New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Sick news vs sick humour
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 11:35PM

Sorry, but the moment I read this, my mind started boggling. In the Mail, yesterday:
A couple clearing out the house of a recently deceased relative were horrified to discover the 50 year old bodies of two new born babies, wrapped in towels and placed in the loft.
Apparently, they had gone undiscovered for so long because, and I quote, they had been mistaken for Christmas decorations.

Right. It's all over to you lot now.

Re: Sick news vs sick humour
Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 07:02AM

Who had been doing the mistaking, may I ask?

If it was the deceased rellie, how long had they lived in the house?

If not, was the deceased rellie female or male? Is it possible to be pregnanat and have no one notice , twice, or perhaps, twins?

Maybe they were abandoned by aliens, just to reverse the publicity the aliens have been getting all these years.

Besides, if you have an angel on top of the tree, little animal derived images around the tree, why can't you have a couple of the little darlings as ornaments about the hpouse?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: May 15, 2008 11:06AM

I don't think I can make any jokes about this one. Not sure what's wrong with me!

Date: May 16, 2008 12:03AM

Me neither, Bonzai. To be honest, we Brits seemed to have a penchant, about 50 years ago, for 'disposing' of infants in this way - wrapped up and put in a suitcase in the loft, only to be discovered after Mum has passed on and her surviving children discover the 'grizzly' secret. (Funny expression this - tiny skeletons are sad, not grizzly. Unless, of course, they were an alien/bear hybrid thing)
I imagine it was an out-of-wedlock home birth that went wrong, especially if they were twins. Like, it had to be kept secret but she couldn't bear to part with them, hence the lovingly wrapped bodies. Sort of Norma Bates in reverse.

Or maybe they were born okay, but Mum was just a bit thick: 'My grandma said, Mum couldn't afford a cot, so she used to be put me in the bottom of a chest of drawers. I guess anything you put clothes in would be okay, so I'll use this old suitcase. Now, what would she do next, I wonder? Oh yes, slam the drawer shut ...'

It was the whole Christmas thing that got my emotions confused. Every time I think, evidently a family who had a loft full of decorations but could only bother with the two bin bags full of tinsel and plastic reindeer right at the front, like I do, another image enters my mind: Of Dad standing back, admiring his work, and saying: 'Another nice display. Yes, I know the angels are looking a bit tatty, but at least we got one for each tree. It'll look alright once the lights are switched on ...'

I try not to have such thoughts, I really do.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: May 16, 2008 12:17PM

Are we talking about the bare truth when you say a grizzly secret?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: May 16, 2008 03:35PM

lol, Jazz, you are going to get me sent to hell being that funny!

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 16, 2008 07:00PM

Stories like that affirm my believe that the 1950's weren't the 'golden years' that the Daily Mail likes to make out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Date: May 16, 2008 08:44PM

Tell me about it - I was born towards the end of the era, bang in the middle of London. No wonder infant mortality was so high. There was so much smog about, I came out kippered. Probably why I survived - born with a natural immunity to parents on 160 a day between them. (Cof, cof as Andy Capp would say.)

Date: May 21, 2008 03:35PM

It's almost Jonathon Swift and his modest proposal about the poor in Ireland. Keep a couple for afters, or perhaps as emergency rations.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: May 30, 2008 11:23AM

Here's a good/bad one from way back in 2005...

[www.msnbc.msn.com]

This is the sort of thing that should only happen in urban myths...

A woman who hung herself was mistaken by her neighbours for a halloween decoration and remained in place for until well into the next day unreported... But here's the kicker- Halloween wasn't happening for another five days.
That people thought it was a all just a halloween decoration may be one thing, but even if someone DID put up a realistic dead body prop (and it wouldn't exactly look UN-realistic), or even an extremely FAKE dead-body prop over a busy road- around here, at least, the cops would be knocking on your door within about three minutes, and there would be a special meeting at the town council about decoration regulations within minutes... And that is even if the body was festive-themed with tinsel and grinning elves or something. (ooc: I just shocked myself, because that was suddenly very interesting- apparently I'm a creepy f-d up chick!).
Certainly it wouldn't remain up until the next day!

Sorry, medication making me a bit vague!

Date: June 01, 2008 03:44AM

BK,

an exception. Only if the Vic police didn't put it there themselves.

If you watch commuters in any place in the world you would be forgiven for thinking the dead are up and walking. So it is the abnormal ones whoo finally run out of motive power that are noticed.

Why don't we check the various parliament houses around the country to see if there are any more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2008 04:03PM by bunyip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.