New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 14, 2008 01:31PM

Howdy, I'm not sure how many people would be interested but someone's started uploading classic 70's editions of ISIHAC on the Internet Archive and they are of course very funny!

[www.archive.org]

Re: I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue
Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 14, 2008 06:55PM

checked it out funny stuff featuring the goodies classic comedy thanks for posting it

Posted by: Lymond (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 09:03PM

is that legal in the copyright sense? otherwise I shall load a few up

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 14, 2008 09:42PM

It's definitely all legal and copyright-free under US law. It gets a little murkier unger UK rules but if you're comfortable with Project Gutenberg then you should be comfortable with this.

--

As he gobbled the cakes on his plate,
the greedy ape said as he ate,
the greener green grapes are,
the keener keen apes are
to gobble green grape cakes,
they're great!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.253-207-192.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 15, 2008 05:10AM

What is ISIHAC about? I'm going to enjoy some more of The Goons Show! Thanks for link, thought someone would have uploaded some!

Date: April 15, 2008 08:47AM

'I'm Sorry I haven't A Clue' is the self-styled radio 'antidote to panel games' and has been running on Radio 4 since 1972.

In the beginning it starred the Goodies plus Jo Kendall doing silly things to music and making bad jokes to a nonsensical scoring system before rapidly moving to the cast of Barry Cryer, Graeme Garden, Tim-Brooke Taylor and Willie Rushton.

If you've never heard a duet of kazoo and swanee whistle then you've been deprived! Inspired silliness at times!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 10:52AM by EgonSpengler.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 06:05AM

I actually went to recordings of this show in the early 1980's. Just before Chaz and Di got hitched.

One recording session they had Nigel Distemper** as a guest and he described the situation of the happenings in Royalty land. It was about the time of the train episode. He talked for about 45 minutes and it was all deleted from the program broadcast, but we all knew that as Humphrey Littleton said at the end of Nigel's piece that we should all forget what we had just heard for it would not be played in outr lifetimes. He then said that if anybody had to leave to go now as ity was about 2pm and they wouild still be recording the progams at 3pm. I was late back to work.

I still have some cassette tapes of the programs here. I always though tthe best bit was the 'arrivals at the .... ball' Among those remembered was the Politivcians' Ball where Homosexual Bill gave his Queen's speech.

**real name wasa/is Nigel Dempster, for those who have not come across him before.

Date: April 16, 2008 06:07AM

Another thought:

If you hear any of the 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' shows please let all and sundry know, especially me, as I'm not sure if I'm and 'all' or a 'sundry'.

To my mind these are cleverer than the Goons, especially if you like puns.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.253-207-192.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:14AM

well I might just have a listen, I thought perhaps it had something to do with The Goodies, but could find no reference to Graeme, Tim and Bill in the blurb. Now I know!

I have to say, that I grew up listening to The Goon Show and can remember liking it at age 4, only I mostly laughed because of all the audience laughing.... I reckon I used to have a crush on Gritpipe Thin!

Date: April 16, 2008 09:19AM

With regards to 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' I have found very little. You can still listen to repeats on BBC7, the home for old BBC Radio shows. Very little escapes the archive that is BBC7.

MEEP!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2008 10:03AM by EgonSpengler.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 16, 2008 01:49PM

Wasn't there a thread here a little while ago about Mornington Crescent? That was a way to make a few hours disapear from otherwise productive web time.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: April 16, 2008 04:40PM

It pops up in various threads. I had no idea what on earth they were talking about with that, til I started listening to old tapes my mum and grandmother used to make off ABC radio.

Date: April 17, 2008 02:15PM

I have been hearing Mornington Crescent for the last 40 years and if someone can explain it in very simple words to me how it is supposed to work I will be grateful.
Remember I studied Philosophy at Uni so explanations need to be kept to the childlike level.

Heisenberg is reputed to have said that he had only two questions for God - quantum physics and meteorology.

I would have to add Mornington Crescent.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 17, 2008 03:08PM

There's always Wikipedia

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: April 18, 2008 07:04AM

Yes, bugger the meaning of existence. What about Mornington Crescent...

Love it!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 07:42AM

Bunyip,

if after all this time you still haven't worked out the rules of "Mornington Crescent" you need to hear the ISIHAC recording explaining it (available for sale - so no need to download copyright material) or buy/borrow the book here

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 04:42PM

Poor old Humphrey Lyttleton is in hospital recovering from an operation to correct an aortic aneurysm. It's looking like the spring season of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue may have to be postponed.

Jon Naismith, the show's producer, has said that he will print out messages sent to this email address to take to Humph in hospital and hopefully cheer him up:

isihac@btinternet.com

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 21, 2008 07:44AM

The news about Humph is sad. At least he's had a long and productive life and been working for what seems like forever. I can't even imagine someone replacing him on the show.

Of course he could still come back!

Egon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2008 09:24AM by EgonSpengler.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 26, 2008 11:17AM

Sad, sad news

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 26, 2008 04:29PM

I'd never heard of ISIHAC until this thread, but I've been very much enjoying the episodes on the archive. Sad to hear about Humph.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.