New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Ever Have one of those days?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.83.168.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 01, 2007 11:49PM

You know what I mean, not a bad day, but one where everything seems to go right, I have had two in a row.

Yesterday started off with me discovering that Terry Pratchett's Hogfather is on DVD, I hit a 9 on the happy scale.

I cruised around ebay and decided that it was worth $50

I guess thats somewhere between 25 to 30 pounds, I wish I knew the exact exchange rate, I say I know alot* about Brits but ask me how much is a american dollar to a pound and I say "about double"

I was commited to spend almost half of the money I have saved away, and I was happy about it. I was sure that my Playstation3 would be able to handle a Region 2 DVD. To be sure I dug up the manual and found that it, in fact, cannot. ***

Desperate to find a loop-hole or a acceptable comprimise I got on the computer at 10.pm** and rooted around, It turns out that I found both, the loop-hole happened when I found an ad that explained that you can input a code on your DVD player, which I do not have but am considering getting one to take the heavy DVD load off of my playstation (or "Serenity" as I named the system)

I went through two PS2's because of it being my only DVD player.

I thought that was okay, I am now able to get the Hogfather DVD. But after I spent some time on Google and registered on the IMDB I found the acceptable comprimise!

There is a thread titled "US Release?" and at the very bottom the last post said (wording changed for dramtic effect)

"The US version will be out in 2008, but this Nov the 13th a Hogfather DVD will be released as a Borders book store exclusive." ****

YES!!!! Buh-bye ebay, Hello Borders!

Today, the second in row, has been even better.

Me, my mom, and my little sister (18 months. Named River)made a trip to town, making a stop at the post office at 8am.

I walked out with my very very good condition copy of The Star Wars Chronology that I got off of Paperbackswap.com, a great site, if you love books, check it out.

Then after the trip, in which I explained what had happened the night before, We stopped at the Post Office again just to see if there was any other mail (they do not finish getting the mail out into the P.O.Boxes until around 9am)

Sure enough, I walked out again, this time holding a large envelope and wearing a big grin, the grin is because the envelope has Royal Mail on the postage and Goliath on the return address. This can be only one thing. My signed copy of The Well of Lost Plots that I ordered from Golaith Merchadising!!!

I ripped the thing open when I got home and almost cried, the thing is so beautiful, my first signed book ever!

The Title page has a dedication to me and is signed by Jasper.

Check out the Goliath letter that was in the package, it reads:

Dear <Moms Name>

Thank you for your recent order from Goliath - you are obviously a person of extremely good taste.

The it has some product info. I'm thinking about framing it.

I was so excited that I forgot the Postcard, but as I was flipping through it fell out, It is "Tricks of the Trade #7, a picture of Five Jaspers signing books and one in the back drinking coffee, with the comment on the back "To help with the effort of mass book signings, Jasper Fforde employs several clones he had constructed for that very purpose"

And to top off the day. I got on the Borders website and reserved a copy of the Hogfather DVD so when they get it, I'll get the call and go pick it up!*****

I am not going to repeat a little "Day of Release" mayhem I just went through

The new Ratchet & Clank game was supposed to be released the 23rd..... I went everywhere in two towns that that have games and not a copy in sight, probably spent $40 in gas driving around. I finaly got mine monday.

Now I am going to go and watch Survivor: China, then maybe play a little Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and then savor a little more Hogfather, maybe a page or two.

I am trying to pace myself so I will not finish it until the 13th when I get the DVD but since I am at a good part I dont think I'll make it.... although I can jump to either The Truth, Guards! Guards!, The Last Continent, Wintersmith, The Fifth Elephant, or Men at Arms. I might make it after all.

Oh, one last little Tidbit of news. After I sucsessfully introduced Mom to Fforde She has now agreed to try Pratchett (probably to get me to shut up, I keep telling her to try it) The Colour of Magic is not at the Library so I decided that a good introductory Discworld book would be Theif of Time

Mom knows the basics of Discworld and Time is a standalone book(kinda) She also has Harry Potter V up on the "Currently Reading" shelf,I checked it out from the library and put it there, I hope she takes the bait. That is the only other Book series that I love that she has not read.

EDIT: I got up this morning to find that she has read a few pages of Time, she did not really say anything about it one way or the other but she is getting used to the constant footnotes, which I think is a good sign

Have a Good Weekend!

*Highly questionable outside of T.V shows and Travel documentarys

**or 8.am in Britain! <Laughs Victoriously> I may not know about the money, but I do know the time zone!

*** Happy Scale at 3.5
**** Happy Scale maxed out at 10
***** <Happy Scale Breaks as it trys to register 11>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 03:34PM by Anton.

Re: Ever Have one of those days?
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: November 02, 2007 06:34PM

Hogfather is being released here in the US?!?!? I MUST HAVE IT!

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 02, 2007 10:01PM

Anton - respect for the long post! I like days like that, generally they happen for me if I go into a books hsop and a book I didn't know had been written or released is sitting there talking to me in sweet seductive tones. Also repsect for getting your mum to read Pratchett! Does your mum like Serenity too? I like the name River.

Well, hopefully we will all have some uber happy days coming our way and I am glad you have had two!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.87.236.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 10:07PM

Here is the Link to the Borders Hogfather DVD, just pre-order it and your set!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.87.236.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 10:11PM

We were (and still are) big Firefly/Serenity Fans before she was born, My parents maintain that she is not named after River Tam but.... I dont care, the connection is still there, it will either endear her to Firefly or make her hate it.

Long Posts kinda come naturaly after maintaining a blog at starwars.com for a year. I kinda edited this one down, thinking it would be to long for a board!

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 03, 2007 11:54PM

You are very lucky, my parents are not big into sci-fi or fantasy.

I have had my copy of Hogfather on DVD for a while now as I am a native to region 2,I hope you get it soon and enjoy it as much as I did!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 05, 2007 02:35AM

Anything on Borders about being released in OZ???

Could persuade certain relatives to purchase it for my next present!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.