New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
technophobe alert
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 02:47PM

I make no excuses for the fact I am useless when it comes to computers - especially as my home PC is currently being deloused of a virus. Anyhow, I've got some photos I want to post on this site, at least two of which are DEFINITELY TN related. Only trouble is, they only exist in polaroid form. (I can't be bothered to explain why I've got a Polaroid camera permanently installed in the car, except to say, it's nothing that can't be explained pre-watershed. Honest.)

So - what's the easiest way to get these photos on to this site, bearing in mind we're talking old school 'vinyl' here? (as far as I'm concerned, a digital camera is one you load with your fingertips)The cybercafe I'm using has a scanner, which I guess connects to my PC along with all the others, and I guess the guy will tell me how to use it, but what happens next? I mean, I know I'd have to make a file and all that, but what do I do with it then? In other words, how do I post a link on this forum directing people to my pics, or failing that post the photos direct to the photo section of the site? Also, once pics have been 'injected' (viruses again) into the photo booth, is it possible to direct peeps from the forum page directly to my photos?

Lastly, apologies to the vegetarians among you (look away now) but the word 'dressed' is a bit of a misnomer, don't you think, when applied to game birds, rabbits etc? I mean, the term is supposed to mean the animal once it's been plucked/skinned, and made oven ready, but that would be UNdressed, surely? A dressed rabbit is one that's still got its fur on, and probably gnawing holes in the furniture on the strength of it, in my book. Ditto turkey, or even dodos, except they have feathers and peck, rather than gnaw, but ...

Okay, I own up. The 'virus' was rabbit damage. But you've probably already guessed that.

Re: technophobe alert
Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 11, 2007 10:44AM

I can't help you with your query unfortunately, but I do have a teenaged daughter so I have my own IT literate section when needed - ie, when I am not being called 'sh*thead'.

But I like the idea of naming a rabbit 'Virus'.

I wonder if I should get a second and call it 'Calici'?

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: December 11, 2007 03:18PM

Since I don't know which part of the process will be particularily obscure to you, here is at first an overview. Feel free to ask for details about what remains unclear.

1. First step is to scan in the photo, as you said. That will produce a file that then sits on the cybercafe computer.

2. (optional) Transfer that file to your own computer. The most probable way to accomplish that is to send yourself an eMail with the photo attached.

3. This forum has no ability to store your photo directly. It first has to appear on another website, then you can set up a link that will result in it showing up here (how that is done is explained below). So, where do you get a website to load your photo on? There are several possibilities:

3.a Your own website, if you have one. This could also be a MySpace, LiveJournal etc. page, or a blog you are writing.

3.b A community site specialized in publishing artistic work or photos like Flickr or deviantart. You need to become a member of those sites, so it makes mostly sense if you plan on publishing further photos.

3.c There are also anonymous providers like ImageShack where you can upload photos, even without registering. The downside to that is, noone will ever see that photo unless you post a link to it somewhere else.

4. The actual upload is in most cases done by following instructions given on the site you select. The more specialized the page is on handling photos, the easier these instructions should be to find. After completing this, most pages will tell you an adress where your photo is now stored.

5. Post a link to the photo here on the forum. You need to enter a bit of code for that, but it's not so complicated. You might even get it automatically in the uploading process mentioned above. When your photo is up, look out for a line on the webpage where it says something like "Code for showing your photo in a forum" and copy what is given there.

If you don't find that, here's what you need to enter:
[ img ] http: //www.jasperfforde.com /images/toastblue.jpg [ /img ]
looks like that: http://www.jasperfforde.com/images/toastblue.jpg

Simply exchange the part in the middle with the adress of your own photo, and delete all the spaces around the brackets. I have only entered them to make the code really show up (same with the spaces in the middle of the adress).

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: December 12, 2007 08:30AM

Cool! I'll have to try that one day. Nice instructions PrinzHilde! Very clear.

That virus released to combat lagamorph populations might make a good name for a rabbit: Mixie for short ^_^

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (212.85.12.---)
Date: December 12, 2007 12:01PM

BibwitHart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool! I'll have to try that one day. Nice
> instructions PrinzHilde! Very clear.
>
> That virus released to combat lagamorph
> populations might make a good name for a rabbit:
> Mixie for short ^_^

Ha! I thought of that a few days ago, believe me. My vet told me there's a serious problem with myxie in my area, cos cat fleas can pass the disease on to rabbits, whilst puss remains unscathed.
What's Next? Ah yes - here, kitty kitty kitty ...

PrinzHilde, you are a genius. I thank you. All I've got to do now, is remember where I put those damn photos!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: December 12, 2007 01:06PM

Ever watch The Ferals? They had a rabbit called Mixie.
<Bites tongue to prevent disrupting neighbours with rendition of theme-song>

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: December 13, 2007 04:24AM

You know what? We never discuss quark theory any more.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (212.85.12.---)
Date: December 13, 2007 12:54PM

PrinzHilde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>

> If you don't find that, here's what you need to
> enter:
> [ img ] http: //www.jasperfforde.com
> /images/toastblue.jpg [ /img ]
> looks like that:
> [www.jasperfforde.com] (picture is toast icon - it didn't transfer as a graphic)
>
> The moment I saw my jar of rice and lentils cunningly converted from a random mixture into a snowscape picture of an orange Santa Claus, I knew it was set to be a weird day. Just one question, Prinz - HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW WHAT MY PHOTOS WOULD HAVE ON THEM?
Oh boy, this one deserves a thread all to itself ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2007 12:56PM by Jazz_Sue.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: December 13, 2007 10:48PM

Prince: Masterfully done, You answered the question in great detail and freaked out the questionee at the same time. I applaud you sir....

Robert: Which one?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: December 13, 2007 11:09PM

Or pose mathematical conundrums, for that matter.

Posted by: Tari (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 03:04PM

Isn't that as it should be rob? *flees from mathematics*

Math(s) and I have a love-hate relationship. But without the love bit.

Sue, after your new thread, I am intrigued by these photos. Are we going to get to see them soon?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You kids with your long hair and Baroque music...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.