New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Villainesque
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: November 13, 2008 01:10PM

The only *real* villain is the Big Bad Wolf.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 04:29AM

The Big bad Wolf is a victim of deforestation by pigs building houses and destroying his natural habitat.

A real arsehole is James Potter - Harry's dad. In all the books there is nothing written about him being nice to anyone and lots of him picking on less capable people - Snape mostly. Usually with his gang, as described by Moody I think. Even when he knows he is being hunted by Voldemart he goes about unprepared and of no use in defending his family.

Snape comes out as being far more acceptable and extremely proficient at doing his duties in relation to Harry's destiny.

Any one else got a comment on this, for I may have got the wrong idea over seven books?

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 14, 2008 05:33AM

I agree with you there. I'll go so far as to say that if I was the editor, I would have set a word limit for Ms Rowling and have hidden her endings, the last book had two that didn't work as far as I am concerned.

I read them mostly to know what my younger sibling was going to read (so as to do the adult guidance thing) and to make some form of sense out of the films.
I do believe that they did bring some popularity to reading for kids, which is always a good thing and certainly an upgrade from those books with titles that include the word "underpants" or some such thing.

Mr Chesney from The Dark Lord of Derkholm is a good villain too.

Recently, I have seen a huge influx of reading caused by the Twilight book series. Never have I been so annoyed with a main character before, Bella is irritating.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 14, 2008 08:05AM

Must agree with you about James Potter and Snape, Snape needs to get a new PR agency.

Sauron always comes across as an arch-villain. But perhaps he's just a tad too obvious.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 14, 2008 08:09AM

It is the eye thing yes? Flamboyant! Flair, shows off the evilness.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: November 14, 2008 08:51AM

Miss Piggy is a rather potent villain. She's assaulted, bullied, and victimized more people than I can even remember.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: November 14, 2008 11:04AM

She's not a villain! She's a role model!

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 07:07PM

Agreed! Hiiiiiiya!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 10:09PM

I still argue that Sauron is misunderstood, not a baddie.

Who commissioned the rings?
Who stole them?
Who took them then failed to fulfil their obligations?
Who tried to destroy proerty that was never theirs?

Justice for the Big-Eye One!

Date: November 21, 2008 05:04AM

Yep, Sauron had the same agent as Judas. Set up for a fall. More people have been killed, tortured, maimed, harassed, discriminated against, victimised, downtrodden and generally got the wrong end of the stick in Jesus' name than in Judas's. All he got was a goat named after him.

I think that from now on we should all protest when some poor individual is made out to be the bad character due to the writer's fancy. If you are an evil malicious being then it is how well you do the evil and malice that counts, not the 'badness' in itself. So if you are a competent evildoer then you should be given an achievement badge whenever things go horribly wrong for the good guys.

In that sense Acheron was doing his function pretty well until he got hit with the silver bullet that he was not to know was in the chamber of Thursday's gun. His death was an accident, not a planned event, so his luck ran out. Other than that he was good at his function.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: November 22, 2008 01:54PM

Nicely said. You should start work on Lady MacBeth's defence immediately!

Date: December 01, 2008 03:48AM

Yes I've a spot coming up on Friday. I think I've got a bit better than a ghost of a chance, but first I've got to go down to Birnham wood coz some teddy bears have been getting picked on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 04:36AM by bunyip.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 04:00PM

Bonzai Kitten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Full marks, skids! Well done!
>
> Now, for your next question: Elvis Presley pulls
> his face off, in *which* R.R. book?

Only a year and a half later: "They Came & Ate Us - Armageddon II: The B Movie"

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.