New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: longer threads
Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 17, 2007 02:31AM

Groans seem to be more common. A friend of mine hates my puns because she says they are obvious.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.ispone.net.au)
Date: November 17, 2007 02:43PM

people who aren't good at punning always say that though...

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 17, 2007 03:14PM

Those who can, do!

Those who can't ....should belt up.

Puns are like sex......even the bad times are good, but the good times are really memorable.

<exit page, slightly upwards of level, to check up on sex memory pills - the blue ones, with a touch of glitter>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2007 03:08AM by bunyip.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 17, 2007 04:15PM

That one is going into the memory banks....

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 05:34PM

Bunyip, just how many colors of pills have you got, anyway? I thought that once you take the blue pill, you just stay in the Matrix forever?

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124170.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 22, 2007 09:34AM

Bunyip probably has a big box of pills, like the tins of derwent watercolour pencils- with 100 odd colours with tantalising names.
I believe Derwent should release a pencil colour called octarine, dedicated to Pratchett.

Date: November 25, 2007 02:22AM

I have a collection of pills you wouldn't believe.

The colours range the entire spectrum, but I haven't tried the ones sitting in the holes which glow in the dark. Some of these are normal colours of various neon tubes, but the ones I am most trepaditious about are where there is a glow but no pill apparent - a sort of multi dimensional flux aura. I hope these improve sexdrive, coz the transmissions shot, but I don't yet know. Some idiot lost the little sheet that tells one what flavour looks like what and what it does.

I should love to try an octarine pill or several but they are missing. They must have soft centres.

The other problem I have is that I have a form of visual defect which doesn't allow me to identify close colours - pinks and softer reds I cannot distinguish between, blues and greys and softer greens are all the same. It makes a mockery of the theory that we all generate the same qualia from the same stimuli, but it also means that what I see and what I think I see are often different.

So life becomes a series of learning experiences, or if I get the right pills, a series of forgetting experiences.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 10:59AM

I don't know what to say to that.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: November 25, 2007 03:16PM

actually, I destroy that theory too... Apparently I have more than the usual amount of douvalackies in my eyes for picking up blue/violet wavelengths.
Weird eh!

Although I don't think this is a problem because I am (oh so modestly) extremely good at colour mixing paint etc by eye. And obviously I don't know any different.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 26, 2007 01:03AM

Cool! I want extra douvalackies too. I like arguing with people over colours- especially when it Obviously green, not brown...

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 26, 2007 12:00PM

I have the problem with describing similar but distinct colours, I know they are different but which colour it is is beyond me - lilac and mauve! But then again I am male so it's genetic.

I had been wondering for a while how to spell douvalackies, thanks BK.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 26, 2007 09:43PM

Kitten, how do you know that it's an excess of douvalackies?
The imbalance could also be caused by the fact that you haven't got enough thingamajiggies which, as every schoolboy knows, tend to screen out blue/ violet.

Date: November 27, 2007 11:55AM

Unfortunately I have a lack of both douvalackies and thingamajiggies and am a few whatsits short as well.

I also have distorted whosibobs so all the world's a smeared image top right to bottom left and I don't think that an overabundant supply of what I am lacking would fix the problem.

Drink does that. When in doubt a 'Rusty Nail' of Glenfiddich and Drambuie with the slightest touch of excess Drambuie works. It kept me alive for several years in England, while I was also consuming English pub food and travelling on Brutish Rail.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 28, 2007 06:10AM

Brutish Rail eh?

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 10:07PM

Sounds about right....

Hmmm... I tend to lump colours, but I sometimes just pretend to be colourblind for fun.

Date: November 29, 2007 03:19AM

<Just been checking the pill box.>

<Saw some that looked black.>

<Tried all sorts of light on them and they didn't turn dark blue or charcoal or anything so I took one.>

<It was a suicide pill - concentrated essence of licorice.>

<later saw that part of box marked 'Lucrezia Borgia pills.>

<philosophical analysis of life's experiences tends to bring forth options of: (1) the pill was past its 'due date'; (2) a lifetimes eating of ''Nigger Boy' licorice blocks' *** has immunised my system; or (3) I'm dead already but too stupid to lie down.>

*** That is what they were called. They cost a penny in imperial money for 4, and then went to four for a cent after 14 Feb 1966. They seemed to disappear after the 1970s coz when I came back from then YUK they were no longer available under any name. Melbas here in Woodside make a visual equivalent but that are hard brittle sugar (65%) blocks with none of the tactile and savoury sense of the old blocks. Does anybody know if there is a contemporary producer of the old licorice blocks in Oz?

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 29, 2007 04:45AM

The last "Choo Choo" bar (a cunning combination of licorice and bitumen) I saw was in about 1988.

They were about 6 inches long and you had to suck them for three hours to make them pliable enough to begin ripping and tearing off a piece which would be small enough for your mouth, which by now was black from the lips to the tongue to the dangly bit at the back. When we were kids, no-one any of us knew had ever finished one, but many of us had permanently black-stained mouths from trying.

Back (or forward) to 1988, and my own kids came running in to tell me that the dog had the plague or something. On inspection, which entailed holding slavering jaws with razor sharp fangs apart, I managed to pry the Choo Choo bar from the roof of the dog's mouth where it had almost set like a big black bridgework.

Yep, that was the last one I saw.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: November 29, 2007 10:47AM

Try Uncle Fred and Aunty Vals old style lolly shop in Marysville. They might be able to help you. They might even post... Might.

Uncle Fred & Aunty Vals Old Style Lolly Shop
Murchison Street, Marysville, VIC 3779
p: (03) 5963 3644 f: (03) 5963 3789

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: November 29, 2007 01:01PM

Perhaps I should explain - quite often I 'surf' through the fforums, picking out interesting looking threads (i.e those where the 'Subject' heading makes me go 'Whaaaa ...?' or where a newcomer is involved - nosey cow that I am) Anyhow, the last post always comes up first, and even where the heading is something quite straight forward, such as 'I'm a newbie, hi everybody,' type posts ... well. let's just say it gets pretty entertaining tracing whatever off-topic tangent the thread is on at that moment back to its original source!

To be fair, I've noticed this on other forums where there is a strong fanbase (rather than the sort that deal in 'information, for the use of') as well as chat rooms (although these can get pretty silly when people run out of things to say, but are scared to log off in case the others talk about them behind their back. Me, for example)

Years ago,I belonged to a sci-fi group who had weekly, real life meetings in a pub somewhere and the same thing happened there - we'd start a conversational 'thread' and let it meander to wherever. Ditto discussion groups at school and college. Nowadays, these meetings seem to be a thing of the past, with everything transferred to the internet etc, but the art of conversation marches ever on! I just find it great that,even though this isn't a live chat room, we can treat it as such and have these open conversations. I've been on some sites (sorry, but jazz discussion groups are a good example of this) where, the moment a topic goes off on a tangent, in steps the moderator to tell us all off. I've even known people get thrown off sites for 'repeated offences,' simply because, being intelligent human beings rather than robots, they expand their knowledge by expanding on the subject/s in question. It's like being moderated by the Cybermen.

I find the whole psychology of human interaction really, really, fascinating, and I just think it's great that people from all walks of life, all ages and nationalities, can get together like this and just talk - intelligently.

Right, so that's one Bud, two Bailey's, a Slagheap Challenge on ice and I'll have a pint of Winkles. With a cherry on top.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: November 29, 2007 01:05PM

I've just read through the entire thread, paying particular attention to the most recent posts.

I take that second to last line back.

And possibly the Winkles - it's definitely 'off.'

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.