New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Re the fforum
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (212.85.12.---)
Date: January 15, 2008 04:24PM

This place is pretty damn brilliant as it happens, but I've just one teeny suggestion that could make it even better. When you add a post to an existing thread, it's always added to the bottom of the existing list - i.e the entries start with the oldest one first. This means that to read the 'last post' shown on the fforum home page, you have to either scroll or click on Next - several times, if it's a popular thread! I've seen other sites where you can choose between last post first or earliest post first. Thought it might be useful here, if the Great Pajundrum can swing it. Thoughts, anyone?

Gad, I don't believe it. I've written something serious for once. It's because I've spent all day working on my CV, after penning a folder full of important documents, business letters, notes to the milkman etc.

Damn Chinese Zodiac. Damn horoscopes. Damn 'Year of the Rat/hair of the Dog' moments.

Re: Re the fforum
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 03:23PM

Oh ye gods!

Nurse! Administer 15 mg of puns!
STAT!

Posted by: MuseSusan (149.106.224.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 05:49PM

You can actually do a reply to any particular post in a thread, but when you view it in "normal" mode you'll see all the posts in chronological order. But there is a way to view the thread in "thread" mode where you can trace through the chain of replies to one particular post. But I don't think there's a way to sort the messages so that the most recent is first, though I agree that would be nice.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: January 17, 2008 06:53PM

This came up a couple of years ago.

Overall, I don't really mind it either way, but if you have most recent at the top, you read replies before the comment that they refer to wouldn't you?

I doubt that it would make much difference, but could make the ".. so the barman said" and "treehouse" threads slightly surrealistic.

<Looks at mrs. SkidMarks>
"Did I imply that those threads weren't surreal?"
<watches her shake her head>
"O.K. did I infer those threads weren't surreal?"
<watches her nod>

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 09:22PM

Yeah... its not a way I would want it - it would mean scrolling down to find the last post i read, and then back up again.

Just a comment... when you're looking at the list of threads, you can click on goto page whatever to get towards the most recent post more quickly.

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 06:13AM

I always click on the 'last post' and then scroll back to where I left off (except for the birthday thread, o' course).

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: January 18, 2008 10:04AM

I use Feedreader to pick up the RSS feed for the the Fforum. That way you get the "new" posts, for some threads it is definitely easier to find the last one you read and scroll forward - clicking on the first new post in Feedreader takes you to the right place in the Fforum. It don't know if it would work for anyone else - but it does for me!

Posted by: MuseSusan (149.106.224.---)
Date: January 18, 2008 04:41PM

Whoa, I didn't even notice there was an RSS feed! Hmmm…that won't really separate out the posts by thread, though, will it? I haven't tried following a forum by RSS, only blogs.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 08:19PM

I like it like this.

I tend to scroll down until I see the red "new" next to a post.

Why am I getting deja vu here...?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: January 19, 2008 11:05AM

Probably because this debate crops up every six months, lol.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: January 19, 2008 11:20AM

Feedreader does manage to cope with the threads okay - one I worked out that you need to be in the view "Groups by tags". Then as long as the subject remains the same I'm right. This method does the looking for the red "new" tags for you - click on the title and you leap straight to the right place in your web-browser of choice.

Posted by: Barnadine (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 06:55PM

Swish new Outlook 2007 does it for you too... Sort by whatever you want, really.

<< insert hilariously witty quote here >>

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: January 26, 2008 01:49PM

I usually go to the last page and if I haven't been on the system such as the last couple of weeks I go back 2 or 3 pages and read forwards.

As the fforumites are such masters/mistressses(?) of good grammar, syntax, and spelling (not Tori) it is a pleasure to reread the contributions made by our esteemed correspondents as I work my way to the last posting.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: January 26, 2008 03:08PM

Eh, wot?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.