warehouse...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 11, 2007 03:56PM

Bored of the Rings = dusky Elf maidens and I've only lost two or three copies

Cosmic Banditos = handgrenades in E Flat, flying at treetop height (because it's safer) and getting South American banditos to steal a library. I have lost at least 10 copies of that one!

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 14, 2007 11:25PM

Can I get one of those 10 copies? I'll pay the shipping costs!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 14, 2007 11:46PM

I lie books on the edge of tables. But this is only a book that will not fall. My reasoning is that a 90 degree angle is less likely to damage the book, and it only stays like that for the night usually.

Otherwise, I remember page numbers.

I need more books before I worry about how they are ordered. I have read a lot, but do not own many books.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2007 11:49PM by MartinB.

Date: November 15, 2007 12:49PM

AAs yyou ffellow fforumites aare aaware yyou aare ssuch aa wwell rread eerudite ccharismatic bbeautiful/hhandsome (oown cchoice) ppeople tthat II hhave bbegun aa ffile oon mmy ccomputer tto sstore tthe rrecommendations.

EEffects oof dduplication iis ccaused bby ddistaff sside oof ffamily pplaying Ppride aand Pprejudice aagain. IIt mmust bbe aafecting tthe ccats aas wwel aas tthe ooldest BBirman iis nnow eeating tthe hhall mmat.

Date: November 16, 2007 12:33AM

Grrrrreat idea bun! Another thing I can do at work to avoid work!

Back on topic --

I do have 6-10 books that are old enough to have the neat-o satiny ribbons stitched into the spine. Those are cool.

Date: November 16, 2007 06:35AM

I have some of those as well, but having cats means that anything dangly gets investigated by claws and teeth and eventually becomes reduced to threads. (Eventually ranges from immediately until they find where the book is hidden.)

Needless to say we do not practice nudity at home.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: November 16, 2007 09:42AM

Does nudity require practice? I would have thought it was pretty innate. But then I guess you'd need to train to dodge cats.

Date: November 16, 2007 11:27PM

I think it does require practice. I mean like just walking around the house nude nudity. I would feel weird doing that.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 17, 2007 02:40AM

I would say you need to practice. Otherwise you could end up blushing at a very bad time....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 08:57AM

Yeh. Or bleeding out.

<cowers>

Date: November 17, 2007 09:20AM

OC Not Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can I get one of those 10 copies? I'll pay the
> shipping costs!

Certainly! As they are lost, though, you will need to find them. Find more than one of my missing copies and I will ship one to you free, gratis and for nothing!

(Seriously, though, it is well worth reading, if a little strange. He later released a book which explains that it is not exactly fiction.........)

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 09:30AM

Darn you Skids and your missing copies! Aren't you glad it's the weekend? How's the commute? Wearing (not) well?

Date: November 17, 2007 09:38AM

The commute is quite bearable, thanks for asking. It is only 75-90 minutes each way, unless the other commuters have decided to play dodgemsor the councils have started to build a ditch across one of the motorways, when it can become 2-3 hours.

All in all, it is a lot better than I feared and than many people suffer, but it does cut into Fforum time. As part of my job is to prevent people using the internet for non-business use, I can't really read the Fforum at work............

Date: November 17, 2007 11:11AM

O, but you must.

You have to keep track of examples of what people are doing in misusing the network.

As for practicing nudity, it is a sense of self. One can be naked, which is unclothed, unprotected, but it requires saviour faire and self awareness to be nude.

However the cats have not progressed to that point where I can explain it to them so if it dangles its fair game.

We don't have inside Christmas tree lights for the same reason. Our Birmans have each and every one of them bitten through the telephone cord, even when I have been speaking, and only when they grow up a little do we feel halfway safe in leaving power cords plugged in.

Date: November 17, 2007 03:22PM

It is easy to examples of what people are doing to misuse the network by tracking the websites and user i.d.s Visiting the Fforum would just put me on the list and then I would have to report myself to myself and take the appropriate action.

Date: November 17, 2007 03:47PM

In 'Black Cinderella 11 Goes East'* Richard Murdoch sings a song about trying to defraud the tax system when he is in charge of the Treasury. You appear to be in the same predicament.

*Black Cinderella 11 Goes East' was a radio production circa 1980 which involved many people from the Cambridge Footlights productions. If memory <little orange pills for comedy> serves me right it included Richard Baker as narrator, Richard Murdoch, Peter Cook as Prince Disgusting, John Cleese, Tim Brooke Taylor, Jo Kendall, Bill Oddie, Richard Pardoe (an MP or ex MP)and some others. The whole thing was a Christmas pantomime and included the lines by Jo Kendall: 'Darn the socks, stuff the turkey, and bugger the ironing!'. If you ever get the chance to hear it don't miss it. I've a very scccrrratchy cassette recording of it somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2007 03:47PM by bunyip.

Date: November 17, 2007 03:53PM

[www.britainexpress.com]

I remember it well!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.