New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Pelicans
Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: May 26, 2008 06:07AM

Just a quick request:

Has anyone seen our pelicans anywhere?

My wife and I went along the Murray River to where the pelicans congregate near Murray Bridge. No pelicans> A bit further down the river one pelican doing student pilot type flying up and down the line of the river, catching thermals and orographic air currents from the cliffs on the eastern side, then returning to repeat it all over again.

Then one low flying pelican coasting about a metre above the water until it disappeared from sight.

Down to Lake Alexandrina and the Goolwa barrages. No pelicans. There were fish, but very few birds.

Can we have them back please?

Re: Pelicans
Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: May 28, 2008 06:40AM

Don't they go North for winter? If I was a pelican, I certainly would.

Posted by: PirateXxEsque (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 28, 2008 11:33AM

I thought they went to their beach houses? I saw alot at Moruya on the weekend...

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 01:44AM

I don't know. We suffer from all the youngsters leaving South Australia and now its gone to the birds.

There are some on Kangaroo island, coz they feed the buggers there. It's really only at a feeding station that you really appreciate how big a pelican can get. No wonder they look like Orions on maritime patrol duty.

We had some at the Zoo a few years ago but they kept busting into the cafeteria area and stealing food and small children so they despatched that lot.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: May 30, 2008 12:42PM

We've always got a few around here.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: June 02, 2008 11:40PM

Don't they all go to St James Park this time of year to fleece the tourists?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: June 03, 2008 12:21PM

My little brother once fought off a pelican for me when I was a kid, lol. I was terrified of it and it thought I wanted to give it food...

And it was bigger than us!

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 04:20AM

Doesn't Lear refer to Goneril and Regan as 'pelican daughters'?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.