New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Ear Worm Exorcism
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 12:29PM

I like My generation AND the Spongebob Squarepants (AGLTSB) theme...

(All Glory to the Spongebob)

Oh, and I got the *new* Futurama yesterday! WOOHOO!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: March 07, 2008 11:51PM

I like the Death Metal version of the Spongebob theme. Sung by the kCavemen I think....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 01:18AM

I cured my earworms.

I went swimming in the ocean last night and have blocked both ears so solidly I am effectively totally deaf. And also in pain. As I have high gain hearing aids this is a rather weird feeling.

If you read a report that some lunatic was found with a quarter inch auger drill bit stuck through his head via the ear passages you'll be reasonable correct in assuming it was me. I was passed by an ambulance this morning that had all its bells and whistles going. I didn't hear it at all.

I'm off to study Auslan.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: March 08, 2008 11:16AM

So your earworms are healthy now?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope you get it (dis)solved soon.

Date: March 08, 2008 12:57PM

My earworms are no healthier - just damper.

I can hear them gargling tunes like 'Blue Shadows on the Trail' and 'The Keel Row'.

I accidentally* dislodged a 5 metre hardboard (jarrah) floor timber this afternoon and it clouted me on the very blocked ear. I have two bruised sore indentations in the flesh and cartilage behind my right ear. It dislodged nothing in my ear.

* I say 'accidentally' as for all I know you may have knowledge of people who deliberately dislodge 5 metre hardboard flooring timbers to impact upon their skulls.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: March 08, 2008 02:02PM

I suggest resting your head on a heat pack and lie down for 20 mins or so. Not so hot that it burns, just quite warm. If that doesn't work, you might need to get your ears syringed by your GP.

(e-hugs... I had a cold recently, so you have my complete sympathy)

Date: March 08, 2008 11:32PM

Thanks for e-hugs.

In Adelaide we would like a cold. Minimum last night was about 21C, max today is estimated to be 40C, but these are in a nice shaded box with louvres and in flight entertainment watching the wet and DRY hygrometer try to calculate a relative humidity that doesn't exist.

In the real world it is assessed by the number of dead birds fallen on the lawn (that were not there this morning at 6am when I filled up all the water bowls in defiance of 'The Slick' and his cronies at Bullshit castle with the water fountains) and by the 'scorched earth' type scenery we currently have in Adelaide.

A problem I have is faulty ears as a birth defect and syringing them makes for a horrible taste in my mouth as the eardrums perforate easily, And since the jarrah floorboard got me behind the right ear it is not really inclined to want a heat pack on it.

thanks for the thoughts.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: March 09, 2008 04:05AM

My sympathies for your ears--I just got over a cold and (almost) ear infection. Hope you recover to get new songs stuck in your head soon!

Date: March 12, 2008 02:55AM

I am trying to reinstall Callas at her emotive best, with a bit of Josef Schmidt, and a lot of percussion. But it all in mono I'm afraid and doesn't seem to work.

I did get a copy of 'The Lark Ascending' but there is an awful lot of silent bits in at present, and the top notes of the violin are now unhearable by me. More like John Cage than J S Bach.

Apart from a bit of TNT it seems that I am now in waiting mode.

Date: March 17, 2008 12:05AM

Bib,

I did meet two female ladies at Richmond in the 1970. The tall brunette was named Phyllis, and whenever my wife refers to her it sounds suspiciously like she is saying "Syphilis".

I met other female ladies while in the UK, and quite a few nonfemale ladies as well. Be very careful in the pubs near the BBC at the top of Regent Street. Also the pub across the road from the Pontevecchio restaurant in Fulham Road. There was a 'Strikes' eating house near Bayswater that had a staff entirely composed of fellows following the alternate lifestyle. Once they got to know you, and you were straight, they used to tell you all kinds of things about other staff members. And, also, they had bitchiness to sell to PMT Amazons.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: April 09, 2008 04:40PM

It's a god awful small affair,
To the girl with the mousy hair...

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 11, 2008 09:01PM

Do u have a criminal record good one
We had a simlar one Do you have a police record and we'd say i had their first two albums wasnt keen on the others

I have songs in my head all the time and i often hear different ones often i usally get them out by playing them if i have them just once and it removes them

Kylie's I cant get you out of my head, was the one mostly. aptly titled song too

A Kit Kat is a Biscuit

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: April 12, 2008 02:29PM

Oh dear. My criminal record is Aqua's Aquarium. However, I will defend it's right to remain in my collection to the death, TO THE DEATH.
(ahem)

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 13, 2008 03:15PM

So many bad records - so hard to choose.

Break Like the Wind by Spinal Tap? (Especially The Majesty of Rock)
The Saga Begins by Weird Al?
As mentioned by BK Aqua's Aquarium is truly interesting.

No I will go with The Portsmouth Symphonia Play the Popular Classics.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.253-207-192.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 14, 2008 04:48AM

Oh I remember that one Kitten! Gosh, I was a pip squeak when it came out ^_^

I once owned that Hanson cd (deliberately "lost it")

And I own all of No Doubt's albums, I prefer the old school stuff though, absolutely hate Gwen Stefani's solo stuff! The old reggae inspired stuff had charm and great bass lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2008 04:49AM by BibwitHart.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: April 15, 2008 04:01PM

Thanks. I don't feel old now at all...

Oh, and Skids? Spinal Tap does not belong in a criminal record list. Spinal Tap belong on the brownie points list.

Date: April 16, 2008 05:59AM

How about Elvis LP's in mono?

and almost any or all of those Pub Party' recordings where there is always a screeching woman's laugh on the sound track.

When I lived in England I used to go to as many BBC recording sessions as I could and I remember one Beeb producer denying that they had a special recording of that laugh and were contractually obliged to put it in every live recording.

Date: April 16, 2008 07:09AM

Well maybe not quite that young, I was just new to the age of thirteen I think. Near enough!

I like Spinal Tap! I love that gig they did in the film at that business corporate event.

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 16, 2008 06:28PM

My really bad records werent so bad at the time its the stuff i like now from the past that no one has heaard of that get people squealing from the room

Bands from the past no one here has heard of Half Man Half Biscuit
Bad cd i still like Stuffed by Mother Goose
A Kiwi band that sounds like chipmunks do acdc

I still own a Rolf Harris record

I know i need medical help i know i know

A Kit Kat is a Biscuit

Date: April 17, 2008 09:11AM

I think I have heard the chipmunk one, and Mother Goose rings a bell somewhere..

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.