New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
silly thoughts
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 30, 2008 03:43AM

It's funny what you see when you're walking round Morrisons.
Example: Wholemeal Farmhouse Spelt Bloomer.

No it's not, it's spelt W-H-O-L-E-M ...

Re: silly thoughts
Posted by: Cordwangler (136.173.62.---)
Date: May 30, 2008 07:49AM

Reminds me of a story told by my brother, who went to live in the US 25 years ago and now runs a garden centre in Minnesota.

(To get this one you have to know that "sod" is the American for turf.)

He was in town one day in early May, after a long day preparing bedding plants for sale, and passed a rival establishment with an advertising board reading:

SOD
BEDDING PLANTS

He says he knows exactly how the guy felt.

Date: May 31, 2008 12:52AM

Ha! I see things like that the whole time - especially on the sides of white vans. The village I used to live in was a bit of a yawn, and I always remember our 'celebrations' for the Queen's jubilee. The sign in the road read: 'SLOW STREET PARTY AHEAD.'

Boy, were they ever right about THAT one.

Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: June 01, 2008 01:29AM

we have a "SLOW CHILDREN" sign hanging on one of the trees in the parking strip outside my house. it's been there since we moved in, and the silhouette of the child looks like they wouldn't be able to move very fast...

-------------
almost always around on the (un)official Ffordian IRC (chat) channel, #tnext on esper.net . one can go here [www.esper.net] and after it is done loading, type /join #tnext and you should be there!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: June 01, 2008 02:42AM

As children we always wondered about the 'Stock Crossing' signs we saw in the country.

The question was always: 'Catholic Cows'?

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: June 01, 2008 10:32AM

What about the "Heavy Plant Crossing" signs that you used to see around the countryside. That always used to conjure up images of trees pulling their roots out of the ground, crossing the road and re-planting themselves.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: June 02, 2008 12:13AM

That old chestnut, "This Door is Alarmed" is still around and the one we liked best at school was the (apocryphal?) newspaper headline in Britain during one of the world wars, "British Push Bottles Up Germans" (still a good example of the value of a well-placed hyphen).

On the weekend we had a good front page header - apparently squillions have been spent by the government because data showed Aust children were too fat and now new data shows the original statistics to be dubious, so 'The Australian' ran with "Hysteria about obese children inflated". I wondered if the same hysteria would erupt if skinny children were similarly given a bit of puffing up.

silly thoughts
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 02, 2008 12:38AM

There used to be a sign that never failed to crack me up, but you'll have to imagine the whole thing:

PECANS

<picture of pecans>

BUY SELL CRACK

I so wish I had a picture of it!

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: June 02, 2008 02:20PM

I still like the one on the outskirts of Swakopmund. You are about to leave the city and drive into the Namib Desert. Sign: SAND

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Cordwangler (136.173.62.---)
Date: June 02, 2008 04:05PM

Clearly put there by operatives of the Ministry for the Bleeding Obvious.

Like those signs on board ship which say "Floor slippery when wet".

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: June 02, 2008 04:15PM

one a recent road trip i saw unfortunate dead kangaroo on the roadside 100 metres later a warning sign to waarn drivers to look out for wildlife...Now if only that roo knew how to read ..Important lesson there kiddies

Date: June 02, 2008 05:54PM

I know I'm in W.Sussex now, but it can't be any coincidence that the vehicle in front of me at a 10 mile roadworks tailback is ALWAYS a liveried coach bearing the proud message: 'Crawley Luxury.'

Date: June 03, 2008 01:45PM

There's always the 'Stop Children' signs near school crossings.

I think eradication is possibly the best solution.

At some level crossings there are 'Give way to trains' signs. Very similar to the 'Do Not Feed The Elephant' signs .

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 04:18AM

A road sign seen plenty of times in hilly areas (well, they're mountains to us):

'Falling Rocks Don't Stop'.

Date: June 05, 2008 02:40AM

Like the estate agent's signboard, seen on 'For Sale' houses all over the South East: 'Gasgoine Pees.' Doesn't everyone?
Ella Fitzgerald. Lucky lady.

Date: July 16, 2008 08:32AM

Don't know if it is the same in overseaslands but when you go into bookshops in Oz you often see books sorted by genre. So you have: Travel; Cooking; Fantasy/SF; crime; horror; biography, etc.

Usually theyalso have a section marked 'Literature'.

Why?

Don't all the other categories also contain 'literature' or is there some 21st century effect that sorts out some but not all?

Most of the books in 'literature' are either dull and boring, or contain no jokes. So perhaps it is a filter of sorts to remove books that no one other then Eng Lit students will want to read.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: July 16, 2008 08:02PM

Bunyip: That is the way I use the genre. Anything in it can be safely ignored.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 17, 2008 04:27AM

Careful, almost every bookstore I know has Jasper's books in the Literature section.

Date: July 20, 2008 05:16AM

MuseSusan,

What else do they have in the Literature section?

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 20, 2008 06:10PM

Most of the classics, plus a lot of modern writing that simply doesn't fit into any of the other categories. It's not necessarily any better, it's just not fantasy, mystery, romance, etc. so it must be "literature".

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.