New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cheshire Cat vs. Yorrick Kaine
Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 12:52AM

I'd put this on the TN-4 board, but someone here (MuseSusan, methinks) told me that book-specific threads tend to die out pretty quickly. If someone of authority here thinks this ought to go in that board, I'm totally cool if they move it there (not that it'd make much of a difference if I was completely opposed to it).

Anyway, here's a little gratuitous observation. Remember the "Sword in the Stone" style fight between Yorrick Kaine and the Cheshire Cat near the end of TN-4? I was somewhat disappointed that the Kraken was mentioned as the ultimate and most dangerous monster in all of fiction. Firstly, because the so-called Kraken isn't fictional, it's a real species of giant squid as you all already know, and I really doubt Jasper was at a loss of fictional monsters to put into that scene. What about C'thulhu? Surely he is a much more threatening figure than a giant squid? He's no longer under copyright, and in my own humble opinion he deserved that spot far more than the Kraken.

Then there's the case of Grendel. Why was Beowulf able to just slice him up into eight pieces with his sword so easily? If you care to remember the story, the whole "gimmick" to Grendel was that he could not be defeated by weapons, and that Beowulf was only able to kill him (or at least rip off his arm) when he was unarmed. That's another of those small things that made such a cool scene much less memorable in my mind...

I wasn't happy about the non-fictional T-Rex, either.

WARNING: Off-topic anecdote to follow.

But in happier news, I have spread the Nextian word! I went to the library the other day to check out one of the Fforde novels I haven't read and was appalled to see that the place was 100% Fforde-ffree! What's worse, the librarian didn't even know who either Jasper or Thursday were! So I sprung into action and immediately requested the titles to be brought here. And on Monday, they finally arrived! I can't wait to force my book-loving friend to read them. I'm sure he'll totally dig them once he gets the hang of that world.

----

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. -Mel Brooks

Re: Cheshire Cat vs. Yorrick Kaine
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 01:08AM

Excellent points, but I still love the blue fairy coup de grace!

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 16, 2008 08:17AM

Ever since I watch Futurama I can't look at C'thulhu and not see Zoidburg, sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: February 16, 2008 03:17PM

Kraken the mythical monster is quite different to Kraken the giant squid.

C'thulhu, though I did totally adore Lovecraft as a kid, has become far from intimidating for me since I saw this:
[www.hello-cthulhu.com]
[www.hello-cthulhu.com]

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 16, 2008 04:35PM

and this dents cthulhu as well
[i218.photobucket.com]
And him taking on Iain 'M' Banks
[i218.photobucket.com]

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: February 16, 2008 06:57PM

I think I have to agree--Cthulhu definitely isn't the monster he used to be. Neither is the kraken, for that matter.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 08:41AM

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: February 25, 2008 12:06PM

I read the description of the Kraken, with description and assumed it was secretly Cthulhu... perhaps Lovecraft gets the same treatment as Poe, it's too disturbing for most book people to get involved in.

Presumably the Tyrannosaurus wasn't the mere oversized predator known to paleontologists, but a fictional T-Rex: a giant, unstoppable rampaging, (possibly fire- breathing) enormous, beast of doom!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: March 06, 2008 03:43AM

Much like my grade 6 english teacher.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 08:28AM

I remember up until about third grade the principal actually had a paddle stuck on a kind of shrine on the wall of her office. It never came down, as far as I know. It was just there to scare us. It wasn't half as scary as she was. Ah, St. Clare's, and the days with the old nuns therein...

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 01:17PM

St Clare's? Sounds very jolly hockey-sticks!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: March 08, 2008 12:00AM

What do unhappy hockey sticks look like?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: March 08, 2008 01:13AM

Like an aged Xaveria Hollander.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: March 08, 2008 01:56PM

Did you solve crimes and foil smugglers at half-hols?

Date: March 08, 2008 11:36PM

No I committed crimes and defoiled Kit Kats in mine holidays. Nothing done by halves, only quarters.

Date: March 09, 2008 07:52AM

Like whom?

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:39PM

Yes, I do. I'm quite fond of whom actually. What can get on the nerves though.

Date: March 12, 2008 02:48AM

I'm sorry, but:

ON a bus an old lady over heard two gentlemen from the sub-continent discussing a word. One said 'it is spelled 'whom' and the other demurred, saying' Oh no my friend. It is definitely spelled 'whooom'.

After a while she got sick of this and interuppted them saying 'Excuse me gentlemen, but it is spelled 'womb'" and the left the bus.

After she had gone one turned to the other and said: "How does she know what sound a blue whale make when it farts to 500 fathoms?"

Date: March 12, 2008 09:17PM

I have heard it, but fart jokes are everfresh. So to speak.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: March 13, 2008 11:06PM

"How Abu Hasan Brake Wind" is perhaps the earliest written wind-breaking joke. I say 'perhaps' because Sir Richard Burton includes it in his translation of the "Arabian Nights" (the first English version not to be Bowdlerised) but it is largely suspected that Burton wrote it himself.

Abu Hasan disgraces himself by letting fly in front of the local nabob and goes into exile for many years. Eventually thinking that he may have suffered enough, he sneaks back into town one night only to overhear a conversation where a woman says something like, "Oh no, we can't do such and such tomorrow, because that is the anniversary of the day that Abu Hasan broke wind".
Abu runs back into exile crying, "Woe is me! My fart has become a date!"

Burton himself was apparently notorious for it. 'The Miller's Tale' (coming up to 600 years old) has one that leads to rather painful consequences.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.