New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Anxiety Attack
Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 30, 2007 10:31PM

Just wanted to share my anxiety about my blind date tonight. Thanks for reading.

Pessimist that I am, let me list the negative factors first:

1. It's pouring rain here today - goodbye any attempt at makeup/hairdo!
2. My parents live next door to me and will therefore be standing behind the curtains waiting for me to come home as if I were still fifteen!
3. He's a <gulp!> lawyer.

Okay now the positive:

1. I am leaving the house and going on a date.
2. Repeat #1.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2007 11:32PM by OC Not.

Re: Anxiety Attack
Posted by: Tari (---.ip.grandenetworks.net)
Date: December 01, 2007 12:14AM

Hey, at least you can have someone buy you dinner. Man, that sounds rather mercenary, doesn't it? That's how I always wind up thinking of all my bad dates; it makes me feel like I didn't waste my time. But I hope you have a good time, nonetheless!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You kids with your long hair and Baroque music...

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: December 01, 2007 12:17AM

Lawyer eh? Lets us know how it went. Hope you have a really nice night.

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 01, 2007 02:20AM

no probs with a prenup then...sorry im a pessimst to

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: December 01, 2007 12:07PM

Hope it went well. :)

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: December 01, 2007 12:33PM

Hope it went well for you?

And worse is your parents looking out for you too come home, ow did that go?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 01, 2007 01:46PM

Blind dates do sound a little daunting.. I too hope it went well ^_^

Anxiety Attack
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 04:19AM

Hope you had fun (or at least dinner) on your date with the blind lawyer-
wait, I think I'm confused...

How did it go?

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: December 02, 2007 10:50PM

Waiter: The gentleman is paying, so what will madam order?

OCN: Irish Stew in the name of the law.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: December 03, 2007 03:36AM

I'll fetch your coat.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 08:34AM

Thanks responders. It went quite well, actually. We saw No Country for Old Men. I recommend it. Javier Bardem continues to amaze me.

Um, and I paid for my own meal/drinks/ticket. It seems only fair...

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:00AM

Good on you, OC! Whats the movie about? Haven't heard anything about that one...

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:45AM

It's the new Cohen film (Fargo).

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: December 03, 2007 06:54PM

*whoosh*

Ha! Did not even need to duck!

So... will there be more dates with the blind lawyer?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2007 06:57PM by MartinB.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 04, 2007 09:34AM

OC

I hope that you had a good evening, sounds like it, anyway.

Remember on wet nights you look as bedraggled when you leave as
you do when you return home, so even if previous generation are looking through curtains they are (usually) not able to make comment, except to say 'I hope she has her vest on'

Then fact that he is a lawyer is irrelevant. Every good family has one or two around the edges. I've a couple in the family and as long as you don't offer free food and drinks they generally stay away.

The interesting question is why do your parents live next door?

All kinds of scenarios are possible to envisage, so pleased provide an interesting, if not factually correct, response. An entertaining lie is better than a mundane truth on a fforum. Shades of Rob Anybody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2007 06:34AM by bunyip.

Date: December 04, 2007 10:49PM

When I were a lad we would visit my grandparents on Saturdays. They lived at Mascot, a working class suburb near Sydney airport and there were at least 4 or 5 houses on the same block where close relatives also lived, all (sometimes literally if I got bored) within a stone's throw of each other.

Sometimes my father would ride his bicycle - with me sitting on the handlebars - the mile to an uncle's house, who lived right next door to his brother. The brother was a 'bleeder' and every so often when he'd nick himself shaving he'd call out (name changed) "Tom, nick over here", and my uncle would go over, put a bread knife into the lit gas ring and sear the cut closed.

Those two houses were bought up by the airport in the sixties and are now mere ghosts on the third runway.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124027.rivernet.com.au)
Date: December 05, 2007 02:08AM

Was that what that movie The Castle was based on?

Date: December 05, 2007 04:23AM

I'd never really made that connection but now that you mention it Bib, there are similarities. The whole street (Twelfth Street) was compulsorily purchased, as were - I assume - quite a few more. My uncle and aunt were actually quite happy with the price, and since they then proceeded to move in with my grandparents, it worked out very nicely - probably not so much so for many others though.

The entire area now covered by the domestic terminal at Sydney was houses when I was growing up. A cyclone wire fence ran the length of the street, across the road from my uncle's, with a runway only about 50 metres the other side of the fence. Not many terrorists in those days.

The business in The Castle about the planes going immediately overhead (no more than a hundred metres above the roof) is real enough, though it was only about once an hour, not once every five minutes like today. The only thing you could do was stop talking til the roar passed. Someone would always say, "Geez, that was a low one!" as if they were the first person to think of such a witty thing to say, and everyone else would agree, as if it was the first time anyone had said it.

I must tell the wheezingly good yarn one day about when I flew over Mt Hagen in New Guinea and looked out the window to see a man on the hill top shaking his fist at the plane. We were so close that, except for the window pane, I could have leaned out and shaken his hand. I would have said, "Yes, I know what it's like mate."

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 06, 2007 08:07PM

Good stories, Robert!

I've been in a seminar last 3 days so no time to check the forum, catching up (something like 80 new posts to get through)...here's the short version, bunyip...

I rent in a duplex. The 2nd unit was occupied by my landlady until she "bought up" and moved out, so I offered up my parents to be her new tenants. My parents got @#$%& rent, I got a next-door babysitter, and my landlady got the two cleanest people in the world taking care of her place.

Only later did I find out they are also super-spies in their spare time. I suppose I should have known that already. 5 minutes late is an eternity, apparently...

Date: December 06, 2007 10:28PM

Ah yes, and the red-rimmed eyes because they had been "up-all-night-worried-sick," is all your fault; and "What? You were having such a good time that you can't even spare ten seconds to telephone?" is pronounced with a rapidly rising crescendo that's meant to sound like the cat o' nine that you've lashed across their backs with your thoughtless disregard of decent behaviour. Yes, I've been there.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.