New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New Pratchett on Sky - opinions?
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 18, 2008 01:12PM

I've just watched 'Colour of Magic - The Making of' for the umpteenth time, and all I can say is - Terry was bang on, waiting all those years till the right people came along to turn the words into reality. It's as near to the Bookworld version as you can get - all the characters were right there, even the Luggage. I missed out on Hogfather cos we didn't have Sky then, but I'm off to the DVD store right now.
You know the best bit? This is the beginning of a long and glorious franchise yes. But, even better, nobody with Virgin Cablevision can access Sky, and as an ex-Branson customer I was waiting for something to come along and wipe the grin off the smarmy little git's face!

Re: New Pratchett on Sky - opinions?
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: March 20, 2008 02:11PM

Argh, they'll probably take another year before they release it here in the US!

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: March 22, 2008 09:26PM

I don't know I haven't seen it yet.

Got offered a copy off a friend of mine, but refused as I've spoken to someone that is a friend of Cpt Jack Sparrow who'll be handing me a copy in plain brown wrappers some time in April, as thats when I get back to work.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 08:15AM

Due to the little spat between Branson and Murdoch (neither deserve an honorific before their names) we no longer get Sky 1 and so I will have to wait for the DVD.

<SIGH!>

Posted by: Haylo (---.range81-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:31AM

Well I take it back about David Jason- thought he did a v good job as Rincewind, and the whole thing looked just amazing. I do prefer the other voice of Death though...

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:49PM

So, confused as I am, The Colour of Magic is out already on DVD? Or is that merely wishful thinking...
Even better will it be out before Kitten's birthday?

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 25, 2008 09:05AM

There was an interview with pTerry in the Guardian over the weekend, where he talks about Alzheimer's, or as I have heard it called "Old-Timer's".

http://books.guardian.co.uk

Date: March 26, 2008 09:32AM

Not legally no, but we all know someone who knows someone, and I will be buying it when it comes out.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:31PM

lol, not that ur spoiling any suprises!

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: March 26, 2008 09:43PM

Now that you mention it Numbers, I know someone who knows someone who has Alzheimers and as soon as I remember who it is I intend to ask them... er, um... about it, yes, about it.

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: March 26, 2008 11:25PM

Unfortunately unlike Haylo, I thought David Jason pretty much scuppered an otherwise excellent production - he was very good at portraying an incompetent wizard, but he completely missed Rincewind. Even when I'd finally got into the show, and Jason's performance, enough to see "a wizard" as opposed to David Jason in an unusual beard, I still felt sort of shocked every time I saw the hat proclaiming "Wizzard".

In essence, the problem was a lack of fear. His build was wrong in the first place (Rincewind is very definately supposed to be tall and gangly, and relatively youthful), but his perfomance missed the mark completely. The fundamental part of Rincewind is utter fear, a desperation to cling onto life above all else, and resignation when he realises he has to do something since it will take him into a situation very slightly less likely to kill him. David Jason, on the other hand, appeared to portray someone whose defining characteristics were a smart mouth, a reasonably quick wit (both of which Rincewind has to an extent, but not necessarily quite as prominently) and, most of all, a simple lack of genuine fear at any point - or even nervousness bred out of over-familiarity with fear. He seemed far too keen to do everything.

Vetinari was wrong too; seemed more like he just stepped from a pantomime than Machiavelli. Would anyone in a city like Ankh-Morpork actually take him seriously?

Otherwise, I did by-and-large love the show - I thought the Luggage was especially good, along with the Librarian pre-transformation. Tim Curry was quite amusing too...

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: March 27, 2008 01:16PM

"Vetinari was wrong too; seemed more like he just stepped from a pantomime than Machiavelli. Would anyone in a city like Ankh-Morpork actually take him seriously? "

That's what the scorpion pit is for.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: March 30, 2008 06:34PM

Was it Vetinari though?

I do not remember if the Patrician was named in CoM and have not got a copy around to check.

I do remember that it sounded like someone very different to the current Vetinari at the least.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: March 31, 2008 07:54AM

Actually, come to think of it, I dont believe it was. But they may have said it's Vetinari in the film (don't know, haven't seen it) because everyone knows Vetinari... Plus, if they follow it up with something at the other end of the series, it wont look so disjointed.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.253-204-32.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 31, 2008 11:33AM

Just started re-reading CoM, and the Patrician is definitely not Vetinari. There are mentions of both Lord Winder and Mad Lord Snapcase in later novels. And Wikipedia here has the Patrician as Vetinari.

editted to correct url format

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2008 11:35AM by CannibalRabbit.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 10:05PM

Patrician... could be Vetinari. He's not named in the books, and there are certainly a few things he says/ does that are very Vetinariesque... but there are things that aren't.

I think the patrician is first identified in sourcery (he certainly has wuffles) and sourcery is sufficiently close to COM that it is probably the same patrician in each.

Terry has said that the patrician in CoM *is* Vetinari, but an alternate, proto-vetinari, from a different trouserleg of time

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 01, 2008 05:03PM

A lot of the characters in the first few books aren't quite the same as their longer-established counterparts. Granny Weatherwax in Equal Rites is COMPLETELY different--she even flirts!

Date: April 01, 2008 08:21PM

Is Death the same as in the book or has he(it?) become more like he was after Mort?

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 02, 2008 11:00AM

DEATH seems to have the same sort of personality, maybe not as rounded but definitely very similar. An anthropomorphic personification of death, the process of death doesn't seem to be as well developed - that it is whatever you expect of it.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: April 02, 2008 04:12PM

Possible spoilers.

I was just thinking about it and I do not see how, in the grand scheme of things, the Patrician can be Vetinari, because he is very different as a young man in Night Watch.

End of spoilers.

Of course, no one says that the Discworld books are internally consistent....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.