New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Great McGonegal, eat your heart out!!!
Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2008 11:22AM

No comment.

Posted by: Cordwangler (---.vo.lu)
Date: June 01, 2008 03:47PM

Yeah, I remember Beachcomber.

I never realised Barry Took had scripted it, though I shouldn't really be surprised.

"Threadgold's Thorogrip Garterettes
Stay taut the whole game through".

Julian Orchard as a camp ballet critic wittering on about a Russian ballerina called Chuckusafiva.

Frank Thornton standing at a lectern reading from the "List of Huntingdonshire Cabmen."

And of course the immortal Dr Strabismus (whom God preserve) of Utrecht, played by Spike himself.

Inspired lunacy, which had the bad luck to coincide with that other lot of inspired lunatics, the Pythons.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: June 03, 2008 02:19PM

Just looked it up on the Wiki and Beeb sites.

My memory had Beachcomber being out before Python but they were contemporary. Perhaps that shows just how refreshingly new Python was when it came out.

Posted by: SkidMarks (92.40.191.---)
Date: June 17, 2008 11:42AM

Wasn't the t.v. show based on a newspaper column? I only vaguely remember reading it , (collected articles released as a book) but I am sure that most of the characters originated in the column. Of course my memory could be having an "off" decade....

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: June 19, 2008 05:45AM

Just thinking back. I had a book titled 'Laughter in then Air' written by Barry Took when I was in the UK. It came out late 1970s'/early 1980s but I left it behind when we came back home. The book was a history of BBC radioo comedy from start - really Arthur Askey and perhaps Richard Murdoch through to the late 1970s'. I'm not sure if 'The Burkiss Way' got a mention. Good read it was and very informative.

I seem to recall that Barry took had the position of 'head of Comedy - other than management decisions' in the Beeb and was involved in the creation of Monty Python as well as Beachcomber.

Must try to get another copy of said book.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: June 23, 2008 09:30AM

Sounds very good....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.