New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: My Second First Next Request
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 25, 2007 07:36AM

Hope you are feeling better now Bunyip, and don't go near the bad hospital again (I hear they can be detrimental for your health).

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 11:10AM

Best wishes bun. Have you tried the purple pill?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: November 25, 2007 03:23PM

<Offers hugs, and rushes emergency supply of e-chocolate>

<Gets a bit shaky at prospect of parting with chocolate- even virtual chocolate>

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 10:27PM

I'm thinking Thursday may be the one that chops off McBeth's head!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 27, 2007 12:19PM

Accepts hugs and virtual chocolate. Ignores nonvirtual BP and Blood sugar figures.

Plumbing operation was a success - the bleeding even stopped before 36 hours were up and surgeons very happy. Then female nurse took plumbing out of the eye of the needle advising that it would cause 'some discomfort'! Give me a broken shoulder any day. I have pains where the aspirin doesn't reach, have itches where you can't scratch, and generally 30m seconds to get to the bog because the other medication I am on to keep me alive causes loss of control of the bladder muscles.

In two weeks I go in to get my knee repaired, then one more cancer to come off in January.

All this since Christmas last year, and I am ready to kill for a good night sleep. I think Launcelot was a good night but those stories of him and Guienevere may be true.

If it wasn't for the forum and the wise intelligent creative saviour faire enhanced entities that frequent it I think I would have gone totally bananas by now. I have a whole collection of various coloured pills which are supposed to help but they all have a side effect which cannot be accepted. Chocolate is much better - Cadbury's Hazelnut by choice.

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 27, 2007 07:24PM

Mmmm, Cadbury.

Speaking of plumbing, I just found out that the day after Thanksgiving is known not only to retailers but also to plumbers as "Black Friday." Apparently it is one of the busiest days on the plumbing calendar.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 27, 2007 10:40PM

And further on plumbing...
I read the other day some article in which Alan Alda was musing about the final episode of "MASH" (which is still, I think, the highest rating single episode of any tv show).
He claimed that during the first commercial break the New York water and sewerage systems broke down because just about everyone in town took the opportunity and flushed at exactly the same time. Believe it or not.
--------------

And I can't resist my own messy story about when we lived in a smallish country town and our house was on a (steep, steep) hill, with the nearest other residence about 200 metres away.

Our sewer pipes developed an almighty choke and I was watching the plumbers as they sent the 'snake' up the pipe to clear it. We heard a rumbling and thundering and three of us immediately ran for our lives and over my shoulder I caught sight of this roaring gusher that rose about 8 feet in the air.

Sometime later, I heard tell that the house 200 metres downhill had their sinks, bath and toilet erupt simultaneously, with a surge that ignored all the physics of U-Bends. Apparently it hit the ceiling in the kitchen (and if there was an exhaust fan in the toilet, an old expression comes to mind). They never found out what caused it, but I know. I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2007 03:30AM by robert.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: November 28, 2007 11:51AM

oh dear. Preliminary finals was it?

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 10:03PM

Nuts in chocolate, to take the most important bit out of the last however many posts, are a waste of good chocolate space.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: November 29, 2007 03:29AM

Martin,

I can appreciate the sentiment, but I think that the slightly bitter taste of the hazelnuts makes the milk chocolate taste sweeter.

If you eat plain milk chocolate it can make you quite gluggy very quickly. Almond chocolate doesn't seem to have the same effect as hazelnut.

The Macadamia chocolate is wicked but to meet my normal craving for chocolate with macadamia would mean that I would be eating about 17 250 gram blocks a week , and even I think that is pushing the envelope just a little too much.

Whittakers in New Zealand make some good chocolates and I reckon their Hazelnut chocolate is nearly as good as Cadbury's. We went to the Cadbury's factory in the Isle of Incest a few years ago and the goodies bag lasted to even after we had driven back to Adelaide (boat across Bass straight, just to prevent any misconstruings of tale) and then a few weeks more.

Chocolate is nearly like puns: even the bad is good, and the good excellent.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124209.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 29, 2007 04:13AM

I will be working near a handmade chocolate shop- I bought a mastic (Greek flavouring) choclate, a cardamom chocolate and a raspberry chocolate, needless to say they were amazing ^_^

Date: November 29, 2007 05:46PM

Yes, but I like dark chocolate. Which is bitterer anyway.

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 29, 2007 09:55PM

The mini-hershey assortment bag has very few 'Special Dark' and it's always a battle to see who can snag them. Latecomers get stuck with the Mr. Goodbars.

Date: November 30, 2007 12:44AM

Did you read the recent announcement that red wine and dark chocolate were good for the heart?

It looks like I will be drinking Merlot and Grenache and eating cherry ripes, club chocolate, Old Jamaica and Old Gold for a few years yet.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124249.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 30, 2007 04:28AM

Mmm 80% organic cocoa chocolate! wonderful stuff.

Speaking of merlot and chocolate, I bought this amazing chocolate earlier this year which is a merlot chocolate, containing not only decent merlot, but wine soaked currants, twas very rich.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2007 04:30AM by BibwitHart.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: November 30, 2007 07:05AM

I must admit, I usually can't tell the difference between organic food and ordinary mass produced chemical treated food.
Except for tomatoes.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 30, 2007 10:54AM

There is nothing like home-grown tomatoes.

Talking of alcohol and chocolate, we picked up some guiness chocolate in the guiness storehouse and that was unbelievable - the only problem is I haven't seen it anywhere else, and we've run-out.

Date: November 30, 2007 06:15PM

I just eat what I am given. Res is not a place to be if you are vaguely fussy....

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 01, 2007 01:55PM

Never would have thought of that combination, guinness eh? I'll keep my eyes peeled...

My Second First Next Request
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 04:28AM

Pass on the Guiness, pass me the chocolate!

I like nuts in my chocolate- but I also like cayenne in my cocoa, so there you go...

No really, try it, it's traditional!

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.