New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
when did you realise you were a grumpy old (wo)man?
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2008 04:13AM

BibwitHart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am always tempted to snip off those little tails
> of hair on people with short hair crossed with a
> mullet. I mean I Have to sit on my hands! It is
> awful! Especially on unwashed teenagers or that
> curious species known as the bogan.
-------------------------------------------------------

They still do that?!
I thought that went out with shoulder pads, skinny ties & acid washed jeans...

*shudders at the memories*

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Re: when did you realise you were a grumpy old (wo)man?
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 03, 2008 07:19AM

In Dandenong and Frankston it is still considere the height of fashion I believe.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: February 03, 2008 02:20PM

You are kidding right? Franga and Dande are WAY too classy for that. Try Corio, Narre Warren and Pakenham.
[uncyclopedia.org]
[uncyclopedia.org]
[uncyclopedia.org]

Yup. Love this town.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: February 03, 2008 04:23PM

Wait.... faded jeans are bad?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 03, 2008 05:38PM

No faded are okay, bleached aren't

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: February 03, 2008 10:10PM

When I was a lad a new pair of Levis resembled fibro planking in texture and pliability and HAD to be soaked in a bucket of boiling water laced with a solvent of some sort (bleach, lye or a weak solution of hydrochloric acid were all readily obtainable from under mum's sink).

Not treating them to a good soaking resulted in a Herman Munster gait and severe abrasion of the inner thigh for the first few weeks. We lived near the beach and some of my mates took to throwing new Levis into the surf for a few hours and then bashing them on the rocks to take the stiffness out.

I was always an Amco lad and disdained the new fangled brand. This made me into somewhat of a pariah for a while, since anyone who was anyone wore Levis and I was considered somewhat of a fashion dinosaur - a tag, as well as Amco - that I've been happy to wear all my life.

when did you realise you were a grumpy old (wo)man?
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 04, 2008 12:27AM

The trend around here was not just faded- that's good, soft & comfortable-
but bleached irregularly, almost like tye-dye, & holes torn all over...

That's what acid washed was- brand new jeans looking ready to be thrown away from the first wearing!

Me, I sewed up the holes in my jeans, but did have the sides taken in so they actually fit the bottom of my legs-
my only defense is that I was really skinny then & if I didn't do that they looked like bell bottoms on me-
um, we don't need to go there, do we?

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2008 02:09AM

Faded jeans are fine, the unwashed hair etc less so. I do remember that particular style of jeans, the holes cost people extra I believe.

Date: February 04, 2008 02:27AM

"Bell Bottoms" has always seemed to describe the wrong part of the garment to my mind (bell-cuffs would be less confusing). But then, with some of Kitten's boab-shaped Bogans, I suppose it would also be pretty apt in either sense.

Bermuda shorts are another thing that get my dander up - I've always found their twee, trim styling slightly annoying and uppity. In the 50's and early 60's, worn with long socks, they were the exclusive preserve of short, annoying, male primary school teachers who wanted to look smart and alert instead of boring and tiresome as they really were, and such clothing should have been legally restricted to this bothersome group.

Still, they're better than the shorty-shorts that have no leg in them at all (some seem to have a sort of 'negative-leg' and slope at an angle upwards from the crutch) which are invariably worn with singlets that have huge, baggy, drooping armholes. The sight of an armpit is nasty enough without flaunting the half a yard of pastey, flaccid flank surrounding it. There we are, back on Bogans again.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 08:34AM

I believe in holey jeans but they must be the result of time and/or circumstance (i.e. thousands of washings, or cat claws, or catching on fences while trying to escape, etc.). Pre-manufactured holes is just cheating.

Date: February 04, 2008 06:57PM

Ya. Although at least those are in non-embarrassing places usually. *shuts up*

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 04, 2008 10:08PM

I remember being stood outside Burtons in my town looking in the window at a pair of paint spattered holey jeans selling for £45 sterling and I'm standing there in a pair of paint spattered, holey jeans that I'd had for 10 years at least and had been used to decorate and numerous other things in and thinking why would someone pay that money for a pair of jeans like that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Date: February 04, 2008 10:23PM

You can buy spray-on mud for four wheel drive vehicles that never see anything dustier than the suburbs. It makes it looks as if you're a rugged outdoors type who has been out bush-bashing.

Why is it that 90% of the sparklingly clean four wheel drive monstrosities I see cruising around town are driven by women in their 30's, dressed in the latest clobber who are invariably steering with one hand because the other is clamping a mobile phone to their earhole? (a practice which is illegal here, by the way - $185 fine I think - because it has been assessed as being the same crash risk as having an alcohol breath analysis of .05)

I like to yell out to them in a panicked voice, "Hey! Your back wheels are following your front ones!" Over the years I've had the satisfaction of seeing three of them pull over, get out and check.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: February 05, 2008 12:30AM

(so what did they find that wasn't to be expected?)

For some strange reason, your description holds true for my quarter in Berlin also - females in their thirties with mobile at the ear...but with one additional attribute: they are all muslimas wearing a headscarf...

Date: February 05, 2008 03:43AM

Now there's an expression you get in Europe but not elsewhere: "quarter" (I've heard the French use the term, referring to what we'd call districts, shires or suburbs and I think they use it in places like Rio, where you get the French Quarter, the Spanish Quarter, and so on).

Why a 'quarter' I wonder. Why not a fifth or a seventeenth? Are they equal quarters, and if not then why are they called quarters? If a new nationality arrives in a city and there are already four nationalistic quarters, do they have to choose one of the existing ones or can they thumb their noses at the status quo and start up another one?
And if we get "information from a higher quarter", does that mean that there are still 3 other people with-holding information from us?
If you can go to the quartermaster's store, where is the halfmaster's store?
In Rugby, there are center-three quarters and halfbacks but what position is the quarter? (We have a similar position to the US football code's 'quarterback' which we call a 'five-eighth' because of the similar play-making roles)
When someone got drawn and quartered, they actually ended up in five pieces (two arms, two legs plus the head and torso) so why didn't they call it drawn and fivered?

These are the sorts of questions I get terribly grumpy about.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: February 05, 2008 12:19PM

er, isn't an area referred to as a quarter because people are quartered there? Reminds me, MUST see Sweeny Todd this week! And when are you *not* grumpy my dear?

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: February 05, 2008 02:41PM

Hey, it only was a translation. The terms used in Berlin would be Bezirk (administrative district) or Stadtteil ("city part", they were independent cities 200 years ago). A neighbourhood in Berlin is called a "Kiez".

Date: February 05, 2008 08:49PM

Berserk? That sounds fun.

I think my grandfather has a street in Berlin named after him. Will have to check....

Robert: I am going to have to try that....

Date: February 06, 2008 12:12AM

I presume you mean, Martin, the thing about calling out to cars - not the thing about getting drawn and quartered.

(though if the latter is the case, can you get someone to film it and put it on YouTube - I'm sure all the phorumites would like to watch)

Date: February 06, 2008 07:26PM

I could draw and quarter someone else?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.