New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What you want for Xmas
Posted by: Tari (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 02:43PM

Martin: Not allowed to use a bow to play rock music? I must disagree. Citing Apocalyptica as my evidence: clicky

I've always thought that with all of their headbanging, all of them must have, at one point, smacked either their nose or their chin into the upper part of the instrument. Not to mention that long hair gets caught in cello strings. It just does. But whatever, Apocalyptica's great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You kids with your long hair and Baroque music...

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 09:11PM

I thought you were supposed to use it like an oversized guitar. Ah well.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 15, 2007 06:51AM

I ordered the Life On Mars series on DVD (the cop show not the Bowie song) And for my birthday i got the DVD pack of Rush(anyone heard of these fab Canadian rockers) it's a three dvd and one cd pak of live concert footage Brilliant.
I think that singing carols is fine but in Australia the thoughts of snow and holly is a bit lost on us as we have our BBQ, still to each their own

We still have a roast all the trimmings no matter what that's one tradition I never want to see ridden of

Happy Christmas to u all and I hope u get what you deserve

A Kit Kat is a Biscuit

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 16, 2007 12:30PM

Thinking of amplified string music, didn't Steeleye Span have pickups on their violins and other noise making equipment.

I have a tape of theirs from a zillion years ago and it was the sort of thing I played when driving back to Kanbra from Adelaide or Perth and it's 3 am and there's not another car in sight and it's 150 miles to the next street light.

And it's summer, so the daytime temperature on the Nullabor plain was about 50C during the day and 10C below half an hour after dusk. Clear skies, northerly wind, no water and the animals Noah forgot all trying to survive on the little amount of vegetation growing at the edge of the bitumen where the dew condensed and ran down.

Such fun days.

Posted by: annie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 09, 2008 10:17AM

I want people to stop using the following dreadful abbreviations:
XMas
Chrissy
Pressies

I want people to stop asking what I "got for chrissy"

<Oh God,I really am a Grumpy Old Woman!>

<cries softly while rocking back and forth>

<thinks about tomorrow's anticipated 41 degrees and and wishes that hibernation was an option in summer>

CHRISTMAS IS ALL ABOUT THE ffOOD, EVERYBODY!! ffAMILY, ffRIENDS AND ffOOD!!

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (212.85.12.---)
Date: January 09, 2008 12:40PM

PrinzHilde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have seen cellos played by rock bands, even held
> over the knee like a guitar, but...with a pick-up?
> How would you attach them?

The answer that follows this mail is the same way a bass fiddle (double bass) is amped up. The acoustic grand piano at my local jazz venue also has an amp coming out the back, not that it's exactly needed,since 9/10 they just hire rhythm bands (no horns), the tight wads! The usual alternative to a DB is bass guitar but I've seen electric double basses (that sound just like a guitar, to my ears), as well as an electric violin - fully weird looking animals, same shape as the conventional but without any middle bit, the way a Supermodel works. Not seen an equivalent for cello; sure they must exist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2008 12:46PM by Jazz_Sue.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: January 09, 2008 03:28PM

Yes, Annie, you are, lol.

I personally refuse to give up chrissy!

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2008 05:47AM

BK, you're living in the past. Most of the stores here already have the valentine's day candy in.

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: January 10, 2008 11:39AM

Valentine's Day candy? How behind the times. Cadbury's Easter Cream Eggs appeared in our local grocery between Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: January 10, 2008 01:56PM

Hot cross buns and easter eggs have been in our supermarkets since new years eve.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124231.rivernet.com.au)
Date: January 10, 2008 11:50PM

You find easter eggs all year round- might as well be Easter everyday. You see people with trolleys loaded to the gills with chocolate- It is a little scary when the chocolate is years out of date. I reckon Aussies should do the same as something I heard has begun in the UK. Distill fuel from out of date chocolate, I heard it reduces landfill over there ^_^
Best use for cadbury ever!
Slinks off with organic fair trade 70% and piont noir choclate...

Posted by: MuseSusan (149.106.224.---)
Date: January 11, 2008 07:57AM

The craft store I worked at over winter break had Valentine's, St. Patrick's, AND Easter candy and decorations by the week before Christmas. I don't even want to know what month they first put the Christmas items out (probably well before October).

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: January 11, 2008 10:56AM

It's why I think the UK could benefit from a Thanksgiving bank holiday weekend sometime in October / November, if only to prevent all the Christmas stuff appearing in stores from mid-September.

Date: January 12, 2008 01:16AM

We have the Spring racing carnival in November, but that doesn't stop Christmas stuff being displayed straight after the grand final.
Valentine's stuff advertised during the Boxing Day Test match.
Easter stuff advertised during the Tennis Open.
Mother's day stuff during the grand prix.

(anyone guess I am from melbourne? and I am not even a sports fan! Melbourne summer begins with a horse race and ends with a car race.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2008 08:08AM by annie.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: January 13, 2008 10:02AM

Hehe, we've probably walked past each other in the city at some point in time and space!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.frank1.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 13, 2008 10:08AM

But not in frood.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124146.rivernet.com.au)
Date: January 15, 2008 02:14AM

I wasn't implying anyone was a frood. ^_^
By the way, I've been watching the Mighty Boosh, does it get better after series two? I liked the first series and half of the second, but I did the like the zoo.
Anyone like this show too?

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2008 06:38AM

I read in Dick Francis that the entire city closes down for the horse race. Is that really true? Is it like a national holiday or something?

Date: January 15, 2008 08:10AM

Cup Day is a public holiday in melbourne metropolitan area only.

It is also they day I bake the family christmas cakes...

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 16, 2008 10:35AM

Yeah, we always had to be kicked out of Uni cause of the cup. Was tough because we were frantically working on our final assessment work and had lots of final firing of kilns to do.Bit silly really, lots of fuss and everyone gets pissed by 12 and falls asleep. Windy weather also, which means all girls have their hands on their heads to prevent hats flying off. All girls are supposed to wear trendy hats that don't stop you becoming sunburnt, and wear outrageous expensive clothing.
Strange isn't it!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.