New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
TP- Sad news
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 16, 2007 03:31AM

Figured somebody else would have already posted this:

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet.

Terry Pratchett

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell. I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Re: TP- Sad news
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: December 16, 2007 03:40AM

Yeah, it's a shame isn't it? I think he's a very well adjusted fella though, so I imagine he'll cope well. Or at least, as well as you can, with that sort of thing.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 16, 2007 12:08PM

It is sadness!

Why is it that the creative constructive people are the ones to have to endure such things?

I could think of about elevntyzillion other people to whom it could happen and I would feel no sadness at all.

But I believe that maintaining a calm internal regime is much of the solution to the problem, along with the appropriate medical regime. I think TP has the other component that is said to delay Alzheimer's - namely an active mind.

We shall think of him in case it helps.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: December 16, 2007 10:54PM

Mm in any case he should be writing many more books which will no doubt, be good for him. It is distressing though, I'm sure he'll pull through though just fine. As BK said he can afford to get the best, which is a comfort.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2007 07:51AM

Seen this disease up close, don't like it.

Hope for a cure. Hope it's not a true onset...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 23, 2007 01:28PM

My dad is in the middle of this and so it it strikes particularly hard.
It is far harder for mum than dad, though.

My good wishes to PTerry and his family.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.