New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
digitechnophobia (chapter 193)
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 17, 2008 07:10PM

Right. I know I shouldn't be as thick as this, but I need someone in the 'know' when it comes to computer usage. Everyone on this site except me, it seems.

I google around, find a site I think might be of interest to this forum (in this case, an independant home page dedicated to exposing corruption and misdeeds within the DWP) but how do I insert a link that will take users of THIS forum straight to it? You guys do it all the time, which means it must be a pretty simple procedure, but I ended up having to type the address in 'long hand' and hoping the site would sort out a link was needed - which it didn't.

It'll be useful for my blog, as well.
That's a big empty space at present, though. A bit like my head.

Re: digitechnophobia (chapter 193)
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: May 17, 2008 07:59PM

Ooh, a blog!

Adding links is theoretically quite easy.

You just find the website you want. Click in the address bar, highlight everything by pressing ctrl-a, copy it by pressing ctrl-c (keyboard freak, I'm sorry), and then paste the address into the required space on your blog by pressing ctrl-v when the cursor is where you want it to be.

Alternatively, if the above was far too patronising, just copy and paste out of the address bar into your post or blog.

I hope that helps.

Egon.

[oliverbain.multiply.com]

(Although I'm plainly not Egon but I like the name. It's very Spenglerian.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2008 08:44PM by EgonSpengler.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: May 17, 2008 08:56PM

Whereever you're making your blog, they will probably automagically recognise websites, so all you need to so is type in the address eg http:/ /www.jasperfforde.com (without a space bettween the //) and it will turn into a link:

[www.jasperfforde.com]

If you're putting a link in here, but you don't neccessarily want people to see the whole address then use [ url=http://www.jasperfforde.com ]text[ /url ] (without spaces in the brackets):
text

But... that code probably won't work on your blog - instead you'll need propper html. use <a href="http://www.jasperfforde.com">text</a> to do the same job.

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 17, 2008 08:56PM

okay copy and paste by right clicking
paste, as below,

[www.youtube.com]

click preview to make sure it works, then click post message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Date: May 17, 2008 09:26PM

Aaaand, at this point, I'll be off for a quick one at the local, with the latest copy of 'PC Guide' to use as a pillow.

Son will do the rest because I went completely wrong shortly after 'Ooh, a blog!'
Seriously, ffolks, I'll try all that just as soon as my hard drive stops laughing at me ...

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 17, 2008 10:09PM

Okay I was a bottle of @#$%& red to the fore when I posted that message, and I'm worse now, and it still makes sense now,so it can't be that wrong.

Just remember that the link post is for this site, on other try [url ] [ /url or < url> </url>

I've cunning put a space in each one there so that they didn't vanish into the ether.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: May 18, 2008 10:40AM

What the above posts fail to mention is that in all cases you must not forget to start the adress with "http://".

As for computers laughing with glee: It's the programmers the laugh is on. Consider for example Egon's first advice: yes, in principle, you can simply type the adress in, and the software will convert it. But this is only true if you use the form with the http thingy in front. And then, the blog/forum output will show you a link that consists of the same line, only the http is omitted. No wonder if anyone with a halfway sane mind (i. e. not immersed in computers for half of the day) will get it wrong.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: May 18, 2008 11:02AM

As a certain person has said many a time regarding knowing how to do computery things; "It is intuitive"

Which, on the contrary, is complete and total bollocks.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: May 18, 2008 11:19AM

If you just copy and paste the whole thing out of the address bar then you get the http: part and it all works fine, so it's not an issue.

E.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: May 18, 2008 12:47PM

Jazz care to share the address of your blog, or are you shy?

It may be easier for us to help if you tell us which blogging software you are using - Wordpress, Blogger, Typepad . . . . In Wordpress there is a link button on the Write Post toolbar, and it does the coding for you.

brizbunny.com

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: May 20, 2008 09:02AM

Okay, don't panic, but we may have killed Jazz.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2008 10:39AM

Nah, she's just still typing.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 02:29PM

No, she's gone of tho Roneo the text and to post it out via snail mail or by fax.

Date: May 27, 2008 05:45PM

Oy you lot, I'm back!
Sue's guide to technospeak. Hokay, you are sooo gonna love this:
1.) Attend 'career furtherance' workshop. Discover self is so technophobic it would be 'wise' to go on a 'simple' computer training course. One with an internet backup link. Discover course at local college, and sign up for duration.
2) Get as far as page 2, module 1, in the 'under fives'introductory on-line workshop.
3) Decide to get Sky Broadband so I can log on to sites like this from the comfort of my own armchair, rather than the £12 per hour cybercafe at Gatwick.
4) Discover free McAfee antiSpyware package is totally ineffective - owing to inability to instal free startup disc - thus injecting a whole bloody herd of Trojans into hard-drive and disabling computer forthwith.
5) Get Puter Whizzkid No1 to put it right.
6) Watch, whimpering, as he suggests system is hopelessly underpowered an virally infested past point of recovery, and that he won't do a thing until I promise to buy a new one. And then he kicks it.
7) Instal £600 worth of brand new fully operational dual core processor with latest Vista software and connect to Sky broadband.
8) Watch as whole thing fails to light up.
9) Call out CWK2, who gives it a kick before saying, 'Smart. But you'd have been just as well off getting me to sort out the old one for you, you know. I'd have only charged £75. He was talking out of his arse, it's not that bad.'
10) Fail to get £600 back (okay, I made that bit up - I truly, truly, love my brand new Acer dual core processor) Instead, pay £85 to be a 2 computer household with wireless broadband and freedom from constantly demanding Friday-type teenagers wanting to go on U-Tube whatcha doing logging on that boring old forum site for haven't they learnt about textspeak yet?
11) Move desk so I can reconnect to broadband.
12) Wonder why I can't.
13) Discover mangled remains of internet phone point beneath leg of desk.
14) Call Sky. Get told, a week next Tuesday.
15) Get very very drunk.
16) Twice.
17) Sky repair damage, reconnect to modem point in separate room which didn't work when I tried it - because I'd, ahem, 'Connected it up wrong. But only slightly.'
18) Get told in passing, by Sky techie, that it might be a good idea to 'Enrol on a simple computer course. One that's got an internet backup link, like the one at the local - ow.'
19) Get told I've reached final interview point for job I applied for a month ago. Hospital theatre technician, responsible for preparation and sterilising of vast numbers of very sharp, very deadly looking surgical instruments to a high degree of cleanliness and proficiency. All metallic hardware, with a couple of autoclaves attached. Steam-driven hardware, in other words. No digital technology ANYWHERE - except in the email telling me this.
20) Close down, with loving tenderness, all files and folders relating to my ECDL college course. For good.
21) Log on here.

Date: May 27, 2008 05:49PM

22) Whoops - should have added, put previous post as first entry on new blog page, which is currently totally empty as I've forgotten the bloody password ...

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: May 28, 2008 06:51AM

That would have been fine but you got the process slightly out of order which, as always, threw things off. Steps 15 and 16 should have been 1 and 2 respectively.

Always remember: "cometh the time, cometh the brandy".

Date: May 28, 2008 11:14AM

Actually, steps 15 and 16 should have been 1 and 2 - repeatedly.

Posted by: PirateXxEsque (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 28, 2008 11:36AM

Or maybe just repeated throughout the entire set of instructions?

Also, BBC code might work...(It doesn't work on here, so copy and paste and edit to your liking could work)

[url=http//www.google.com.au]Google[/url]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.