New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: An Introduction...
Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 11:54PM

Yes, but you've got the little railway line up into the hills where the mythic folk live.

All Aberaeron has is about 13 pubs, a harbour, the annual tug of war across the harbour mouth and a long (sobering) walk up the hill to Cilcennin.

If we plan it right we can have equestrian events at Milford Haven; Track and Field events at Abervan; track cycling around the grounds of Cardiff Castle; White water events at Anglesea; and the Olympic village near the eastern marches near the Severn.

Drug testing will be done at that little whisky distillery on the back road from the Brecons across to the west coast. Mind the milk trucks which will be used for official transport of VIPs. The drivers have already been trained to the required level of courtesy and all theose blue and white colour schemes fit well with the reference to ancient Greece. (red and brown for blood and dirt might be more correct, but it's symbolic, innit?

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: March 09, 2008 06:17AM

Ssshh... Don't mention the mythic folk. They're still unhappy that I'm going back to visit next week.

Plenty of opportunity for the triathlon in Wales too. None of those flat trails for runners and cyclists here!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:48AM

Are mythic folk anything to do with sheep?
<ducks>

Date: March 09, 2008 12:01PM

No, the mythical folk are best left undefined. They are funnier that way, although rather prickly.

Also, there are far too many sheep for them to be mythical. Buffalo are mythical there, though.

<Geese>

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:36PM

Why is it that mythic folk are always represented as having absolutely no dress sense? No wonder they're unhappy.

<Pelicans>

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 10, 2008 10:12AM

Must be the sheep, when in doubt check either the sheep or goats.

<Auks>

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: March 10, 2008 10:18AM

I can confirm that the mythic people of Aberystwyth are definitely not sheep, although they do worship HAH-NAH, the local goddess of Mathematics.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: March 10, 2008 03:53PM

Ooh, I want to go there!

Date: March 10, 2008 06:29PM

Be sure to take a sacrifice of some kind to lay on the floor of the Maths and Physics building. In keeping with current obsession, I will deposit a hardback copy of 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' when next I make pilgrimage (next week). Please, no candles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 08:55AM by EgonSpengler.

Date: March 12, 2008 02:25AM

What intrigued me about Aberystwyth was how small it seemed. When I first went there in 1977 it was shortly after I had driven across Australia from Canberra to Perth via Melbourne and Adelaide - about 2600miles in Imperial units. My car took more space to turn around than was enclosed in the city limits there.

But up in the hills in the back country there are some wonderful places where it is (?Was) so quiet that one could here individual sheep bleating across the valley, which was green and evidently enjoyed 'water falling from the sky' at frequent occasions.

Then, as Wales had some of the designated low flying zones RAF, for then use of, one would not hear the Buccaneer fighter come through the valley at about Mach 1 and about 50 feet above the ground. At one place there is a ridge between two mounds and I reckon they cross that at about 20 feet altitude.

They also made Welsh Whisky back inn those hills which is where the moonshiners of the US took their inspiration , or perhaps they were just brothers in spirit.

Date: March 12, 2008 09:07AM

Both the beauty and the curse of the place is its remoteness. It is remarkably beautiful in places and deserted still up in the hills but on the other hand if you want a non-uni facility of any kind you're in trouble. The best example is the cinema, which is a one-screen outfit run by two people, who move from the box office to the concessions stand to the projection box as the process goes on. It's funny in a silly way.

Darn, I miss it now. Who's for cake?

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: March 12, 2008 09:20PM

The cake is a lie. Sorry.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: March 12, 2008 09:22PM

It looks real to me... Ooh, cherries!

Date: March 13, 2008 02:28AM

What is the Welsh national cake?

Do they have different ones for the south and for the land of the mythic folk?

Date: March 13, 2008 08:46AM

The closest things we have to national cakes are 'bara brith' (speckled bread) and Welshcakes (flat discs of lard with flour and sugar). Both of these have added currents, raisins and/or candy peel.

There's also Welsh Rarebit, but I wouldn't want to offend the mythic people further.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: March 13, 2008 06:46PM

I have always wondered why they could not just spell "rabbit" properly.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: March 13, 2008 06:51PM

It's actually nothing to with rabbits, but rather that Wales was so poor that cheese was rare, and so cheese on toast was a 'rare bit' of a treat.

Shaming but true.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: March 13, 2008 10:30PM

I was going to say that I like brains on toast, but given the definition above, I don't think I will. Doh! Just did.

Date: March 16, 2008 11:44PM

I always though that leek cake with shredded rugby boot laces was the National dish of Wales.

If it's not, what was I eating?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.